Star Wars Rise of Skywalker Thread

Shows, Films, and Books. Want to rant or rave about one, here is the place,
Blackferne
Archbishop
Star Wars Rise of Skywalker Thread

Post by Blackferne » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:02 pm

So that was a Star Wars movie.

It had some good things, some bad things, some interesting things. It was at times too much movie, and others not enough. Some stuff just didn't make sense to me. I didn't like some of the cinematography choices because it broke with some of the aesthetic in earlier installments of the sequel trilogy. Also the force makes less sense to me now than anytime in the 42 years I've been watching star wars.
My take away is the mandalorian is the true heir to star wars and Jon favereau should have just been given the sequel trilogy over jj.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Furiel
Cardinal

Re: Star Wars Rise of Skywalker Thread

Post by Furiel » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:33 pm

It was most definitely a movie. There was a sense of closure to some things, but a bunch of stuff was left unanswered that bothers me. I don't think it was bad. But I also don't think it was great.
Specific thoughts are in spoilers
Spoiler:
Things I didn't like that I felt were left unanswered: What was Finn actually going to say to Rey? Supposedly in interviews after he was going to say he was force sensitive, but that just doesn't fit to me. The feelings he's had for her through all 3 movies have been obvious, so why chicken out on it now.
Speaking on love interests, Finn could have had 4 total and they dropped the ball on ALL of them. Finn/Rey, Finn/Poe had a gay romance possibility. Didney never would have allowed it but the potential was there. Finn/Jannah could have turned into a thing at the end. And Finn/Rose that got straight dumpstered in the movie.
Speaking of Rose, where was she? She seemed to be moving into being a primary character by the end of Last Jedi, sorta following a Lando-esque rise to prominence from the original trilogy, then she just...disappeared. I feel like they went so far into fan service with the movie and because there was a lot of internet buzz about people not like Rose and her love story arc with Finn that they just shelved her to avoid dealing with it. Which is just an awkward, chicken shit move. Take 1 minute to have her approach Finn before he leaves with Rey to track down the locator and her her be like "I love you" and him be like "You're cool, but I have more important things to deal with" and he looks at Rey. Rose looks at him for a moment, it dawns on her and she runs away crying. Poe asks him what's up, he doesn't want to talk about it, movie moves forward.
2 years later I still have issues with Leia flying in space, but it makes a bit more sense now that we know she actually trained as a Jedi. But I think it was kinda BS that in the one seen we see her training that she was beating Luke.
Are we seriously supposed to believe the Palpatine could destroy an entire fleet with force lightning? For real? Even at his seat of power, somewhere strong in the dark side? I call bullshit.
Speaking of calling bullshit on something...Palpatine had a kid? Really? And he let them wander off like that to do what they want?
Can someone please explain to me where that second transport came from the Rey blew up? At no point did they show there were 2. Now suddenly when we need Chewie to live there is?
And how exactly do you ACCIDENTALLY throw force lightning? Considering that I've always got the impression that force power usage was based on belief and intent and it was pretty clear Rey's intent was to pull it back to the ground telekinetically, not blow it the fuck up with lightning. I has a confusion.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Spoiler:
I think you hit on a lot of the problems pretty well. Oddly the Disney trilogy makes me appreciate the prequels more. Lucas took chances, and the fans balked, but he still was able to make a cohesive trilogy out of it. Attack of the Clones could have been better, but the political machinations were interesting, but definitely should have been explained better.

The Disney trilogy seems to rely too much on nostalgia, but then takes weird leaps with what the force can and can't do. Kylo Ren and Rey were very interesting characters, but it seemed like they never got to explore the interesting parts of it.

My favorite parts of Rise was the whole Rey, Finn, Chewy, Poe, and the droids going to that festival and the ensuing segment from that. It was what felt like the first time the new gang got to be the adventuring crew together. They have a good dynamic, more of that while they sort stuff out.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:03 pm

I enjoyed the movie and probably the best of the three. Same as the others enjoy the movie while watching it, with the least amount of head scratching afterwards.
Spoiler:
I like that they came right now and said Finn was force sensitive, as I was calling that as how he had resisted the brainwashing from the first order. Now if only they would come out and say Poe Dameron is as well, cause no one can convince me otherwise they used Corran Horn for inspiration.

I wish they came right out that Ray is a Gray Jedi, I suspect her use of force lighting is supposed to hint at that. As unless the Emperor is causing an imbalance in the force just getting rid of him and Rey being the only one left standing doesn't balance things otherwise. Removes an evil yes but if she is a light side jedi only that just swings the pendulum to the other side, Not balanced.

Not the answer people will want to hear but I suspect Finn letting Rose down occurs in the Extended Book Rise of Skywalker.

Though I doubt they could get the Main Three to sign on I do think should have Rey train a new set of Jedi as a mini series on Disney+ as it doesn't make sense as a main part of a movie. This would also give a continuation of the love rivalry between Finn and Poe for Rey's attention, granted Poe seems unlikely but otherwise why was he busting Finn's balls on what he was going to tell Rey. I however give Poe the best chance at being the rebound guy for Rey after Ben. Along with at least some of the other troopers that threw off the yoke. Though I suspect Poe resisting being trained as the Alliance can't be without its leadership for too long, aka Lea attitude in Legacy, somewhat doing so in response to Finn joining and would give the option of him jumping in and out of training.

One pet peeve is why isn't Ben a force ghost on Tatooine.

On a side note I do like the implication that Mace Windu survived his fall on Coruscant as unless Qui Gon Jinn let Mace know about the ability before his death seems highly unlikely to have know how to when facing Palatine. Thus had to survive to meet up with Yoda, presumably more looking for allies to bring the fight to Palatine, to receive the knowledge to train in it.
Overall I wish Disney would come right out and say just how heavily they are drawing inspiration from the Legacy Universe to both give credit where credit is due and to just hand over the next trilogy to them. I will preorder today for the whole lot if they reveal Timmy Zhan is the lead writer for it.
Last edited by Staris on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Spoiler:
My issues with it are (in no particular order)
  • We can fit a death star gun on a star destroyer now? If they had made the gun set fire to the atmosphere or something, I would have been cool with that. But actually destroying an entire planet was a bit much.
  • Was there a movie in the middle that I missed that went into Rey and Ren's romance? Where did that kiss come from?
  • Why do you need a giant tube and a connector the size of a toaster to transmit data to a droid? Is R2 not bluetooth enabled?
Other than that, I thought it was pretty good.
Also, I saw it a 2nd time with my in-laws over Christmas. In the scene where they first show them approaching the planet, there were 2 transports. I made sure to pay attention because I didn't remember a 2nd transport either. All the other scenes only show a single transport.
And I agree; The Mandalorian is where it's at. I think one of the problems is that the movies have been too 'sugary sweet'. The Mandalorian is more gritty. That's where Star Wars needs to head.

Takanudo
Scribe

Post by Takanudo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:26 am

So, the entire Star Wars Saga was about a man who tried his best to bring order to a corrupt galaxy, doomed to repeat the same mistakes, but was constantly frustrated by bureaucracy and dogma. Is that the lesson?

-Takanudo (is looking for a though line)

Takanudo
Scribe

Post by Takanudo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:38 am

Also, does every seemingly bottomless shaft actually lead to another narrow gently sloping shaft that leads to a weather vane. Is that how the Emperor survived?

Star Wars Architecture School

Student: Professor, why did I get an F on my Shafts 101 final

Professor: What is with all these ridiculous pipes around the ledge

Student: I call it safety railing

Professor: Absurd! Someone could easily flip over them. And you are missing the gently sloping shaft to the weather vane. Your death trap deserves a failing grade.

-Takanudo (...can you imagine everyone’s twin sister forced to scrape the shattered remains of their brother from the floor of that shaft)

Takanudo
Scribe

Post by Takanudo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:46 am

Postscript: I took Shafts 101 and it was nowhere near as funky as I thought it would be.

-Takanudo (will shut his mouth, even though he was just talking about Shafts!)

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:43 am

Don't shut your mouth when you have shafts in it...

You're damn right!
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:15 pm

I still have not seen this movie. My wife hated Ep 8 and hates Disney more so just didn't find a chance while it was still in theaters.
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21