The Taris Event Chapter 1

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop
The Taris Event Chapter 1

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:34 am

This is the first chapter in the Star Wars Saga Edition RPG game we are playing. This campaign is intended to last approximately 20 chapters and as players come and go I can write you in and out and back in, but will only do so on a chapter by chapter basis. The first chapter only has the following players in it Happyclam as Solumnos, Reese as Klak Reen, Dood as Dood, Arrican as So Leet, Whitey as Syric Frost, Furiel as Eli, Gando as Wailer, and Bulwark as himself. Kitoshi notified me he will not have time to play the first chapter so will be written into the main story arc at a later chapter as appropriate. Any posts not from me or a player character will be deleted. Any posts from a player that is not focused on playing the game will also be deleted. I would like any out of character comments on chapter 1 to be kept to the parallel thread for commentary. If you would like to review character sheets for players and selected NPCs please refer to http://www.thechurchofalvis.com/SWSE/tarisevent.html if you have any concerns about the game, or questions about how to play feel free to contact me by PM or email, or ask in the parallel thread for Out of Character commentary.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The most interesting aspect of Lok is the fact that there is any kind of functional Spaceport. Even by Outer Rim standards it is underdeveloped and uncivilized. The wind that hits the face upon leaving the spaceship that brought you here has a cold and dry feel to it. This is countered by the warmth of the sun shining in a cloudless sky. The temperature is approximately 13 degrees Celsius. In the distance short shrubs dot the hill side showing defiantly that life will find the most uninteresting places to take root.

Locals agree to take you via speeder to a small village 200km south of the spaceport named Mesa de Venganza. The guides that take you into the village have odd dialects and speech patterns of galactic basic betraying that it isn’t their native tongue. They don’t seem to terribly talkative and eye you suspiciously. As you speed along occasionally you see a homestead farm with large fields of some kind of grain, wheat probably. Rarely in the voyage do you see another person, droid or speeder until you come up on a low walled village that has at most 6 buildings.

The gruff speeder cabby reluctantly takes 50 credits and expresses resign umbrage to the insult of having to take so little for such a long trip with such a smelly passenger as yourself. He refuses to aid you in taking your bags past the wall’s gate on the west side of the village.

Walking around you see two old men standing in a doorway of the first building. One is human the other is rodian. Both are eyeing you suspiciously as you carrying your bag looking for the Church of Alvis. In the light of day, the bold and brilliant claims Jounville made about his religious home town do not match what you see before you. This settlement, a word that would be a stretch by most definitions, is a series of small buildings in a deteriorating state.

I suppose Arillius sent for you in regards to his boy.” says the human with a judgemental tone. “Head over to that shack, I mean church on the east side of the village.

You walk over to a small building that has some prefab unit panels making up the main walls, but clearly has stone and clay filler in parts where the prefab panels couldn’t properly join. As you pass through the doorway into the church’s “nave” you see a collection of varied men milling about, righting knocked over chairs and other furniture.

Well I guess that is the last of them to arrive. I’m Arillius Blackferne, Joun’s father. I called you all here because my boy is missing. This isn’t like one of his normal drunken escapades. Hell I wish it were that since that just is waiting for a cantina owner to contact me about a bar tab to come pick him up. I get ahead of myself. Allow me to introduce you to everyone.

Arillius points out a tall lanky man in his mid 30s. “Syric Frost here has been a frequent friend to Joun for going on what 6 years now? I’m not exactly sure what business he is in, and I think he prefers it that way.

Arillius then motions to a mid 30s Cerean sitting reclined in a chair with his feet propped up on another looking down at a datapad. “This is So Leet. He is a whiz with computers and I think hacked something 10 years ago that got him in trouble with the Exchange.

The next person he motions to is a gray furred Bothan donning a dark purple jacket sitting on a low step up to the “altar area” of the “church”. “Dood Ammn’el is a wanderring soul if I ever met one. He ran with me and Joun a few years back for a stint. Fine enough mechanic, and always got an ear for a story. I’m glad you came out. I wasn’t sure I’d find you.

Bulwark Migs here met Joun over some docking fees or something? I can’t remember the details, but you two ran some scams there for a stretch.” Arillius motioned to a mid 30s man sitting in a chair with his carbine nestled in his arms.

Arillius walks over to a Zabrak with a damaged horn on his head. “Klak Reen served with Joun in the Galactic Repub Army. They ran together fro a while when Joun didn’t re-up his enlistment. I used to think that decision would have saved his life, but now I’m not so sure. Thanks for coming Klak.

Eli there is some kind of pit fighter or something.” Arillius points to an imposing young man who has a piece of iron rebar fastened to his side. His arms folded show the definition of a fit man. “Actually I remember Joun saying you were pretty devout and a focused soul, whatever that means. I’m glad you came out.

And last we have the honorable Solumnos, Columi envoy I think. I’m not sure how you and Joun knew each other. Care to explain?” Arillius looks at a frail creature in a repulsor lift chair who has a head disproportionally large for its short weak body. By the creatures side is a modified protocol droid with red metallic tint body. The droid seems to be adjusting some controls on the side of the chair.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Reese
Priest

Re: The Taris Event Chapter 1

Post by Reese » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:06 am

"Good luck getting him to say anything, I think that little droid does all the work for him" groused Klak while finishing a large ale. "Frankly Arillius I would be happy to help out my old pal Joun. I owe him for introducing me to the ways of Alvis and getting me out of the damn army. But I'm not sure what this group of misfits is going to do to help you out." Klak looked over the gathered crowd, "I just don't see any other fighter nearing the prowess I have as a soldier. Joun must have told you they will sing songs of me one day."

For all his guile and obvious ego, Klak looked to be on the downslope of a pitiful career and a bad hangover. Though young, he looked like he had fought ten lifetimes worth of wars. In fact the most redeeming quality he must have possessed was his pitch black skin. At least he could hide in the dark during a fight.

"If we are all going to sit around introducing ourselves and patting each other on the back I'm going to need a lot more of your cheapest ale" Klak stood up searching the room for another drink and seemed to realize he had been rude "Sorry Arillius, I trust you gathered the right group, and if Joun trusted them, I do to. I'm just happy to help. Now about that drink...."
This... I Command!

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Looking at the brash, young soldier, Bulwark says, “Settle down there Junior. Insulting the rest of us isn’t going to get your friend back any sooner.”

Bulwark stands up and, sliding his carbine into his holster, turns to Arillius, “So what’s the story? How do we know your son’s gone missing and hasn’t just drunk himself into the bottom of some pit somewhere?

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:42 pm

From a side door connecting the church's nave to what appears to be an "office" a man in his late 30s wearing weave armor combat suit walks out holding a datacard to Arillius.

"Because the security feed indicates otherwise." The man said. "I couldn't get much out of his computer. Maybe one of these guys would be better."

"Thank you, Eoc. Gentlemen let me introduce my co-pilot Eoc Kikuchiyo." Arillius says taking the card from Eoc and then tossing it to So Leet.
Jounville Blackferne

Arrican
Deacon

Post by Arrican » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Fumblingly catching the data card, he holds it up to the light to examine the markings and design of the card.
"Shouldn't be that hard to figure this out, I was using these things back in the day to reschedule my classes as I saw fit. Never really liked the physical stuff, but if I could have 10 hours of programming I was set. And getting Joun a few extra hours of rack time wasn't hard to do with their system either.
He plugs the data card into his comlink and begins to decipher the information.
16+(10)=26 - Use Computer
"I think that should just about do it, let's get it up on the big screen for the other kids to watch too huh?
Plugs the comlink into the main feed for the display of the Church.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:31 pm

On the slightly cracked view screen Joun had put on the "altar" of the church the security footage from some basic vid recorders start streaming. The audio track is missing and the image isn't a terribly high quality. The images show Jounville walking around in a pretty nervous state. Those that know him, knew that Jounville never appeared nervous usually exuding a calm demeanor, or full of rage as the situation called for. Fear was not something typically associated with Jounville's personality. That said fear is clearly on display on the screen as Jounville frantically walks back and forth taking swigs from a bottle, muttering to himself and checking his blaster to make sure the safety is off.

A small object flies into view of the camera followed by a bright flash whiting out the screen. As the camera and light levels adjust a few bolts of blaster fire are exchanged and finally Jounville's body slumps to the floor dropping his blaster and his bottle. Two armored Duros walk into the shot and a Gamorrean wearing a vest. They apparently argue while restraining Jounville in binder cuffs and search the church tossing furniture. They walk into and out of the shot for about 15 minutes before the Gamorrean lifts Jounville's body over his shoulder and they walk off screen.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:02 pm

During the ransacking of the church I'm going to be focusing on the two Duros and the Gamorrean, do they have any distinguishing features, or perhaps any patches, decals, logo's etc in common that might identify them as being part of any sort of group or gang.

Since it's 15 minutes of them moving about and theoretically we can pause/rewind/etc I assume I can at least take 10 on my roll.
Perception = 10+(7)=17

"Anyone recognize them?"
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:08 pm

The Duros are wearing pretty common weave armor available at most paramilitary supply shops. Their faces are covered by helmets that obscure most of their face, but given the head shape it is clear they are Duros. The Gamorrean however has a combat vest revealing his muscular arms. On his right arm appears a tattoo. Eli indicates he wants a closer look at that and So Leet zooms in and enchances. There is only so much refinement he can do, but it looks like some kind of lizard head with the tongue hanging out and a sword piercing down through the skull.

The weapons you see wielded are typical carbines found in use by the Sith Empire, The Galactic Republic, and various members of the exchange.
Jounville Blackferne

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Walking closer to the screen, Bulwark says, “It looks like Jounville upset the wrong person. I’m no expert, but I don’t think the Sith employ many Gamorreans. And that doesn’t look like the work of the Republic. Either the Exchange or some other criminal outfit got him, or maybe some local government. Lok is pretty far from most established governments, so I am betting on the criminals.” Bulwark looks closer at the image. “They don’t appear to have any survival gear with them. So they either landed just outside of town or took a transport from the spaceport. If they landed a ship close by, there should still be evidence outside from when it lifted off.”

Bulwark heads out the door and checks the ground around the compound.
Survival: 8 + (13) = 21

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:27 pm

Bulwark checks this area. This will take approximately 30 minutes to do a proper sweep of the area in a 1km radius around the compound.
Jounville Blackferne

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Hanging towards the back, Syric passes his gaze over each of the assembled viewers as they watch Jounville's last known actions, trying to gauge the various responses and get a feel for the situation. He attempts to inconspicuousy set the bottle down he had been sipping from, once he recognized it on the screen.

"But why take him. Why not just finish him off here?" Syric asks. "Maybe he did more than just upset someone again, because those guys are looking for something.
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:35 pm

"Yeah Syric. They are after something and when they couldn't find it, they took Jounville presumably because he knew where it was." says Arillius. "My guess is my bonehead son has found out something he shouldn't have and now someone wants what he found out."
Jounville Blackferne

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Where the hell would he hide something here? "I guess it wouldn't hurt to take another look around."

Syric begins to search the Church.
Perception = 20 + (7) = 27
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Syric searches the church and discovers all of the usual things you might expect Jounville to be hiding. There are a few weapons hidden in nooks and crannies throughout the church. 6 flasks (various levels of whiskey consumed) are stashed in various places.

In the office you find his computer terminal, a desk, a few chairs, more guns and more booze. There are various datacards piled up next to the computer terminal. Going through them one at a time reveals normal run of the mill things like expenses, half finished mushy letters to various women he's known over the years, some letters from his mother. There are travel records of places he has been over the last several years but no apparent pattern or "odd" location jumps out at you.
Jounville Blackferne

Arrican
Deacon

Post by Arrican » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:26 pm

So Leet sits down at the computer terminal in the office.
"Let me have a crack at this thing."
He starts punching in various passwords Joun would have been likely to use on the screen you see - Whiskey/Booze/Guns/Vengeance/Cheesefandango...
Use Computer = 13 + 10 = 23
You notice So Leet's comlink is also scrolling through various images of known questionable trade organizations looking for a match to the Gammoreans insignia.
Use Computer (taking 10, because I don't think this can have a negative impact by looking for a matching logo) = 10+10 = 20
"Survey says...."

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Looking over the assembled personages, Solumnos' head turns, "I am here at the behest of my ambassador who extended his courtesy to your father.", a disapproving frown directed at Klak, though no answer is given.

During the ensuing melee and such, Solumnos gets the hell out of the way and tries to look less like a target, the droid ducking down as well. When all is done, he listens quietly to the others, interjecting, "This is why you should not mix with the criminal element.", giving a disapproving sniff.

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:40 pm

With a sly smile, Syric combines the flasks so he has three full ones. He stashes one in his pack, one in a pocket in his pants and one in his jacket. "Don't want to put all my eggs in one basket" Syric mutters to no one in particular.
Spoiler:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:52 pm

So Leet starts his database searches via his hacking skills. Due to the size of the databases he is accessing combined with the slow speed of the connection due to older relays to this sector of space his search will take a while.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Happyclam wrote:Looking over the assembled personages, Solumnos' head turns, "I am here at the behest of my ambassador who extended his courtesy to your father.", a disapproving frown directed at Klak, though no answer is given.

During the ensuing melee and such, Solumnos gets the hell out of the way and tries to look less like a target, the droid ducking down as well. When all is done, he listens quietly to the others, interjecting, "This is why you should not mix with the criminal element.", giving a disapproving sniff.
"Forgive my master. Hyperspace travel sometimes has a disorienting effect on his frail body which clouds his mind. What he probably intended to say is that we traveled to this rustic corner of the galaxy at the behest of Koth Amm'nel, father of Dood there. My master is here merely to advise as Dood Amm'nel mentioned to his father about the affinity he holds for the Blackferne clan." Z2-KP chimes in with a droll tone. Droids rarely express boredom in their speech, but this model seems to be hitting the marks perfectly.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Bulwark wrote:Walking closer to the screen, Bulwark says, “It looks like Jounville upset the wrong person. I’m no expert, but I don’t think the Sith employ many Gamorreans. And that doesn’t look like the work of the Republic. Either the Exchange or some other criminal outfit got him, or maybe some local government. Lok is pretty far from most established governments, so I am betting on the criminals.” Bulwark looks closer at the image. “They don’t appear to have any survival gear with them. So they either landed just outside of town or took a transport from the spaceport. If they landed a ship close by, there should still be evidence outside from when it lifted off.”

Bulwark heads out the door and checks the ground around the compound.
Survival: 8 + (13) = 21
Dood glances around the room and gets up to follow Bulwark.

I'll give you a hand with that.

Survival 8 + (15) = 23

Dood pats Aurillius on the arm as he walks by.
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:25 pm

[OOC: Just informed of a background adjustment made by the GM]

Dood nods to Solumnus as he passes through the door.
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:26 pm

"oh come now friends don't be so thin skinned. If we are going to get Joun back we are all going to have to get along and learn to take a joke" clearly Klak was not sorry but embarrassed and trying to make himself look better to the group. He stumbled towards the monitor, was he still drunk or just really hungover?

"After my years in the Army I would agree these don't seem like soldiers to me but let my eyes focus on it for a minute." staring at the monitor Klak knows he can help. he wouldnt be here if he couldnt help. But his eyes were so blurry, he just hoped he could prove these arent soldiers. A soldier just wouldnt do this. Perception = 7 + (6) = 13
This... I Command!

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Syric sits back and thinks about the evidence presented so far, with the help of the occaisonal pull from his new found flasks.

"I wonder if the goons on the screen knew what they were looking for or if they were just the muscle hired to bring Joun in..." he thought aloud. "If they were told what to look for, we can assume it was small enough to fit in here." Not like the cruiser we had borrowed from an irate cantina owner who thought he could kick out two men full of the Alvian spirit with no consequences.

Syric chuckles to himself quietly.
Spoiler:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:31 pm

The scouts head out and do the initial 1km radial sweep of the area looking for any signs of starship landing. The look for the tell tale signs of the landing thrusters displacing grass and dirt in a tripod or quadrilateral pattern common among most known ships in the galaxy. After no signs of that in 1km they decide to expand out to 2km since there are two of them working in tandem. They still don't find any landing sites. The only thing their scouting reveals is a large degree of speeder traffic from up north to Mesa and back out to the starport. More vapor damage than you'd expect given the number of visitors assembled in the church.

As they pack it in and get back to the church the two old men near the gate ask:

"What are you two looking for?"
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Reese wrote:"oh come now friends don't be so thin skinned. If we are going to get Joun back we are all going to have to get along and learn to take a joke" clearly Klak was not sorry but embarrassed and trying to make himself look better to the group. He stumbled towards the monitor, was he still drunk or just really hungover?

"After my years in the Army I would agree these don't seem like soldiers to me but let my eyes focus on it for a minute." staring at the monitor Klak knows he can help. he wouldnt be here if he couldnt help. But his eyes were so blurry, he just hoped he could prove these arent soldiers. A soldier just wouldnt do this. Perception = 7 + (6) = 13
It is pretty obvious to your soldier training that these men lack the discipline that any Republic soldier would have had drilled into them in basic. And based on the skirmishes you've had with Sith soldiers in cantinas over the years they don't show the discipline and efficiency of movement that results from their training techniques. Joun's downfall was simply being outgunned and boxed in. That is as much as you can tell from the video.
Jounville Blackferne