Wha-Whaaat? (For the Anime fans!)

Shows, Films, and Books. Want to rant or rave about one, here is the place,
Marrkin
Bishop
Wha-Whaaat? (For the Anime fans!)

Post by Marrkin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:55 pm

So, it appears ScarJo is going to get the role of the "Major" in a live-action Ghost in the Shell adaptation.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/new-action ... 46142.html

Hopefully the full-nudie free-fall assassination scene is retained?? :rave:

Also, hopefully they do this right, 'cuz there is such a LARGE margin for effing this movie up...

Staris
Priest

Re: Wha-Whaaat? (For the Anime fans!)

Post by Staris » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Very cool, interested in seeing what that means and I don't just mean the Major's free-fall going to invisible, I'm personalty betting that gets 'fixed' with new cameo gear that doesn't require going in the buff.

I'll reserve some judgment until they release who Batou and Togusa are being played, as they are just as important in my opinion. Though to that I'm not sure who I would like playing those two, might be a good thing though have concerns that the executives might not either.

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:09 pm

Agreed,

Kinda in the dark about who they could get to play Batou, since he is the "father" of the group and needs a wise-ish touch. Also he is really the focal point of the story, as it seems to be told more from his point of view. Would have to be A-list to balance ScarJo's casting though... That also means they'd need funding.

Togusa they can probably fill in with a number of folks, being the rookie and all. If they plan on "whiting-out" the cast, then you know they are going to change the location of the story from Tokyo to someplace like New York.

The fact that Avi Arad is involved in production could help pull all this together. Though he does have his flops too (cough*Ghost Rider*cough*)

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:50 am

After talking with a co-worker before heading home, he made the suggestion of Vin Deasel. Though at first I was a little hesitant the more I thought about it the more it made a lot of sense. He's definitely got the brawns and even brains for Batuo and though I think the relationship between Batuo and the Major might be iffy or unbelievable I've been pleasantly surprised with other matchings before or wouldn't surprise me if that was downplayed.

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:01 am

Because he Is the new guy, Togusa's role is key; as most of the concepts and roles of section 9 will be told (indirectly to the audience) through his eyes. Making hi believable is important to the success of the movie for those not familiar with the anime.
He is the regular joe. The family guy, with few cybernetics. He is the one we can all relate to.
Because of this, I think the role should be played by Homer Simpson.

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:19 am

Nice! Though I haven't watched GitS in almost a decade.
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Yeah, haven't watched this in probably at least 4 years. Suppose I should dig out the ol' DVD this week and give it a go.

Might lead me to a better idea of favorable peeps to cast.

Also, when are they gonna make an Akira live-action movie??? :shifty:

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Alright... started my re-visit last night (fell asleep about 1/3 of the way through...)

Batou = Stephen Lang (a.k.a. General Quaritch from Avatar) despite his RL age...

Togusa = ?? (this is a tough one!) - After much consideration, I am starting to think maybe Emile Hirsch... He can be funny, serious, hes not a kid, but not old either.