Tanking stat weights

A forum to discuss topics and issues relevant to the Jedi Knight class in Star Wars The Old Republic
Furiel
Cardinal
Tanking stat weights

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:25 am

This is coming out of a conversation I had with Timmah tonight about tanking and stat optimization. This base info applies to all tank classes, the chart posted will be for the tank spec of the class I post or re-post in.

The way to read the chart is as follows...
Total stat budget is = adding all of the shield, absorb and defense ratings on all of your gear. Current tier gear will get you somewhere in the 1400-1600 range most likely. Due to the way the stats are applied to gear you will probably end up with more shield rating than is optimal only because you cannot trade shield for either defense or absorb. If you have any questions, please ask.

pool defense shield absorb
1400 769 290 342
1500 775 345 381
1600 786 392 417
1700 800 448 452
1800 818 498 485
1900 858 546 516
2000 860 593 547
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Skiggity
Bishop

Re: Tanking stat weights

Post by Skiggity » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 pm

These are target numbers that would be an optimal setup for each class at the given tier?
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Yes, the chart varies some by class, which is why I posted this in each class forum with the chart appropriate for that class in their post.

Obviously these also carry over to their Imperial mirror as well when/if we ever get to the point of having max level and optimized Imp toons too.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

TimmySchneeks
Priest

Post by TimmySchneeks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

<3

Should make augmenting fun!
TimmySchneeks | Boccior - Gunslinger | Qixx - Sage Healer | Lagdalen - Guardian Tank | Tom'Mato - Vanguard DPS | Käylëë - Sentinel

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:44 pm

TimmySchneeks wrote:<3

Should make augmenting fun!
When I decided to not augment all Fortitude on Montae and augment for mitigation instead I made a bunch of both absorb and defense augments so as my stats change I can easily swap out a few augments as needed to keep myself as optimized as possible. It's obviously a little more expensive, but worth it. And as evidenced by me still rocking some tionese pieces and us still killing T&Z Wed night the optimization was worth it.

The Plush Family:

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 pm

This differs a lot from the Guardian prevailing target:
Absorption (50%) = Shield (50%) > Defense (25%) >= Endurance > Strength >= Accuracy (110%)
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Skiggity wrote:This differs a lot from the Guardian prevailing target:
Absorption (50%) = Shield (50%) > Defense (25%) >= Endurance > Strength >= Accuracy (110%)
Am I going to have to send you to remedial tank school?

As a tank you do not want accuracy, ever. EVER!! EVAR!!!!

So to be clear in case there is some confusion you never want to have any accuracy on your gear. Period. This is not open for debate.

To expand on why tho... All mobs, from the weakest pissant to Dreadtooth himself have 0 defense chance. Yes I said 0.
But Furiel, if they have no defense when why do I miss them sometimes?
Cuz you suck at life?
Ok seriously, whether or not you actually suck at life not withstanding, it's cuz you used a M/R attack. By default you M/R accuracy is 90%. The only things that effect your accuracy is any accuracy on your gear, talents, and the companion perk. You do NOT get accuracy from any of your stats. By default your F/T accuracy is 100% before gear, talents, etc.
So, any F/T attacks are always going to hit regardless of your accuracy because again, 100% accuracy - 0 defense = 100% hits.
If you look at your abilities, the majority of them are going to be F/T attacks where accuracy is unneeded. The M/R attacks you may have usually are the weakest hitting and ones you use as filler to regenerate resources. And you get the resource regen whether they hit or not.
Additionally, you are sacrificing mitigation for a minimal threat gain. Since you can't get accuracy from stats, only from accuracy rating that means you have to trade a mitigation stat for it. And unless you are augmenting for accuracy you HAVE to trade accuracy for shield rating as those are the 2 that share a stat slot. So to increase the likelihood your low threat generation filler abilities hit all the time you are losing a significant chunk of survivability by lowering your shield chance.
From what I've read and looking at tank parses, etc, even though you have about 90% M/R accuracy it in practice seems to net out to be about 3-5% of the time you will miss with a M/R attack without any accuracy. Which now takes us back to how little threat you lose out on compared to how much survivability you would gain by increasing your shield %. Especially since all of your big threat abilities for all tank classes are F/T attacks or a taunt which again, won't miss.

Finally, the ratings that I listed would put you close to those target %s you listed, and that is for perfect optimization. Unfortunately due to itemization and stat customization limitations they cannot be reached, they are just good guidelines to use to try to get as close to optimal as possible.

Here endeth the tanking lesson.

Note: M/R and F/T are short for Melee/Ranged and Force/Tech

The Plush Family:

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:44 pm

That's why Accuracy is listed as the least important in that tree, I think.

Alephia is very close to that 50 Absorption, 50 shield, 25 defense stat, but her figures are
defense 446
shield 606
absorb 348

total pool exactly 1400.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 pm

If only there was a way to trade shield for some other defensive stat...

The Plush Family:

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 pm

I am getting a 4 percent shield boost from one of my tree items, but yeah, it struck me as weirdly stacked for the 50 percent. And I have no understanding of why 348 absorb gives 50 percent, while 606 is needed for 50 percent shield. Tanking math hurts my head, DPS is easier; more = more.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Also, ran with an Uber Guardian last night, geared for TFB HM and EC Nightmare. He was running the following hybrid tree: check out the Commanding Awe bonus in Vigilance tree, he swore that was worth it. I might try for giggles one day.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500Rr ... GrMMhzzM.2
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 pm

The hybrid spec is completely viable from what I've heard/seen. It also has a separate stat priority pool...

pool defense shield absorb
1400 838 268 295
1500 837 327 337 (counterintuitive)
1600 843 381 375
1700 854 434 412
1800 870 484 446
1900 888 533 479
2000 909 581 511

that is for the hybrid spec

As for the ratings and why they count for different totals, I think that's just a balance thing because of how BW did itemization, but I can't say for sure.

This is teh math thread I pulled this from...
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=567164

The Plush Family:

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Skiggity wrote:Tanking math hurts my head, DPS is easier; more = more.
Until you start doing the math between Power, Crit chance and Crit bonus....

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 pm

MOAR IS MOAR!
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:04 pm

You clearly need MOAR ACCURACY on Skiggity, because you know, MOAR IS MOAR!!!

The Plush Family:

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:44 am

Skig's accuracy...

-Skiggity, Sage DPS