The Taris Event: Prologue

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop
The Taris Event: Prologue

Post by Blackferne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:52 am

You wake to the sound of your datapad beeping. The room is swimming and a dull throb in your head is all you feel physically. The lights seem too bright, but you know by anyone else's standards they would be considered dim. You sit up finding yourself like you usually do in some utility closet of a bar. Probably a dive given the smell. The datapad continues to beep.

After righting yourself you flick the datapad's screen and have a simple message typed.

TCOAHO::>Jounville is missing. Your help is needed. -AB

This is what I hope will be a great experiment in our forum history. I intend to run a SWGRPG game over the forum. Dood sent me game system documentation and I will be reading over the next few days and figure out how we can transition it to an online forum campaign. Please signup in this thread if interested.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Reese
Priest

Re: The Taris Event: Prologue

Post by Reese » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:16 am

/raises-hand. Me. Pick me.
This... I Command!

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 pm

If interested You will need to list a Character name (if none is provided your forum handle will be used), species, and class. I will reply with a set of attribute skills I roll up using a (4d6-lowest roll) x 6. The sum of your attributes will not be less than 80. (This happened to a few of you pretty badly when I started rolling up sets). You may allocate them however you like.

Available Races:
Human
Bothan
Cerean
Duros
Ewok
Gamorrean
Gungan
Ithorian
Kel Dor
Mon Cal
Rodian
Sullustan
Trandoshian
Twi'lek
Wookiee
Zabrak
Other (If these is a species you want to play that is not on this list let me know. I will look it up on Wookieepedia and make some ad-hoc rules. If it isn't on Wookieepedia like Vulcan or Borg I will not allow it)

Classes:
Jedi
Noble
Scoundrel
Scout
Soldier
I will allow multiclass as you advance but you must start as only one of these classes. Prestige classes are earned down the road (so like Bounty Hunter, Crime Lord etc etc)

The link to the rulebook I will be working off of is going to anyone interested in playing's PM. I will also expect a brief character bio. The Era we will be working off of is the time immediately after KOTOR 1s events. So (spoiler alert) the Star Forge has been destroyed. And I'll be working off the assumption Revan went light side).

I also do not necessarily expect people to choose Republic or Sith. You are being summoned to the Church Home Office off your datapad message relay. What you've been doing and why is not my concern so if you want to be a dark jedi, sith soldier, republic trooper, crime-y scoundrel, or a sith in training I don't much care.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:57 pm

You already know I'm in.

Bawlz deep.
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm

I am so noobishly in for this
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Blackferne wrote:If interested You will need to list a Character name (if none is provided your forum handle will be used), species, and class. I will reply with a set of attribute skills I roll up using a (4d6-lowest roll) x 6. You may allocate them however you like.
I wanna be a Columi scoundrel.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Happyclam wrote:
Blackferne wrote:If interested You will need to list a Character name (if none is provided your forum handle will be used), species, and class. I will reply with a set of attribute skills I roll up using a (4d6-lowest roll) x 6. You may allocate them however you like.
I wanna be a Columi scoundrel.
Since the ruleset Dood gave me has no Columi listed I have to make ad-hoc modifiers to your stats. What do you think would be some fair bonuses and penalties?
Jounville Blackferne

Gandolfini
Priest

Post by Gandolfini » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:45 am

How could I pass up the opprotunity to be a Gungan Jedi? Wailer would be a good name. (After Bunny Wailer)
Spelt chick it fur putties!

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 pm

http://home.comcast.net/~pawnnolonger/M ... S_2.0b.pdf

Here is a copy of the character sheets. Using the link to rulebooks I sent you try and fill it out as best you can and email me what you have. I will keep a copy on my home desktop which will be considered for the purpose of the game the definitive copy. I will edit and publish and host copies for reference during the game.
Jounville Blackferne

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Well, from what I have read about them, they would be wholly dependent on machines, so they would be physically frail as far as their bodies go, but have a very high intelligence. They would also have a robot chair/exoskeleton to move around in, as well as droid assistants. Because of their physical limitations, I would say their strength/dexterity/constitution be limited to a certain number, while their intelligence be boosted by the extra numbers or something similar. The chair/exoskeleton would be the added defense to overcome the physical frailty, with droids being used to help with manual tasks. They are able to control machines with their minds, but have lost their sense of smell and taste.

I would prolly say -10 str, -10 dex,-10 con, with +30 int perhaps? Or something similar. Then we would have to hammer out details of the chair/exoskeleton and what kind of droid assistants he would have. I'd also like to change to a Noble rather than a scoundrel.

What I've come up with as a loose background is that he is a functionary in the government.
Last edited by Happyclam on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Happyclam wrote:Well, from what I have read about them, they would be wholly dependent on machines, so they would be physically frail as far as their bodies go, but have a very high intelligence. They would also have a robot chair/exoskeleton to move around in, as well as droid assistants. Because of their physical limitations, I would say their strength/dexterity/constitution be limited to a certain number, while their intelligence be boosted by the extra numbers or something similar. The chair/exoskeleton would be the added defense to overcome the physical frailty, with droids being used to help with manual tasks. They are able to control machines with their minds, but have lost their sense of smell and taste.
So let's say that the Int is +4, Wisdom +4 Dexterity -2, Constitution -6. But Strength is considered compensated by their droids/exoskeleton so it is a wash. sound like a good start? Also if you want that I will allow you the exoskeleton and minor droid helper bot which I will make some stats for, but you get to name.
Jounville Blackferne

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Happyclam wrote:Well, from what I have read about them, they would be wholly dependent on machines, so they would be physically frail as far as their bodies go, but have a very high intelligence. They would also have a robot chair/exoskeleton to move around in, as well as droid assistants. Because of their physical limitations, I would say their strength/dexterity/constitution be limited to a certain number, while their intelligence be boosted by the extra numbers or something similar. The chair/exoskeleton would be the added defense to overcome the physical frailty, with droids being used to help with manual tasks. They are able to control machines with their minds, but have lost their sense of smell and taste.
So let's say that the Int is +4, Wisdom +4 Dexterity -2, Constitution -6. But Strength is considered compensated by their droids/exoskeleton so it is a wash. sound like a good start? Also if you want that I will allow you the exoskeleton and minor droid helper bot which I will make some stats for, but you get to name.

Heh. I just edited my last post, but from what I understand, their intelligence is much higher. As far as the chair goes, I was simply thinking of a simple repulsorlift chair that is lightly armored and doesn't add to stats so much as simply add armor and such. He would be dependent on the droids for all manner of tasks. Their limbs and bodies have atrophied quite a bit, which is why I would put more penalties on their physical traits.

Other possible stat modifiers might be -7 str, -7 dex, -7 con, +7 wis +9 int, to keep it more in line without huge bonuses or penalties.

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Dood will be Dood. Bothan and I'm thinking I'll start as a Scout, though I'm also thinking that going Noble would give me access to the Gather Information skill which, as a Bothan, I'd get a bonus to.

What does the group think? Go Noble and then multi to Scout or go Scout and then multi to noble?
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Happyclam wrote:
Blackferne wrote:

Heh. I just edited my last post, but from what I understand, their intelligence is much higher. As far as the chair goes, I was simply thinking of a simple repulsorlift chair that is lightly armored and doesn't add to stats so much as simply add armor and such. He would be dependent on the droids for all manner of tasks. Their limbs and bodies have atrophied quite a bit, which is why I would put more penalties on their physical traits.

Other possible stat modifiers might be -7 str, -7 dex, -7 con, +7 wis +9 int, to keep it more in line without huge bonuses or penalties.
Okay here is what we will do, go with you -7x3 , +7, +9 for you. You will be in a repulsorlift chair which has an initially weak force field to protect it, and has no offensive capabilities. For offensive combat you will be allowed one combat droid per 15 points of Int rounded down (so no matter what you do now in regards to your stats you only get 1). I'll read up on droid models and we will figure out a way to allow you to upgrade it as you get money/loot/skills etc. Also should you get incapacitated in your chair there is a 60% chance the droid stops combat operations all together(it fights for you, not Dood), a 30% chance it will continue to fight (as I control it not you), and a 10% chance it will turn on the party and fight for the enemies(beware your robot insurrection).

And given your massive intelligence I'm going to give you 3 bonus languages at the start. (This goes beyond any intelligence bonus languages you get as you progress).
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Roster list so far:
Arrican- Wookiee Soldier Lvl 1
Dood- Scout or noble so we'll just say undecided lvl 1
Happyclam- (no character name yet) Columbi Scoundrel lvl 1
Klak Reen (Reese) Zabrak Soldier lvl 1
Gando- Unnamed Gungan Jedi lvl 1
Whitey- Unnamed, unclassed, unspecied lvl 1
Kitoshi- Unnamed unclassed unspecied lvl 1
Furiel- Unnamed unclasses unspecied lvl 1
Bulwark- Bulwark, Human Soldier lvl 1
Arillius- Arillius, Human Scoundrel lvl 3 (not a full time character, run by Blackferne)

And to answer a question Dood asked, I don't care about class balance. If all players wanted to be one class I would just design encounters around it, and I will probably have various pro-party npcs I'll be running for stretches with you guys. So play what class you want. We are not bound to the tank/healer/dps trinity if you have a gm who cares more about stpry telling than clever game mechanics.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Oh so we can get rolling. Signup of interest is by thursday Feb 17th. Character sheets are due Sunday Feb 20th. Game starts monday with the exposition post. If you do not sign up and wish to participate later contact me and we might have you come in for a limited stretch or at a later point, but it will be more coordinated.
Jounville Blackferne

Kitoshi
Priest

Post by Kitoshi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:45 pm

Are you gonna have a separate place to post the character sheets so everyone can keep track of other people's stats and what not? Be a good way to do levels and distribute loot, etc. Just a though, don't know if this would complicate things too much or not.

I'll look at getting a character together this week. I loved playing D20 Star Wars in High School.

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Kitoshi wrote:I loved playing D20 Star Wars in High School.
Noob. When I was in high school, Star Wars RPG dice had 6 sides, and thats the way we liked it.
Now get off my lawn and go listen to your hippity-hop music somewhere else.

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:21 pm

As a note, I'd like to change from Columi scoundrel to Noble.

Also of note is that the Columi control their machines with their mind, so not sure how that would come into play vs. hacking attempts or being knocked out of the chair, unless it disorients the columi, but no biggie.

As far as the chair goes, sounds good. I would say the droid at the start might be a simple model that can do the manual tasks that the columi might not be able to, so doesn't need to be a combat droid or anything like that, especially if the columi is a noble functionary to the government.

As far as names go, how about Solumner?

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:49 pm

Kitoshi, I will probably make a webpage with stat information with links to the character sheet pdfs

Bulwark is in as a human soldier.

Happyclam the droid I said combat but it can be like a C3P0 who can shoot a pistol. Nothing awesome, not like HK-47 or a droideka, but think just a simple assistant. Especially if you go noble.
Jounville Blackferne

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:48 am

found this on the tubes; nto sure if it is the same system, but looks handy.
http://www.pathguy.com/starwars.htm

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:53 am

Bulwark wrote:found this on the tubes; nto sure if it is the same system, but looks handy.
http://www.pathguy.com/starwars.htm
My personal favorite part of the page:
So far, this usually seems to work okay on Netscape, but is slower on Explorer. It takes some time to get started, during which the browser may seem to be locked.
I'm not sure if it is for the exact same system we will be using. Dood supplied me with his Star Wars Saga Edition (SWSE) rulesets. I think I have emailed everyone the link he sent me for the stuff. If you don't have it yet let me know.
Jounville Blackferne

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:03 am

Blackferne wrote:Happyclam the droid I said combat but it can be like a C3P0 who can shoot a pistol. Nothing awesome, not like HK-47 or a droideka, but think just a simple assistant. Especially if you go noble.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:21 am

So after we get our characters all set up, before we actually start I would like combat test round that is independent of the story. I'll design a map placing all of you on it. It will be a royal rumble last man standing wins type thing. There will be some environmental elements which can be blown up/used etc etc. This si so we can work out the kinks of how combat works etc etc since I haven't played a D&D type game since high school, and that was AD&D 2nd edition so this whole d20 thing.
Jounville Blackferne

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:51 am

Ok. How do we fill out the character sheets and such and add what skills/feats we know? I haven't played anything like this in over 20 years, so am a bit rusty. Heh.