Game: An Unpaid Debt

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Re: Game: An Unpaid Debt

Post by Blackferne » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:43 pm

@ Bulwark as he walks out "Bank Rossi is known throughout the galaxy as a fair arbitrator of contracts. They have many times the reserves of the probable price fetched for this. They have more to lose by fraud than I do so that is why I contracted them for the job. Like I said you are free to bring a droid with a program to run the tests you want. Verifying the unit isn't terribly difficult. Feel free to withdraw if you like, but you do so at your own factions peril."

[ooc: Bank Rossi is considered one of the most reputable and impartial banks in the galaxy they didn't join the banking clan, and enjoy a privileged status among banks for a sterling reputation]
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:46 pm

As they walk out through the door, Dood says over his shoulder, "We'll let you know what our superiors say."
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Bulwark stops for a moment. "Why is it that the two wealthiest entities in the known universe need to put forth an escrow? Is it because you don't think they actually have the credits or is it because you have an arrangement with a funds manager at Rossi? Surely you can trust the Republic to transfer the funds after a successful bid. And if not, you could easily fall back to the second highest bidder.
As for my 'Faction's Peril', why would you let 2 billion credits walk out the door if everything you were presenting was as valid as you make it appear? Your arbitrary restrictions and illogical behavior do not inspire confidence. I have seen enough cons to not let the glitter of the prize distract from common sense."

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Dood tugs on Bulwark's sleeve.

"C'mon. We'll deliver our report and let the higher-ups make their own call."

To Jokull:

"We'll be in touch."

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:00 pm

If Bulwark remains to keep talking, Dood wanders off toward the spacedocks and the Jive Turkey.

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Bulwark agrees and heads to the Turkey.

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:20 pm

Jokull follows the Republic delegates out.

"If you would like to talk, I will be at the cantina I bumped into you at in about an hour"

Jokull heads back to his suite to make a call to Dal Pehri and inform him of what has transpired.
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Once the door closes behind Jokull, or he and the Republic delegation are out of earshot Tony will stand and address Joonhali

"Mr. Joonhali, we thank you for your hospitality thus far and for the continuing hospitality that you are sure to show myself and my compatriot. We too shall be consulting with our superiors, however I can assure you now that I will be here tomorrow to perform an inspection of the device.

On thing does concern me though, concerning the auction and it's integrity. Now myself and my comrade here are both military men. We are highly trained and experienced soldiers, but soldiers none the less. Our competition is not. I believe that the Republic delegation is made up of a pair of intelligence operatives and well, and Mouthy is obviously a smuggler or some other criminal. And as such they are all the types of people who are used to getting what they want more through guile than by honest and open negotiation. My point to these observations is that earlier in the meeting you mentioned that you were traveling on your personal yacht when you had hyperdrive issues forcing you to stop and you stumbled upon the fleet. A lucky conincidence for you, but perhaps more importantly this also means that there is a second location where the coordinates of the Katana Fleet resides. And that location is within the nav computer of your vessel. You are a smart man and I'm sure you are aware of this, however I just want to make sure that you have adequately secured your personal vessel because I suspect that my competition is likely to attempt to access your ship and it's nav computer with the intent of stealing the nav data. Thereby allowing them to obtain the Katana Fleet without paying you a dime.

As I said, you are a smart man and I am sure all of that already occured to you, I just wanted to voice to you a final concern I had with the integrity of this auction. Now if you'll excuse us I believe we have a call to make."

Tony will give Joonhali a slight bow and head for the door
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:42 pm

"Mr. Plush I not only had the memories wiped of all the droids with me, but I had the nav computer removed, erased, and thrown into the nearby star without explanation to my staff. The location of the fleet soley rests in the nav unit in the vault. But I appreciate your concerns." Joonhali lifts his glass in a salute "To good health" And he downs the rest of the drink.
Jounville Blackferne

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Klak stands and begins to follow Tony Plush.

"Mr. Joonhali, it has been a pleasure."

Once outside Klak turns to Tony

"There is something not right about our competition. Mentally and strategically." with a snicker. "As I see it we have two courses of action. Participate in the auction fairly, knowing that any traps or misguided attempts by the competition will not likley get past us, or find an angle to get the device before they do, likely killing everyone along the way."

Klak looks to ponder the situation a bit more.

"For now, I say we play it straight. Bran the bartender said that Joonhali is just an eccentric treasure hunter of sorts. I bet he loves watching us all banter and battle, in fact, I think that is why he is running this auction with the folks in the room that he has invited. If there is any plotting going on, it is likely our competition or that gorram mouthy one."
This... I Command!

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Reese wrote:Klak stands and begins to follow Tony Plush.

"Mr. Joonhali, it has been a pleasure."

Once outside Klak turns to Tony

"There is something not right about our competition. Mentally and strategically." with a snicker. "As I see it we have two courses of action. Participate in the auction fairly, knowing that any traps or misguided attempts by the competition will not likley get past us, or find an angle to get the device before they do, likely killing everyone along the way."

Klak looks to ponder the situation a bit more.

"For now, I say we play it straight. Bran the bartender said that Joonhali is just an eccentric treasure hunter of sorts. I bet he loves watching us all banter and battle, in fact, I think that is why he is running this auction with the folks in the room that he has invited. If there is any plotting going on, it is likely our competition or that gorram mouthy one."
"I agree with playing it straight. That's part of the reason I gave Joonhali that warning. I considered trying to break into his yacht ourselves to snatch his nav comp, but I figured we might get caught and that would disgrace us, so instead I put out a warning to him instead. I ran the info I got on the Republic's envoy's ship and it's a fracking classic Republic Intel cover bio. Like almost word for word from their manuals. So I do believe that they are both intelligence officers. And I found it highly cooincidental that they decided to leave as soon as they heard Joonhali had been there on his yacht. I expect them to take a stab at his nav comp not knowing what we know about it, and with my warning they are much more likley to get caught and possibly removed from the auction.

Also because the Republic delegates are intelligence that means they won't be as good as us in a straight fight, then again few are. But we have to be sure to watch our backs, be dilligent in looking for bugs and such and most importantly to not underestimate them. Those bastards survive on guile and we don't need to get tricked into something stupid by them. I'm not going to completely discount Mouthy yet, but his mouth combined with the limited resources he has backing him are likely to make him a minor player.

Right now I think we need to report in, and also we need to start coming up with a couple action plans. One for what to do if we win, and another if we lose."
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Furiel wrote: "I agree with playing it straight. That's part of the reason I gave Joonhali that warning. I considered trying to break into his yacht ourselves to snatch his nav comp, but I figured we might get caught and that would disgrace us, so instead I put out a warning to him instead. I ran the info I got on the Republic's envoy's ship and it's a fracking classic Republic Intel cover bio. Like almost word for word from their manuals. So I do believe that they are both intelligence officers. And I found it highly cooincidental that they decided to leave as soon as they heard Joonhali had been there on his yacht. I expect them to take a stab at his nav comp not knowing what we know about it, and with my warning they are much more likley to get caught and possibly removed from the auction.

Also because the Republic delegates are intelligence that means they won't be as good as us in a straight fight, then again few are. But we have to be sure to watch our backs, be dilligent in looking for bugs and such and most importantly to not underestimate them. Those bastards survive on guile and we don't need to get tricked into something stupid by them. I'm not going to completely discount Mouthy yet, but his mouth combined with the limited resources he has backing him are likely to make him a minor player.

Right now I think we need to report in, and also we need to start coming up with a couple action plans. One for what to do if we win, and another if we lose."
"Lets get somewhere quiet that we can talk. I prefer a cantina where we can drink and talk, but for now lets head to our rooms since those are bug free. I have another idea that may help us have a leg up while remaining as legitimate bidders as possible."

Klak heads for their adjoining room. Once there he is ready to lay out an idea for Tony.
This... I Command!

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Reese wrote:Klak heads for their adjoining room. Once there he is ready to lay out for Tony.
Fixed. (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Dood wrote:
Reese wrote:Klak heads for their adjoining room. Once there he is ready to lay out for Tony.
Fixed. (Sorry, I couldn't resist)
"Draw me like one of your Rodian girls Tony."
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:33 pm

Back at the Jive Turkey, Dood seals the door once he and Bulwark are onboard and asks GYL and the R2 droid to ensure that the ship is secure.

"Well, Bully?"

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:03 pm

"Ok, here is my analysis. Joonhali is doing this for one thing, and that's the money. He has no alliances to either side. And, as such, he will want to get as much out of this as he can. He will not go through with his bluff to only sell to the Separatists; that would end the bidding at 700 million, rather than the 2.5 to 3 billion it should go for. He may have a lot of pride, but not enough to watch 2 billion credits walk out the door.
The mystery 3rd party bidder is not much of consequence. If he really is some random 3rd party, (banking clan, one of the industrial corps, criminal syndicate, etc) then they will not have the credits to make a meaningful contribution. More than likely, he's a spoiler. Whether he's working for Joonhali or the Separatists is not clear. Either way, we should keep our distance from him and not let his actions affect our position.
The Separatists appear to be of average stock; overconfident, scheming and generally predictable. My guess is they will try to work a side deal or engage on an elementary deception or intelligence move they saw in a holovid. A little bit of caution and healthy paranoia will sideline their plans. If we do go through with the auction, we should be prepared for an ambush after they lose. Fortunately, Joonhali has limited blaster weapons, but not melee, so I'm fairly certain we can quickly eliminate them when the time arises.
As for the deal itself, we have to remember than Joonhali is in over his head. He will try and work this as a professional, but, in the end, he is new at negotiating at this level. We can steer him where we want him to go, but we will have to make him believe it was his idea. Right now, he is frustrated at our paranoia and unwillingness to play ball. That has him on the defensive. We can now wait for his next move. Ideally, it will be something to appease us to get us back in the bidding. At the very worst, it puts us in a stronger position because he knows our money, and the entire auction, could walk out the door at the slightest hint of offense.
Let's send a coded message back to the Senate and let them know the situation. Have them prepare the money, but not transfer it to the escrow. I still don't trust him and that move is very suspicious. Also, we should have the Senate send an expert to analyze the device. I don't mind waiting a week for him to get here. If Joonhali says we can't wait, then it is obviously a scam and we can walk away knowing that the Separatists will spend 700 million credits on a con man rather than on weapons for the war effort."

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Reese wrote:
Furiel wrote: "I agree with playing it straight. That's part of the reason I gave Joonhali that warning. I considered trying to break into his yacht ourselves to snatch his nav comp, but I figured we might get caught and that would disgrace us, so instead I put out a warning to him instead. I ran the info I got on the Republic's envoy's ship and it's a fracking classic Republic Intel cover bio. Like almost word for word from their manuals. So I do believe that they are both intelligence officers. And I found it highly cooincidental that they decided to leave as soon as they heard Joonhali had been there on his yacht. I expect them to take a stab at his nav comp not knowing what we know about it, and with my warning they are much more likley to get caught and possibly removed from the auction.

"Lets get somewhere quiet that we can talk. I prefer a cantina where we can drink and talk, but for now lets head to our rooms since those are bug free. I have another idea that may help us have a leg up while remaining as legitimate bidders as possible."

Klak heads for their adjoining room. Once there he is ready to lay out an idea for Tony.
Once we get to the room I'll start preparing my report for Count Dooku...

"Ok Horny, you said you have a plan, lets hear it."

The Plush Family:

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Dood nods.

"Sounds like a plan. What about this woman that everyone seems so scared of? You think there might be anything we can do with her? It seems to me that she showed up about the same time that Joonhali got back with his mysterious cargo and she's fit to be tied about something. There has to be something there, even if Gyl couldn't find it. Maybe she can help us by giving us info on what he found or maybe even where he found it.

Considering the fact that he came back with SOMETHING, it might be worth it to try and figure out where that something was found."

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Jokull wishes he had someone smarter than Egdir to discuss plans with.

Sometimes I miss that damn mon cal Cuspar, even if the smell is hard to get used to
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Dood wrote:Dood nods.

"Sounds like a plan. What about this woman that everyone seems so scared of? You think there might be anything we can do with her? It seems to me that she showed up about the same time that Joonhali got back with his mysterious cargo and she's fit to be tied about something. There has to be something there, even if Gyl couldn't find it. Maybe she can help us by giving us info on what he found or maybe even where he found it.

Considering the fact that he came back with SOMETHING, it might be worth it to try and figure out where that something was found."
"She is too much of a coincidence to be ignored. She definitely has everyone on the station freaked out. I wouldn't be surprised if she intimidated port security into letting her bring a few heavy weapons onto the station. Unlike our Separatists friends, I don't think my vibroblade skill will be able to take out a bunch of assault weapons." Bulwark pauses for a moment in thought.
"Do you think she would try and steal the data from us after we win? It may not be a bad idea to put the Jive Turkey in orbit around the station and beam the data directly to Gyl onboard. If something happens to us on the way off the station, he can hyper back and get the data to Republic hands."
"If you can get any info out of her, that would be great, but she seems pretty cold. I doubt she would give anyone the time of day. But it's worth a try. The other option is to try and use her as a spoiler. Maybe play the 3rd party pawn off of her and see what shakes out."

"As a side note, I'd recommend spending the night on the Turkey. I'm not convinced the station is the safest place for us right now."

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:27 pm

If Dal Pehri has nothing relevent to say in regards to the line of credit needed, the revelation of what the item to be auctioned is, or Jokull's report on the very tight security Joonhali has in place, he will head to the cantina after about 45 minutes.

He will look for any of the delegates, and if he does not see them he will go to the bartender asking if Avonna had been around.
Spoiler:

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Dood nods again.

"Of course, there is another option. The Republic could always just come and get Joonhali. Send in a cruiser or two, seize the station and the coordinates."

Dood smiles.

"But where would the fun be in that?"

Dood stretches and scratches his head. He then wanders over to the communications console and prepares his report on the auction, along with details about the woman from Dathomir, the Jokull joker, and recommendations from Bulwark as well as a question about potential backup being sent if needed. Once done, he instructs Gyl to make sure it is sent as securely as possible.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:12 pm

@Jokull Dal Pehri says he is opening a credit line and to play cool for a bit. Also remember the word "wengo".
Jounville Blackferne

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Klak and Tony finish their conversation.

"Tony, lets talk to Count Dooku. I also want to express to him my interest in using a Banking Clan bank rather than who Mr. Joonhali wants. I just trust the banking clans more with out credits. Once we are done, I will head to ask Bran about Avonna."
This... I Command!

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Whiteness wrote:Jokull will head to the cantina after about 45 minutes.

He will look for any of the delegates, and if he does not see them he will go to the bartender asking if Avonna had been around.
In addition he keeps his ears open for any mention of 'wengo'

Perception: Roll(1d20)+12: 13,+12 Total:25
Gather Information: Roll(1d20)+11:17,+11 Total:28
Spoiler: