The Taris Event Chapter 3:Dood and Klak attend Funeral subpl

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:32 pm

You two are in the concourse being greeted by Borssk.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Whiteness
Priest

Re: The Taris Event Chapter 3:Dood and Klak attend Funeral s

Post by Whiteness » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:50 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Anything odd about Borssk or his bodyguards?

Perception: Roll(1d20)+9: 20,+9 Total:29

CRITICAL PERCEPTION!
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Dood wrote:Anything odd about Borssk or his bodyguards?

Perception: Roll(1d20)+9: 20,+9 Total:29

CRITICAL PERCEPTION!
You see nothing that suggests that Borssk is anything other than a grieving son. His bodyguards seem apprehensive about Klak being there. But this is totally in line with the typical Bothan disdain for other species. In fact their level of apprehensiveness is a little low, you'd probably peg them as a liberal commie pinko bothan.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:22 pm

[ooc: Stop OOC spamming our story thread just because your story thread is more convoluted and more likely to lead to death than Arrican's colon]

I'd like to retcon some stuff in here since I wasn't quite expecting to be onplanet today: Prior to getting off of the shuttle I tell Klak:

"When we get there, keep yourself alert. If anyone presses you, you're here for my own security. Keep your guard up and remember that no one here is to be trusted. You're about to step into a world that values information and power more than anything else. The Way teaches Bothans to value themselves over all others, their families above all other families, their clans over all other clans, and the Bothan race above all other races. Never forget that every Bothan is always acting with their own interests at heart.

Let me do the early talking with Borssk. Keep alert."

Once Borrsk delivers his welcome:

Dood pauses for a moment as he looks over the entourage.

"Considering the circumstances, Borssk, it would seem foolhardy to travel alone. Klak, here, is former military and goes where I go for now."

Dood pulls his duster tighter to brace against the cold wind.

"Let's get out of this wind and we can talk."

Dood gets into the speeder with the others.

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Klak keeps quiet unless spoken too. He intends to look fierce in the face of the Bothans. He even plans to limit his prayers to Alvis until such time as Dood allows him to loosen up.

Unless otherwise stated Klak stays by Dood's side.
This... I Command!

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:36 pm

The speeder is a luxury model that should seat 8 or so, but has been converted to seat a few fewer in exchange for more amenities. After you all pile in the speeder zooms off to an estate outside of town.

"Tragic really. I'm still in shock about the turn of events. I guess you don't truly expect these kind of things. But enough morose chatter. Lighten my mood Dood. Tell me what you have been up to. Where have your foolhardy adventures taken you recently?"
Borssk asks giving a a judgmental glance at the stark disparity in your rustic clothing choices opposed to his more refined tailoring.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Blackferne wrote:The speeder is a luxury model that should seat 8 or so, but has been converted to seat a few fewer in exchange for more amenities. After you all pile in the speeder zooms off to an estate outside of town.

"Tragic really. I'm still in shock about the turn of events. I guess you don't truly expect these kind of things. But enough morose chatter. Lighten my mood Dood. Tell me what you have been up to. Where have your foolhardy adventures taken you recently?"
Borssk asks giving a a judgmental glance at the stark disparity in your rustic clothing choices opposed to his more refined tailoring.
Dood tilts his head to the side as he responds.

"Borssk, you know well that I've been working on the frontier for a number of years now." Dood looks down at his feet and then out of the window at the passing snowbanks, "It was Father's urging that sent me out there to do so."

Dood sighs and then reclines more deeply into his seat.

"I've recently fallen in with a group that has named me Chief Financial Officer. It's a smallish concern - only dealing in cargo so far."

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:12 pm

"Well I suppose we all must start somewhere." He says a bit unimpressed. "Are you happy?"
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Blackferne wrote:"Well I suppose we all must start somewhere." He says a bit unimpressed. "Are you happy?"
Dood turns to look at Borssk.

"Pray-tell, Borssk. What has mother had you up to?"

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:22 pm

"I don't know what you mean to imply by your tone" (he totally knows what you mean by your tone) "But my work for the foreign service as assistant to the ambassador on Naboo is quite important. He relies on my sage advice daily." The last word has a little extra punch to it's pronunciation. "He'll be sad to see me leave, I suppose, but a responsible heir will be needed to rally the clan. While I make no delusions I should be senator, it is my duty to protect our interests and good name."
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:16 pm

"Indeed, Borssk - I was unaware that in addition to passing me in status here on Bothawui that you had also surpassed me in years," Dood says as the fur at his forehead wrinkles.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:28 pm

Dood wrote:"Indeed, Borssk - I was unaware that in addition to passing me in status here on Bothawui that you had also surpassed me in years," Dood says as the fur at his forehead wrinkles.
"Oh don't act that way. I'm happy you decide to engage in your childlike pursuits. It is a passion you rarely see in Bothan society. We could all learn from your example. I just assumed given you appetite for wanderlust you had given up values most bothans begin pursuing straight out of school. In fact I was remarking to a colleague just the other day how great it was he could live outside of Bothan society and pursue his dreams. I mean you are like an artist."
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:37 pm

"It's true, I suppose. Leaving the womb does require a bit of artistry," Dood remarks with a grin as he turns his attention back to the window.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:50 am

Dood wrote:"It's true, I suppose. Leaving the womb does require a bit of artistry," Dood remarks with a grin as he turns his attention back to the window.

"Crass as always. No wonder father enjoyed your company."
Borssk says glaring at the window nursing his drink.

The speeder pulls up to a large old estate. The architecture would compare most closely to Palladian in earth terms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladian_architecture the large lawns and gardens on the approach to the main house are covered by a few inches of snow and the wind is blowing in from the north causing small snow drifts to ebb and flow across the field.

Borssk leads you two inside where Dood's mother greets you both. Well greets Dood anyway. "Ah Dood, it is good to see you again." He looks at Klak in a dismissive look expressing something along the sentiment of 'who let the riff raff in'. "I just wish it were under better circumstances. Are you eating well? You look thin. You are practically swimming in your" she gives you a once over "clothes."
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:24 am

[ooc What kind of vibe am I getting here? Ice cold? Luke warm? Honestly happy to see me?]

Perception: Roll(1d20)+9: 3,+9 Total:12

REROLL

Perception: Roll(1d20)+9: 8,+9 Total:17

Dood takes his mother's hands and nuzzles her cheeks in the typical Bothan manner of greeting.

"Mother, you look well. You will have to forgive my companion and me for our appearance. We've traveled from the Outer Rim to get here and I'm sure you can understand that finery is not quite practical out there - and under the current circumstances drawing attention might not be prudent."

Dood rubs his eyes and looks around the foyer where they are all standing. He hadn't passed through here in almost two years. Too long...and for what? he thought to himself.

"Mother, Borssk. Would it be possible for Klak and myself to freshen up a bit? I figure I'll take my usual room."

Dood looks around and spots Polo, his father's long-time-butler.

"Polo, if you wouldn't mind showing my friend, Klak, here to a room, I'd very much appreciate it."

Dood takes his mother's hands again before releasing them and setting off with his luggage to his room. Once there, Dood closes and locks the door and looks around for anything out of place (it has been two years afterall and interactions with his brother and mother make him nervous).

Perception: Roll(1d20)+9: 12,+9 Total:21

Once he is satisfied that he knows the lay of the land, Dood showers and changes into more appropriate attire.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:39 am

@ Dood
From your mother you get happy to see you, but general disappointment that only she can lay upon you. Clearly you should call her more often, and seriously would it hurt for you to find a real career instead of doing that find yourself crap your father planter in your head? Bothans should be in positions of power, not sullying their good names and fine upbringing in outer rim planets.

The room seems pretty much like you left it. Polo had left you a condolence note(on an encrypted datachip) on your bed that is very heartfelt in the sense of loss. He assures you that he has taken great care of the property while you and your father have both been off world. And he has the good liquor hiding in the normal hiding place that your brother doesn't know about and that he made sure to put out the 'company liquor' out in the house bar and was sure make it appear as though it was good stuff.

@ Klak
Polo takes you to a guest room on the western spoke of the house. It has all the comforts you might expect in a nice house. Polo shows you the shower, the 'fresher, and says some one size fits most nice robes are in the closet should you want to make yourself presentable to the clan leaders and guests as they visit later.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:36 am

After a short while a knock comes at Dood's door. It is your mother.

"Dood, I just wanted to go over the clan. Tonight there is a wake. Several clan heads are coming over to pay tribute. Tomorrow is the funeral where your father's remains will be buried on the family plot. And then the day after that we are to meet with your father's lawyers and bankers for estate probate."

She gets choked up a bit and starts crying.

"I know your father and I grew apart and were separated, but this house, and the thought of him being gone are making me remember so many great things about him." She starts sobbing.
Jounville Blackferne

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:56 am

Klak cleans up and puts on the dress robes. Not the best fit he's not sure who this one size is but it's certainly not a soldier. After some tucking and folding he had a nice look. He concealed his blaster carbine as best he could on his back under the robes to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Klak proceeds to Dood's room making sure not to make eye contact with anyone on the way. Klak thinks it's best to look subservient while on this planet.

Klak enters Dood's room expecting only his companion and accidentally interrupts Dood and his mother conversing.

Slightly bowing Klak says "My humblest apologies sir and madam, I meant no disrespect by my intrusion. It is my habit to be freely able to assist Sir Amm'nel and enter as needed. I do not mean to disturb your conversation Sir but it would be prudent for you to brief me on the appropriate times fir me to be in your presence or not during the ceremonies. As I am not familiar with the Bothan rituals I do not wish to be as inappropriate in public as I just was." Klak continued to be subservient in pose and speech. His soldier training testing his will to continue while his Alvians self wishing he was not sober during this performance.

"When you have a chance sir we must discuss security arrangements. Even here in your home you could face danger during the ceremonies. I imagine many outside your clan will be on or near the premises. Please allow me the time to plan with you as soon as possible."

Klak turns to Miss Amm'nel "Madam, I recognized many skilled gaurds on the premise and gladly extend my services to Sir Amm'nel to your entire clan. It would be an honor and privilege to serve your house while we are on Bothuwai."

Back to Dood, "Sir I shall wait for you outside your door. It may also be prudent to provide me any access to security monitoring that may assist your security arrangements."

Klak leaves the room and stands outside the door as straight as he can remember too. It's been a while since he needed to be proper. Wouldn't Jounville think this was damn funny. By Alvis, Dood better have a drink for him.
This... I Command!

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Dood is somewhat stunned by the back-to-back visitors. He stands silent for a moment as he watches Klak's egress.

"Um, I'm sorry, Mother. Klak is first and foremost a soldier and not always the picture of social grace." Dood puts his arm around his mother and leads her to a chair. "Come, sit."

Dood retrieves a handkerchief from a drawer and brings it to his mother and then draws the other chair up from the other side of his room to sit opposite her.

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 pm

After a moment of silence Dood asks, "When was the last time you and Father spoke?"

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Dood wrote:After a moment of silence Dood asks, "When was the last time you and Father spoke?"

"Maybe 6 months ago. It was total routine things about you boys."
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:41 pm

"Oh? I didn't know that the two of you spoke all that routinely."

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Dood wrote:"Oh? I didn't know that the two of you spoke all that routinely."
"Well we spoke maybe twice a year. Back in our youth we were in love, and that produced two beautiful boys. That is a bond that connects us, even as our paths differed. One day you'll find a nice bothan girl and start a family of your own. And then you'll understand that no matter how life's events affect you, you still have love in some form with those you create the closest bonds to." She looks out the window at the snow falling and the distant treetops dusted with white. "I would be lying if I said out chats were always pleasant. Sometimes he'd say something or I'd say something that provoked a horrible fight. For while I still loved him in some fashion, he did irk me at times."

She snapped herself back to the present. "Anyway, we may be without the head of the clan presently, but we still have duties to attend to. The clan leaders will be attending the wake tonight, it is imperative to show them that we are suffering a loss, but are far from lost. I know you and your father shared a special bond, one that Borssk never enjoyed, so this news probably is hitting you rather hard. But you must maintain face. The Amm'nel clan is one of power and dignity, not like those fools the Wisel'las. Those morons would be lost without their clan leader and don't think for a second they don't all wet themselves everytime he gets so much as a sniffle."
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Dood chuckles.

"The Wisel'las family has never been a strong one. I'll never understand how the Wisee family navigated their way to the top of the Aalas clan."

Dood touches his mother's shoulder.

"You need not worry about me, Mother. If the Aalas come looking for weakness, they'll find none here." Dood thinks for a second. "I do have my concerns, however, about Borssk. He's been noticeably distraught. He also made some odd comments on our way here - comments about taking the reins of the Inel."

Dood looks directly into his mother's eyes. He searches for any sign that something is amiss.

Perception: Roll(1d20)+9: 4,+9 Total:13 REROLL Roll(1d20)+9: 9,+9 Total:18