Campaign background

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Furiel
Cardinal
Campaign background

Post by Furiel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:26 pm

I already shared alot of this with Joun so I figured I should let everyone else in on my campaign concept as well. The funny and ironic part being that Pat made his character without knowing anything about what I wanted to do, but his character is practically tailor made for this campaign. So without further adieu...

Welcome to the Rebel Alliance! As recent recruits you have all been assigned to one of the most critical, but unheralded branches of our paramilitary organization, Logistics and Supply. Specifically you are going to be part of the Procurement division. What does that mean? Exactly what it sounds like. When the Rebel Alliance needs something, it's your job to get it. And they don't care how. Beg, borrow, bribe, steal, kill? Ok, as long as you aren't doing it to other Rebels it's all good. Hell, you can even legitimately buy the items for all they care, just don't expect to be able to submit a receipt and get reimbursed. :wink:

Because of campaign design that is why I say it will be episodic, and it will also allow for characters to move in and out as necessary because each mission will be it's own episode. There will also be some hidden, bonus content that you can unlock if you pick up on the clues that I plan to thread through some of the missions. I'm not currently intending to do alot of leading in this campaign either, I plan to give you your missions and leave you to your own devices to try to figure out how you are going to accomplish it from there. This is also one of the main reasons that we are playing in the rebellion era, as I am so familiar with that era from running all my other games in that era it's just easier for me to keep a smooth and interesting game going then.

Even though it is episodic also realize I will be keeping track of your actions and they can and will have consequences. Don't believe me, I have former players who would rather take on an entire Imperial garrison than be sent on vacation, because that's when all theconsequences for their previous misdeeds would come home to roost. :twisted: Fortunately for me I've learned some much better devices to use since then, so if you live long enough to be offered a vacation, you might just actually get it. :shifty:
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Cuspar
Cardinal

Re: Campaign background

Post by Cuspar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:34 pm

In this context, can you elaborate on weapons we can start with?

Can I have "killed a stormtrooper" and taken his heavy blaster rifle? I'll write a story to explain it. I plan on writing a Bronto backstory this week anyway... What sort of consequences do I look at for having it?

My dilemma is that I'm a tank - but I'm a poor, stupid assface - so I'm not real sure how to equip him...
Cuspar

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Cuspar wrote:In this context, can you elaborate on weapons we can start with?

Can I have "killed a stormtrooper" and taken his heavy blaster rifle? I'll write a story to explain it. I plan on writing a Bronto backstory this week anyway... What sort of consequences do I look at for having it?

My dilemma is that I'm a tank - but I'm a poor, stupid assface - so I'm not real sure how to equip him...
You can start with any gear you can afford using the rules I stated before. If you want anything that is military or illegal, etc then if you give me a good enough story reason for it then you can have it.

As for consequences, those are for me to know you you to find out in new, interesting and often painful ways. :twisted:

As a stupid assfaced tank you'd probably try to scrape together what armor you could along with a regular rifle or carbine would be my expectation for a level 1 soldier.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Just a quick note. I have not purchased a weapon as my programming is pretty restrictive on attacking organics I just didn't see the point.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Would it be correct for us to have ranks and a commanding officer? Rek would probably be low man on the totem pole, since he is young and only recently joined. This would probably be his first task as an official member of the alliance as he was previously an independant who did some scouting work for a rebel cell before joining up.
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Whiteness wrote:Would it be correct for us to have ranks and a commanding officer? Rek would probably be low man on the totem pole, since he is young and only recently joined. This would probably be his first task as an official member of the alliance as he was previously an independant who did some scouting work for a rebel cell before joining up.
And as low as you are, I'm lower.

Fight For Universal Droid Rights!!!!!
Jounville Blackferne

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Blackferne wrote:And as low as you are, I'm lower.

Fight For Universal Droid Rights!!!!!
I'm no leader.
Cuspar

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Hey Emthree, my boots are dirty come shine them! :twisted:
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Also, if I "have" a blaster carbine for instance, I assume that means I "bought" it? Or can I have "acquired it" at no cost to me? I only ask because it will be a small back story point...
Cuspar

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Whiteness wrote:Hey Emthree, my boots are dirty come shine them! :twisted:
Were those boots provided by the Rebellion? If so I would happily shine them, however if those are your personal footwear them I am afraid my time is better spent on the care and maintenance of proper Rebellion equipment.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Cuspar wrote:Also, if I "have" a blaster carbine for instance, I assume that means I "bought" it? Or can I have "acquired it" at no cost to me? I only ask because it will be a small back story point...
You all have 2 ways to acquire gear to start with - "buy" it using the rules I outlined earlier, or acquire it for free with a good story reason and realize it comes with "strings".

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Furiel wrote:
Cuspar wrote:Also, if I "have" a blaster carbine for instance, I assume that means I "bought" it? Or can I have "acquired it" at no cost to me? I only ask because it will be a small back story point...
You all have 2 ways to acquire gear to start with - "buy" it using the rules I outlined earlier, or acquire it for free with a good story reason and realize it comes with "strings".
What is the policy on droids owning droids?

Specifically if I wanted an ASP Series Labor Droid listed on page 203 of the core rule book (Cost 1k which I have) would I be permitted to have on?
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Furiel wrote:
What is the policy on droids owning droids?

Specifically if I wanted an ASP Series Labor Droid listed on page 203 of the core rule book (Cost 1k which I have) would I be permitted to have on?
Yes. Considering one of C-3PO's first job was programming binary load lifters I believe I have sufficient lore justification for one droid to be ordering around another.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Good to know.

Note to self next talent take wealth and begin my droid posse.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Blackferne wrote:Good to know.

You'll have to explain this to me because I'm struggling with how exactly a droid would suddenly come into a bunch of money...

Think of me kinda like the Bioware of GM's. Everything you do needs to be justified by story or I won't let you do it...

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Furiel wrote:
Blackferne wrote:Good to know.

You'll have to explain this to me because I'm struggling with how exactly a droid would suddenly come into a bunch of money...

Think of me kinda like the Bioware of GM's. Everything you do needs to be justified by story or I won't let you do it...
It is my hope that we might be able to turn our logistics and procurement assignments into a fledgling side business with the explicit purpose of funding our activities. So this wealth might be the result of a donor feeling like we have done them a favor and they wish to repay it. Or maybe they are paying me to prevent Bronto Gaga from expressing his anger and frustration with their behavior.
Jounville Blackferne

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:42 pm

I am going with a smuggler turned Rebel smuggler. Can this be enough to justify that I have in my travels come across a Heavy Blaster Pistol?
This... I Command!

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:26 pm

No.

However, this offer is open to everyone, I will allow you 1 item within reason you couldn't normally get without a good story justification on your own. However if you take my offer I will come up with a story justification, and hence all the repercussions that come with it as well. And those repercussions will be more severe than if you do the work yourself.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:12 pm

I fear what Furiel would make up so I'm keeping my toon pretty much as is at this point. Straight Core Rulebook.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Blackferne wrote:I fear what Furiel would make up so I'm keeping my toon pretty much as is at this point. Straight Core Rulebook.
Pat just IMed me that he really wants to see what Furiel would do to him for having an Imperial Probe Droid lover.
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Dood wrote:
Blackferne wrote:I fear what Furiel would make up so I'm keeping my toon pretty much as is at this point. Straight Core Rulebook.
Pat just IMed me that he really wants to see what Furiel would do to him for having an Imperial Probe Droid lover.
For starters...as it is a probe droid...it would only like anal.

Then I would get mean. :twisted:

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Dood wrote:
It'll never work out. I'm metric and she says she can't convert from Imperial measurements.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:45 pm

I just want to expand on something that I think people might be having a misunderstanding of. My vision of the Rebel Alliance and how it operates is very much different from what you saw in the movies. I'm sure you have all figured that out by now, but I thought I should expand on it a bit more to let you know better what to expect and how things will work.

First and most importantly, you are part of a para-military organization that is fighting a guerrilla war against a much larger, much better equiped and funded military and government. This isn't Britain vs. Germany in WW2, it's much more like Russia v Afghanistan in the 80s and 90s, and guess which side you are...

So, how this ends up playing out is that the Rebellion is largely a secretive organization which operates mostly on a cell basis. The cells are obviously not stationary, as your group would be considered one cell. As with most traditional cellular organizations like this that means that everyone in the cell knows each other, and they all know their handler, but that's it. This organization protects the whole because of course if someone gets captured they can only implicate a small number of people. There are other arms of the Rebellion that function along a more traditional military model, however at this point you are not a part of that arm.

Also, due to the secrecy and protection of assignments, etc it is going to be commonplace for you to be getting your assignments via encrypted messages and a dead drop. So you'll be told to go to X and get Y, where Y will be a datacard or something similar that will have your full mission briefing on it. Yes, this is very cloak-and-dagger, but back in the late 80s/early 90s when I first go into the Star Wars RPG it was being produced by a company called West End Games. And they put out a Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, and in that sourcebook it had a huge chapter talking about command and organizational structure of the alliance and how large portions of it had this cellular structure. And I took that to heart and have always run all my games since that time using those principles, because they just make sense to me.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:49 pm

So we can stick to the WW2 model, but we are the french resistance.

Also I would suggest people think to their favorite moments of the Bourne movies, Mission Impossible, Alias, or Burn Notice because those "tactics" might come in handy.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Sweet, so this gets us back to Dood's plan of saying fuck this mission.
fFormerly fknown as fDood.