The Taris Event Chapter 3:Dood and Klak attend Funeral subpl

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Re: The Taris Event Chapter 3:Dood and Klak attend Funeral s

Post by Blackferne » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:43 pm

She looks at you perplexed. "Borssk said what? I don't understand did he think you wouldn't be interested or perhaps he just thinks you are unsuitable. I'm such a failure as a mother if I can't raise boys who can at least do what is best for their family and clan." She looks deflated.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Blackferne wrote:She looks at you perplexed. "Borssk said what? I don't understand did he think you wouldn't be interested or perhaps he just thinks you are unsuitable. I'm such a failure as a mother if I can't raise boys who can at least do what is best for their family and clan." She looks deflated.
Dood sighs. "I'm certain he means no harm, Mother. These things can be resolved later. For now we need to give the appearance of unity and strength. Let's go over what we need to do in the next day or so."
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:32 am

[bump]

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 pm

"Tonight is the wake. It is mostly social. It will be like when your grandfather died. All those people coming, offering condolences, and the like. Tomorrow is the proper funeral. It will be held in the afternoon up at the family gravesite. You will be expected to offer the eulogy. Then the day after we meet with your father's lawyers and bankers to begin estate settling. The following day we will meet with the clan leadership. Get yourself ready guests will be arriving within the hour." She says.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:04 pm

About an hour later the mourners begin assembling at the house in the reception areas. There is food and alcohol served. Polo brought in some additional serving staff to help run the event. There is a large portrait of your father on display with ornamental ribbons tied around it signifying the passing of a well respected and beloved Bothan. The event is rather boring an uninteresting by most standards. The grief expressed by all seems genuine and touching that so many people. Of course all of this is in the context of the reserved Bothan tradition. Stiff upper lip and all.

As the event drew to a close, many people expressed heartfelt sympathy towards Dood and his family. A line of guests leaving each took the time to shake your hand and express personal sympathy towards you.

@Klak during the entire night the booze was quite tasty, and under your soldier's eye you did not see anything that appeared suspicious or unseemly.
Jounville Blackferne

Gandolfini
Priest

Post by Gandolfini » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:26 pm

[OOC] I am picturing Dood in a fez and a smoking jacket. Very classy. [/OOC]
Spelt chick it fur putties!

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:11 pm

During the wake Dood tries to, as politely and discretely as possible, find out anything he can about the current political climate (was everyone truly sad to see Kroth go? Enemies? Things he should be looking out for in the next few days?)

Gather Info: Roll(1d20)+13: 17,+13 Total:30

Dood thanks everyone for coming. Is as warm as he can be to all comers, and keeps an eye on Borssk and with whom he speaks and how he conducts himself.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Kroth's political allies were sad to see him go as in him they feel they have lost a strong and powerful advocate for their shared interests. In his enemies, they acknowledge they will have an easier time without your father's influence in play, but they lost a well respected rival. Among Bothans the overwhelming impression is he usually did well. There are some votes on Coruscant in the past few years that seem unusual, but they are dismissed as the price of politics with those savages in the republic senate.

Borssk talks primarily to extended family. He doesn't talk to any Clan leaders or people of note in political circles save folks in the foreign service, which isn't unusual considering he works in that area.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 pm

The next day

Feb 6th

The funeral arrangements are made and there is a large turnout to the funeral. The news networks are carrying reporting on the news channels, but they are kept off the estate property. There are a multiptude of flags and speeches given honoring your father's hard work and devotion to Bothan society. He is called an inspiration and that his work will live on. Several senators have come from Coruscant to attend the funeral, and security is pretty tight.

At the appropriate time Dood is summoned to give the Eulogy for his father. Assembled before a few thousand mourners who make up the elite of Bothan society and the Galactic Republic. Dood walks up to the podium in a slight cold wind blowing from the north.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:18 am

[The crowd is waiting]
Jounville Blackferne

Gandolfini
Priest

Post by Gandolfini » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:57 am

[OOC]

[/OOC]
Spelt chick it fur putties!

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Blackferne wrote:[The crowd is waiting]
[ooc]I'm still writing the eulogy. I think I'm at about 2 pages and I really want to get to 10.[/ooc]

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Dood wrote:
Blackferne wrote:[The crowd is waiting]
[ooc]I'm still writing the eulogy. I think I'm at about 2 pages and I really want to get to 10.[/ooc]
Okay. Just wanted to make sure you weren't waiting on me unnecessarily.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Dood clears his throat as he looks out over the multitudes gathered today. He lets out a long breath and begins.

"Kroth, the first son of Sel of the Family Amm, clan Inel was always a leader.

It is difficult for us to review the past and contemplate the marvelous changes which have crowded the events of generations into a few passing years of a single Bothan's life without inquiring whether it has all been a dream.

It seems almost superfluous that I stand here and paint in speech the portrait of a distinguished Bothan, but I am unwilling that he shall pass into history in any shape which may repel the enthusiasm due by posterity."

Dood looks over the entirety of the crowd again as he pauses. He notices his mother and his brother seated in the rows nearest him.

"Kroth Amm'nel was born 57 years ago to Sel Amm'nel, then head of the Inel clan and Chief of Staff to the then Bothan representative to the Galactic Senate, the Honorable Hesh Se'laab."

At the mention of Hesh's name there are numerous heads nodding and a few murmured prayers and grumbles. Hesh was a rather controversial figure in the Galactic Senate, but was well-liked among the Bothan people.

Dood allows the muted excitement to pass before continuing.

"Kroth's education was meticulous and – as he would likely say – lasted for the duration of his time in the galaxy. From a very early age he was schooled in the teachings of Golm Fervse'dra. Beyond that he learned language, diplomacy, and how to harness the tremendous power of the will of the Bothan spirit toward the betterment of the Republic and – along with it – the Bothan race.

By the time he had reached his 21st year, Kroth had already acquired two degrees from the University of Drev'stam and Bothawui Academy and was working tirelessly for the Council of the Combined Clans.

When he was only 25, my father was elected as the Inel clan's representative to the Council and there he worked with visionaries such as Blek Deb'yi and Kapshen Moor'fey to craft the General Policy of Racial Cooperation that helped to unify the Bothan people and usher in an era of unprecendented cooperation between the clans of Bothauwi."

As Dood concludes his sentence, a roar of applause comes from the crowd. The Racial Cooperation policy was a major accomplishment in Bothan society, unifying clans in their approach to raising Bothans among the rest of the Galaxy. While there was still great clan rivalry, it was Kroth's work that lead to the idea that the clans, while still adhering to The Way and putting the clan ahead of Bothans in general, should always keep an eye toward the general welfare of the Bothan race and strive to see that both Bothans and the clan were served. New rules were also established in the Council of Combined Clans to better foster cooperation between the different clans for the purpose of Bothan advancement at large.

The applause eventually subsides and Dood draws his breath and begins speaking again.

"By age 30, Kroth was elected by the citizens of Bothawui as the Governor General of Bothawui. In this position he served for 10 years, faithfully and masterfully seeing that our own gem in the Galactic Sky was kept to a polish and beauty to be forever unmatched elsewhere in the Republic."

More applause comes, though not as loud as the previous round.

"Finally, at age 40, Kroth was elected to the role that most know him for today, that of the Bothan Representative to the Galactic Senate of the Republic.

It was there, in the Senate that Kroth Amm'nel rose to become known to the Galactic Consciousness. For 16 years he toiled in a legislative body that habitually dwells in the mild atmosphere congenial to deliberative.

It was this time among the rest of the Aristocracy that Kroth came to what he claimed to be his greatest insight: That The Way was incomplete."

Dood looks out over the audience again. There is no sound from the mourners. Kroth's proclamation that The Way may in some way be incomplete was his most controversial view and one that earned him the ire of many of those sitting in attendance today.

Sensing that the dramatic pause has served its purpose, Dood continues.

"He preached to the Bothan race that self-interest without enlightenment is a path that leads shortly to one's own undoing. His suggestion was that the Bothan race adopt a stance that in aiding others they aid themselves. He often said that by providing the thirsty man with water from our well, that man's interest in protecting our well grows. His interest in seeing that the water remains pure and healthful, grows to support our own desire for the same. And in time that man comes to support our other aims.

This idea was not without its detractors."

Dood pauses to take a sip of tea which has been steaming in front of him.

“The Way is The Way!” they would shout. “Bothans above all others!” There were calls for impeachment. There were calls for the Clans to censure the Amm family and the Inel clan. Still, Kroth persevered.

Over time those who's views contradicted those of my father came to understand that my father's predominant sentiment, from first to last, was a deep devotion to the cause of the Bothan Race and an ardent wish for their elevation. With him this was a primary and all-controlling passion. Subsidiary to this was the conduct of his entire life."

Dood's voice begins to become more infused with emotion than before. He continues to look from one mourner to the next as he continues one.

"He loved the Bothan people because he was a Bothan. He loved the Republic because, while the Republic necessarily represented the interests and goals of over a thousand different races, it also served and protected the interests of the Bothan people – and he burned with a zeal for the advancement, prosperity, and glory of the Republic because he saw in such the advancement, prosperity, and glory of the Bothan race."

Applause once again comes from the crowd. The atmosphere has definitely changed from one of somber mourning to one of more celebration of the achievements of a great man. The feel is more that of a political rally than a funeral.

"It was this zeal that aided him in the crafting and passage of numerous bills in the Senate the aide the betterment of Bothawui, its sector, and the Republic. Perhaps his greatest achievement was the passage of what the Senatorial record shows to be Bill 114388.9. More informally it was known across the Republic as the Carpasian Reconstruction Act."

Dood waits while the next round of applause swells and subsides. He feels great pride as he discusses his father's great works (as he sees them).

"Reciting the entirety of the bill would, of course, be unnecessary in this heady company. It is well-remembered that the Republic, in an effort to demonstrate the inherent goodness of its membership, allowed old aggression be forgotten so that suffering and malice would not forever take root in the worlds and systems that served on the side of the Mandalore.

It is well-remembered that Bothawui provided much of the necessary logistics and made the earliest reconstruction projects possible for the bill's goals to be achieved.

It is well-remembered that the Senator from Bothawui often said that this was but the beginning."

Again applause fills the air. Dood stands very erect as he allows the others to celebrate his father. He opens his mouth to speak and pauses again as he struggles to choke back the tears of pride and loss that have been lurking at the periphery of his consciousness. When he regains his composure, his voice is quieter and softer.

"It should be well-remembered that it was in this manner that my father lived. This is the legacy he leaves for us.

Kroth Amm'nel is dead. His long and eventful life is closed. Our Republic, our race, our one Bothan family is prosperous and powerful. And if my father's efforts have contributed to such a consummation , it will be what he most ardently wished and none of his labors will have been more valuable to his Republic and his kind. Such a Bothan was demanded by the times in which he lived, but he is gone."

There is silence as Dood allows the point to sink in. He sips his tea again and can hear sniffles in the front row, though he cannot tell if they are those of his mother or Borssk.

"Those of us who loved my father and who take him to rest eternally today pray that what he was to us and what he wished for others will some day come to pass for all of the Galaxy.

The Amm family and the Inel clan thank the multitudes that have rained blossoms on Kroth's memory. He has passed to stand with the great leaders of our history."

Dood collects his notes and walks away from the podium.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:47 pm

The funeral concludes with the burying of the remains and a long line of mourners wishing their final respects before going to the reception. Many shake Dood, Borssk, and their mother's hand and wish them well in their grief. As they proceed out a smaller reception for family and clan is held back at the estate. The affair is rather emotional as various Bothans recount their fondest memories of Koth. Klak is politely asked to remain outside the main reception area (you can go to the kitchen, or your room, this is a bothan affair).
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:55 pm

The next morning Dood and Klak awake to a nice breakfast prepared by Polo.

As you eat your mother joins you and Klak.

"Well today I suppose we have to settle the estate. I hate this part of death. It seems so gauche. The dead are barely set in the ground and the lawyers would have us fighting over scraps. Maybe the ancients had it right, build huge burial monuments and take it all with you."
she says nursing her caf.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Dood snorts.

"With the worker unions today I think you'd have a very hard time getting the monuments completed in two or three Bothan's lifetimes, let alone one."

Dood looks over at Klak, who is carefully eating around the rals eggs on his plate. At least he seemed to be enjoying his ganjuko bacon.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:22 pm

"I'm just saying that death and the aftermath is awkward. So what are your plans? I imagine you'll want to settle down on Bothawui and take up proper clan duties. No more galavanting around the galaxy I suppose." She asks.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Dood doesn't look up at his mother. He does glance sideways at Klak, who is now staring at him in about the same amount of expectancy as Dood's mother.

"It's what Father would have wanted. It's my birthright. It's The Way. Of course I will stay."

Dood goes stares at his plate for a moment, then looks up at his mother very seriously. After a moment, he goes back to his breakfast.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:57 pm

"It is good to hear that son. I was worried what effect the galaxy was taking on you. Those bothans who forget their roots are lost souls. And I don't want any of my sons to be lost souls."
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Dood, Borssk, their mother and Klak all ride to Koth's lawyers office located in a high rise in Drev'starn. Klak is asked to wait in the lobby as he is not family. The offices are filled with marble inlay and heavy dark wood ornamentation. After a formal introduction process the family is escorted to the lawyer's main office where a large wooden desk (an antique) is located and many large comfortable chairs. There is the bothan lawyer, two men in suits who were sitting on the leather couch but stand when you walk into the room.

"Greetings Dood, Borssk and Theyak. I wish this was under better circumstances. I am deeply sorry for your loss." Tereb Wundi'solak your father's lawyer says. "I'd like to introduce you to your father's banker Corell Neen and his assistant Montgomery Sorns." They both bow slightly to show respect and wait for the family to be seated before sitting themselves.

"I know that the issue of probates, ie last wills and testaments, is a trying thing to work through in any time, but at a time of sudden and unexpected loss like this there is a lot of emotions that your family is sorting through right now. I want you all to remember that the will is what Koth wanted, and should there be any ambiguity or uncertainty, this law firm is willing to provide impartial arbitrators to settle any issue that arises."

He pauses and unseals the envelope that contained the cryptodatacard with the will. He popped it into the desk computer and turned on the holovid projector. An image of Koth Amm'nel appears before you. He looks a few years younger than he was when he died making this recording probably about five years old.

"Dearest Theyak, Dood and Borssk. If you are watching this, then my time came and I have moved on past the final chapter of life. I hope you are all in good health and wealth. There are two things I value above all else. My education which was given to me over a lifetime and my family who taught me so much more than my classes in school. Everything else I find to be secondary and ultimately trivial. Know that I loved you all, and wish you nothing but happiness in life's journey.

Now to the matter of my possessions, accounts and estate. With the exception of the family estate, and the objects therein, I would like all accounts and possessions to be liquidated in their earliest convenient manner and have the value distributed into four sections. Section 1 is 10% to go towards the maintenance of the family estate. I currently have an account that Mr. Neen setup to that end which shall continue to be funded through that. Any and all maintenance and salary for staff shall come from that account. The remaining 90% of the liquidation shall be split equally among Theyak, Dood, and Borssk in accounts set up in their name which they retain full control over at the time of the reading of this will. At my request, Mr. Neen or his replacement is to at the time of my death prepare a financial assessment to give to the surviving family.

Before I sign off and allow the bankers and lawyers to earn their keep, I want to again express my love for you all. May life's journey be a constant road of surprises and your health and wealth grow like a might tree."
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 pm

Dood hugs his mother.

"Father always did like the Might Trees when they bloomed in the Spring."

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Mr. Neen stands up.
"I want to express our sincere sympathy for your loss." He pauses. "As you know Sen. Amm'nel requested that we prepare a statement of his asset wealth to allow for distribution amongst living heirs. It seems that his accounts...." He pauses with a slightly panicked look on his face. "It would seem his accounts had significantly less wealth than we expected. We had believed with assets and investments that he should have been worth approximately twelve million credits, but upon further review many of his investments didn't seem prudent. I've had Montgomery here look into it in more detail. I'll let him explain."

Corell Neen sits down and Montgomery Sorns stands up. "Hello, my name is Montgomery Sorns, I'm a junior account manager with a specialization in accounting, ledger analysis, portfol.."
"Just get on with it." Corell Neen interjects.

"I'm sorry. Um I was pretty excited for the chance to work on such a big account, but was sad that it was under these circumstances. I started looking at the accounts to get a market value for this report that was ordered. And as I began looking the direct investments that Senator Amm'nel had instructed were in companies that were fake. Well they weren't fake, they were what the police procedurals refere to as 'front' companies. Technically that is a misnomer because.."
"Montgomery, focus." Corell Neen interjects again.
"Sorry. So it appears that Senator Amm'nel started a series of direct investments approximately seven years ago in companies at the suggestion of one of the people who worked as a lobbyists for the banking clan. But as time went on those companies were bought and resold in a complicated series of transactions making the money very difficult to track. Senator Amm'nel kept getting earnings reports, but those numbers were pretty much whole fiction as far as I can tell. The best we can figure is that the amount of wealth left is now down to about 75 thousand credits in cash or easily liquified assets and the family estate. I'm really sorry." He meekly sits down.

The lawyer looks shocked and Corell Neen just holds his down in shame before saying. "We have reported this to the authorities as a fraud case, but this could take a while and have very little in way of recuperation of assets."
Jounville Blackferne

Arrican
Deacon

The Taris Event Chapter 3:Dood and Klak attend Funeral subpl

Post by Arrican » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:28 pm

Dood wrote:Dood hugs his mother.

"Father always did like the Might Trees when they bloomed in the Spring."
Haw haw... And you broke yo!!!

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:26 pm

Dood sits quietly for a moment. He then closes his eyes and as he slowly opens them, begins to speak.

"So, if I'm understanding this all correctly, sir. My father, the late Senator, was swindled out of the entire family fortune and then dies in a random shuttle accident?"

As the accountant starts to answer, Dood holds up his hand to stop him.

"You've turned this over to the authorities, who - precisely - is running the investigation?"