I'm screwing around with the main page

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Roza
Priest
Re: I'm screwing around with the main page

Post by Roza » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Vespasian wrote:
Furiel wrote:
Vespasian wrote:
Blackferne wrote:I may regret asking this, but does my 2006 iPod nano open me to heathen scorn? It is the only Apple product I've ever owned. And technically it was a wedding gift so it isn't like I spent money on it.
Heathen scum.
Says the man that spent much of his visit to WI messing around on his iPad...

Glass houses motherfucker. Glass. Fucking. Houses.
I was making a joke. Its called IRONY.
We don't have that in Kentucky.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Furiel wrote:So, do we mean to have the blog button launch a new instance of your browser so you have the current one still on the forums, and the new window goes to the blog? I'm thinking not but that's what it's doing for me right now.
That is intentional for now. The reason is that if you look at the forums using the forum test page for embedding and click any link that would take you off the forum including the blog link you get the blog within the blog. Which as much as I love:

<Image removed for size and cuz I'm a prick>

I didn't think that made for good web design.
I disagree, I think clicking links automatically opening a new window is bad design.

Want something in a new window/tab? That's why they invented the right-click menus. Learn it. Use it. Love it.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:27 pm

So I guess that brings up a good question about how we want links on the forums to behave. Obviously we want links for the forums to stay within the browser/tab we are on. But if someone links something external like http://www.google.com do we want the default to be (as it is now) stay in the same tab/browser navigating away from the site, or would it be better to have external links go to a new tab so you don't have to hit back to get back to the forum. Ignore the should a special alvian blog link behave this way.

I ask because I was looking through mods for the forums and saw one that does this and was about to install this evening.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:34 pm

I vote C neither.

See if there is a mod that does it like the official ToR forums do, that external links give a popup saying you will go external if you click this and give the option to continue or launch a new window.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Furiel wrote:I vote C neither.

See if there is a mod that does it like the official ToR forums do, that external links give a popup saying you will go external if you click this and give the option to continue or launch a new window.
I haven't seen anything like that yet, but I can look more closely for it.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:51 pm

Roza wrote:
Vespasian wrote:
Furiel wrote:
Vespasian wrote:
Blackferne wrote:I may regret asking this, but does my 2006 iPod nano open me to heathen scorn? It is the only Apple product I've ever owned. And technically it was a wedding gift so it isn't like I spent money on it.
Heathen scum.
Says the man that spent much of his visit to WI messing around on his iPad...

Glass houses motherfucker. Glass. Fucking. Houses.
I was making a joke. Its called IRONY.
We don't have that in Kentucky.
It's just like bourbon, it comes in a cask and has a sweet taste to it. You should try it sometime.
Cuspar eats dead people.