LPDnd: As Time Goes By

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Re: LPDnd: As Time Goes By

Post by Blackferne » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:55 pm

@Tony "The Emperor's health is failing? I think that is just rumors. If true, which I doubt, the risk isn't if he dies since the succession is resolved generally really quickly. The risk is if he is weak and a challenger makes a play for the throne. Then you could have a real civil war errupting."
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:26 pm

"Rumor yes, but sometimes rumor is also fact. Sadly there is little information coming from that area that reaches here so who is to say which it is.
Tony Plush is curious, what does the Freeborn Isles make of the situation here on the mainland?"
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:01 pm

@Tony "The Freeborn Isles are gravely concerned. We used to have a great relations with the Cine Empire, but they have been horribly overrun by the Chulassa who seem to not care much for established borders. Being an island confederation of city states we don't have much of a military force that can battle on the land. We've been using our trade prowess to help augment the Mortal Alliance's efforts giving them sweetheart deals for sure. But I fear it may not be enough. The Army of Blood and the Chulassa have something we don't they seem to be favored by some gods or godlike beings. It will take some effort I fear to get us back to a position where the Isles can blindly care only about profit again." The Ambassador says.

"I'd like to interject gentlemen." Lady Roslyn says, "I think that you have the sympathy of some of the guildhalls and shipping company magnates, but I don't know that enough has been done to really dig down and provide more support."

"Now daughter, what would you have them do? To risk their children in a war not for their own land? That would be too much." The Amabassador protests.

"Perhaps, the youth of the Isles just need to learn more, and would see wartime as a chance for glory and profit on their own." Lady Roslyn retorts.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Addressing both the Ambassador and Lady Roslyn
"An interesting proposition my Lady, but let Tony Plush ask you both this question to put it in context...do you think an ocean will stop them? Both the Chulassa and the Army of Blood are bent on conquest and upsetting or overthrowing the divine balance of this world. Do you really think either one would let a little water get in their way?
Tony Plush is beginning to get an understanding of your nation. You are built on trade and profit and that is what you care about, but to be blunt if we lose here, we lose EVERYWHERE. Whether it's Orcus replacing the Raven Queen as god of the dead or B'haal undoing everything, if we lose, there will be no more profits, because you can't profit if you're enslaved or dead. Your people need to understand that. The Dragonborn need to understand that. Every man, woman and child in the Mortal Alliance needs to understand that. This is a war for our way of life at best, our very existence at worst."

Tony will begin seemingly unconsciously toy with his Amulet of Avandra as he says this next part

"You say our enemies have the backing of godlike beings, yes they do. But who says we don't? Maybe the gods have noticed and they have their chosen champions here already and those people just aren't out there shouting from the rooftops their allegiance. Tony Plush knows that doing so would make those person, or persons, highly priority targets to the enemy so staying hidden while still acting would be the most prudent course for a person or persons in that position. If there were a group of them, Tony Plush believes they would likely form a group of some sort that would then take on difficult, but important tasks, to aid in victory. Doing things like bringing more allies to the cause, obtaining items of power to be used in the battles to come and striking at sensitive and important targets. That would be the role Tony Plush would see for such a group."
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 pm

@ Tony. The Ambassador looks a bit shocked by your forceful tone on the first part (I read it with the all caps words as a Aaron Sorkin West Wing style speech, if I'm wrong please let me know). "I assure you Mr. Plush that the gravity of the situation isn't lost on me, but for others they don't seem to grasp it. Faith in the sea as a barrier, or Ancient Dragon gods and a desert for others. Hell the Elven Kingdom has been playing defense and not pushing hard either. People seem across the world to be concerned on what they may lose, but may not appreciate teh greater struggle."

Lady Roslyn in response to teh second part "See father, I told you he was special." She smirks and give syou a sly look before saying. "Befor father leaves for his appointment, we should have desert. A spiced rum cake I got from a lovely little baker this morning. And then Mr. Plush if you'll indulge me in a walk of the grounds I would be most appreciative."
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 am

[ooc] that was the correct emphasis, I meant that to be forceful[/ooc]

"Then in Tony Plush's opinion it is incumbent upon their representatives here, as well as the ones that are sent to those lands, to properly impress upon them the true gravity of the situation. Tony Plush may become a little frustrated at times with others who would sit to the side or try to profit from this situation because Tony Plush has seen the enemy and what they are capable of in trying to achieve their aims. And Tony Plush will die before he let's them win.

But that is not for polite desert conversation. A rum cake sounds delicious and Tony Plush will happily accept your offer of a tour of the grounds Lady Roslyn."

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:37 pm

@Tony a rum cake is brought out and after the desert the Ambassador takes off to his meetings.

Lady Roslyn walks with you to the garden which is lush with flowers and trimmed hedges.

"So Mr. Plush, you have an air of adventure about you. What does a woman like me need to become a daring hero like you? Or is it not a woman's field?" She asks with a flirtatious smile.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:50 pm

"Being a so called hero is not any particular gender's field. The most important traits a hero must have are the ability to be in the wrong place at the right time and a reckless disregard for their own well-being. Otherwise why else would they go put themselves in harms way repeatedly for people who usually don't know or care they exist?" Tony chuckles "A little fatalism helps too."

Tony will pause for a moment

"Being a so called hero honestly isn't something Tony Plush would actually advise anyone to try out as a career. It's hours and hours of boredom trekking from place to place interspersed with moments of terror for your life. It's not unlike being a soldier, the only bonus is that you get a lot more choice in where you are going and what jobs you might take. The pay is inconsistent, it's incredibly dangerous and the same people who may celebrate you one day for saving their lives will try to have you hung the next because something bad happened and you are an outsider, making you an easy target.
Tony Plush assures you it is not as glamorous as you may believe. Having been arrested and accused of robbery by a woman who attempted to mug me in a town after helping the people there does tend to make people a bit cynical though.

A lady of your obvious charms and culture though should leave the dirty work of fighting on the front lines to people like Tony Plush. Not all heroes are the ones with a sword in their hand facing down hordes of crazed cultists. The work behind the scenes to get people to believe and support the fight, those people are the quiet heroes. They may not necessarily get ballads written about them, but they also have a much longer average life span."

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:02 pm

@Tony

"Mr. Plush we live in dangerous times, and a lady might be called upon to act. Would you do me the privilege of showing me how to hold a blade should I even need to keep ruffians at bay? My father says it isn't proper, but I do want to learn." She says batting her eyes and running her hand gently up your arm.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Tony will place his hand on hers for a second, then guide her into a quick spin then I'll let go and give her a bow

"Of course my lady, however there is much more to fighting than knowing how to hold a blade. There are many ways to fight with a blade, based upon your own personal abilities and strengths. For example, being quick and nimble led Tony Plush into fighting with a rapier. Long, slender blades are better for people who are quick and can strike with speed and precision rather than brute force. Any weapon though can be incredibly effective if used by skilled hands. Tony Plush has seen swordsman beaten by a farmer with a quarterstaff because he was overconfident.
The most important thing that beginners overlook is your stance, footwork and balance. That is where it all starts. If your body is not in the proper position you will not be able to strike quickly or accurate. As well as leaving yourself open to be counter-attacked."

Tony will step back and drop into a fighting stance

"Now mirror my stance and hold it."

Once she is in position Tony will move around behind her get very close to adjust her stance then speak softly into her ear

"Now doesn't that feel better and more natural?"

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:21 pm

@Tony She says softly "Yes." she shakes her head slightly as if trying to reorient herself against your charm, "So in a way swordfighting is like dance?"
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:55 pm

Tony will step back and around to face Lady Roslyn

"Fencing and dueling very much so. A battle is more like dancing while you are playing chess because there is more than just you and your opponent to keep track of and to use to your advantage. Each fight has a rhythm all it's own. And when you find that rhythm you can predict what your enemies are going to do it can be a beautiful, but terrible thing.

Now from this ready position, you should be balanced, ready and able to move in any direction to respond to any attack, or make one of your own."

Tony will step back and drop into a ready stance of his own.

"Such as a quick strike."

Tony will make a quick thrust attack, no weapon in hand but as if I was holding my rapier

"Notice how I barely moved my arm in that attack. My arm and wrist provide the guidance to the target and that is it. All the power for a thrust like that comes from your legs. That small step forward transfers all that momentum and power up your legs, through your torso, down your arm and out into the point of your weapon. So even if you are not the biggest or strongest, you can still deliver an powerful attack in such a way. You try."

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 pm

@Tony She mimics you. It shows balance and some leg strength, but not refined in any significant way.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:00 pm

The game will continue in the thread LPDnD: Desert Moon
Jounville Blackferne