Solo thread

Shows, Films, and Books. Want to rant or rave about one, here is the place,
Blackferne
Archbishop
Solo thread

Post by Blackferne » Mon May 28, 2018 5:14 pm

I liked it. It is nice seeing a Star Wars movie without any Skywalkers for once.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Staris
Priest

Re: Solo thread

Post by Staris » Tue May 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Overall I really enjoyed watching it. I am willing to see it again over re-watching Infinity War but I would be more willing to watch Deadpool 2 again and again.
Spoiler:
My only complaint is forcing the Kessel Run cause they mention it produces Spice where as they don't mention raw Coaxium so why the hell does a Kessel vault have raw Coaxium. I get that its so they end up where they do to have Han give the refined to the Rebellion, but either put Refined Coaxium in the vault or have them stealing spice. I'm guessing it got traded but why the hell would anyone try to trade volatile raw Coaxium and especially who the hell is dumb enough to accept it, cause if that ever went off in the vault would have destroyed spice production.

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Tue May 29, 2018 5:39 pm

I will add I don't normally go to a movie on its opening weekend so the theater isn't quite so crowded but because of Memorial Day was able to go before noon which mean $5 for the ticket, which because of the production issues and such had originally felt it was worth a $5 viewing and the movie very much exceeded those expectations. The down side meant since the movie felt to be getting mixed reviews had hoped that meant the theater wouldn't be as packed which turned out not to be the case.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu May 31, 2018 4:35 am

I liked it as a fun space adventure. I can see where people would have issues with it if you take it as a cannonical entry into the Star Wars universe.
Spoiler:
I didn't like how they basically have started making the universe revolve around fuel for both this movie and episode 8. I was very much left wanting for Han at the imperial academy as well. I really wanted to see the why and how of him getting kicked out of the academy and I feel like that was a HUGE miss in the story that is was just like yeah, I got kicked out because I have an authority issue and we moved on. They also didn't really talk about the wookie life debt at all and made Han and Chewie more into a basic buddy story, which does a disservice to the lore of the Wookies to me.
I did like the treatment of Lando and them being true to him winning the Falcon from Lando playing saabac. I also liked Qi'ra as a character and how that whole relationship ended up playing out.
It will be interesting to see if they give the Boba Fett movie a similar treatment. I feel like that one should be much darker, but we'll see.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu May 31, 2018 2:29 pm

Furiel wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:35 am
I liked it as a fun space adventure. I can see where people would have issues with it if you take it as a cannonical entry into the Star Wars universe.
Spoiler:
I didn't like how they basically have started making the universe revolve around fuel for both this movie and episode 8. I was very much left wanting for Han at the imperial academy as well. I really wanted to see the why and how of him getting kicked out of the academy and I feel like that was a HUGE miss in the story that is was just like yeah, I got kicked out because I have an authority issue and we moved on. They also didn't really talk about the wookie life debt at all and made Han and Chewie more into a basic buddy story, which does a disservice to the lore of the Wookies to me.
I did like the treatment of Lando and them being true to him winning the Falcon from Lando playing saabac. I also liked Qi'ra as a character and how that whole relationship ended up playing out.
It will be interesting to see if they give the Boba Fett movie a similar treatment. I feel like that one should be much darker, but we'll see.
I will admit hope for the Boba Fee movie but if I'm remembering right Fett has been worked on and off again since around the time Disney mentioned the plan for singleton movies, hopefully that means they are waiting till they have a script worth producing but has me worried it might never make it to production.
Spoiler:
I wasn't happy with the time skip but I'm guessing that will be covered with a book release on Han's academy training.

Tough it doesn't out right say Chewie has a life debt to Han, he did save Chewie's life by getting him off that planet so even if Han didn't mention it there is nothing that says Chewie didn't say it in the movie. I inferred that is the explanation Chewie gives to the other Wookies on Kessel as they seemed to be the Tribe/Family Chewie was looking for.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu May 31, 2018 8:29 pm

I hope they do another Han movie called Jabba Jobs.
Jounville Blackferne

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:37 pm

I know I would enjoy seeing that with or without continued interactions with Kira and all that intels would still be worth seeing. I can't help feeling they will settle on a book instead, even if this movie was more financially successful, as the time scales might require more time than a movie could cover along with we know that it has to result in Han getting pretty heavily into debt with Jabba. So won't have the feel good ending without it feeling like Han is getting taken advantage of by every downtrodden group he comes across.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Well if they approached me to write jabba jobs I would make it a three act story.

Act 1: get in with Jabba (basic premise is Han and Chewy trying to enter Jabba's circle by being clever or whatever)
Act 2: Become Jabba's favorite smuggler. (Maybe a time jump of a few months or a year, Han is vying with another smuggler for top dog in the stable of smugglers)
Act 3: The shipment that goes south. High stakes spice shipment where Han is forced to dump the cargo thus getting in debt.
Jounville Blackferne

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Which that makes sense if it was done that way, just see them more likely to do it as trilogy of books so each act is its own book.