Gotham

Shows, Films, and Books. Want to rant or rave about one, here is the place,
Staris
Priest
Gotham

Post by Staris » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 pm

So I almost missed getting the series setup to be recorded in time for the first episode but got my ps4 setup to display on my other computer monitor so I'll be able to watch tv while playing at this point.

Thought the first episode was pretty good for a beginning setup and the premise is looking good so far.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Re: Gotham

Post by Blackferne » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Just to be safe
Spoiler:
I liked it and think it has potential. Fish Mooney is a nice addition to the Gotham mythology. Young Penguin I think will be a breakout star. He was amazing. I think they did a good job establishing that this is about Gordon more than Bruce. I also loved the Falcone portrayal. Perfect actor for it too. Bullock is great and I have high hopes for Montoya.

A few nitpicks though, I did not care for the harness cam when Gordon was chasing Mario Pepper. It seemed to break with the cinematic feel of the show. The Riddler felt a little forced. Not sure what to make of Ivy and Selina, but I'm sure we'll see more of them going forward.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:56 pm

I liked it, but thought they tried to do too much in one episode. Based on the amount of texts and their content from Cuspar last night, he is full of hate for the show.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Well pilots aren't the best way to judge a show. I plan on watching long enough to get a feel and let them settle down. Examples: Farscape takes about 6 episodes to get in their groove. AoS needed most of the first season. Even Arrow's first half season was inferior to almost anything they've done since. The best elements from this have the potential to be great.
Jounville Blackferne

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Spoiler:
Too much crammed together.

I can't allow the conceit that everyone in the Batman universe has one degree of separation from each other. So with that said, my beefs:

- Selina seeing the Wayne murder??? PFFFFT. LAME.
- Edward Nygma is a police forensics guy??? BOOOOO.
- Jim Gordon's love interest is named Barbara. Sooooo... Is Barbara Gordon (aka Batgirl) going to be way too old for continuity's sake? Or is Barbara Gordon going to be Jim's natural daughter via her possible mom Barbara Cain?? (Found out today that classic Barbara Gordon was adopted.)
- Barbara Cain seems to have a bisexual history with Renee Montoya (aka The Question). BRUTAL anachronism aside, is this a nod to Cassandra Cain?? (aka BatWOMAN - who IS a lesbian in current continuity, and IIRC, had a relationship with Montoya).
- Don't tell me for one second that the stand up comedian who watched Mooney beat up Cobblepot wasn't an attempt to seed the Joker mythology. I'm almost certain that the joke he told is a classic Joker bit. whatever the producers might be saying is at worst a lie and at best, a retcon. They're gonna fuck the Joker up. I guarantee it.
- Oh sure. Poison Ivy's dad is the guy who was framed for the Wayne murder. Why not?
Non-spoiler. Fuck this show and it's concept of making every single character in the Batman mythology be tied so tightly together. I loved the cinematography (GoPro harness cam excluded), but think that this is the most egregious shitting on of the Batman legacy ever. INCLUDING the Schwarzenegger movie. Such mad. Much rage.
Cuspar

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Spoiler:
In the Frank Miller comic year one, Jim's wife was named Barbara. When asked about Batgirl, he said he forgot about her. In the follow ups dark victory and long Halloween, she left him and he married captain Essen, and they had a daughter named Barbara. I think they tried to fix what frank did, but it seems weird to name your child after your ex. Unless they set up that she dies, then he married and names his daughter after his dead ex, then you have people going crazy because this Captain Essen is black.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:28 pm

In response to Cuspar:
Spoiler:
It is Barabra Kean per IMDB and that is Gordon's exwife at some point in the comics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gord ... een-Gordon

The one degree thing bugs me a little. But I'm gonna allow it just to try and give them room to run. Honestly if you don't come from that, seeing penguin hobbling because of Mooney, and want to see his rise, I can't help you.
Jounville Blackferne

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:31 am

I'm going to give it a few more episodes before I pass judgement, but I think the episode would have been perfectly fine if they had left out the riddler and catwomangirl. Even if they introduced them next episode, it would have been better.