Orus chapter 1: Strangers in a strange land

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Re: Orus chapter 1: Strangers in a strange land

Post by Blackferne » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Maeve hands over the parchment.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:20 am

Mayor Niall takes a moment to study it and you see an almost obvious shift in temperament from him....

"This appears to be written in Abyssal, which I cannot read. And clearly you cannot as well or you would have told us the contents. It is concerning that a simple hobgoblin would have a document like this written in the language of demons. What do you all know of goblin society?"
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Darren will look to ponder a bit before mentioning "I doubt there is much different from where I'm from but we have traveled a fair bit to get here, I don't know a lot about their society but from what I've heard and my few dealings with seemed a fair bit like undisciplined human teenagers, capable of self sufficiency but choosing quick short term ways to meet their needs over long term solutions. Which I did find it a bit odd that the sheep where left alone."

Darren will start to show beads of sweat as his alcohol levels have started to dip below what he would normally need to keep control and so forcing it, with Mardak still somewhat waking up so not realizing the cause yet asks if Darren needs him to switch promising to act like Darren. With Darren quickly declining as he fears the mayor also coming to the conclusion that Maeve had first came to that one of them needed to be cast out of the body if the mayor notices the both of them. He will wipe a way the sweat a bit before adding "Do you know of anyone here that might be able to translate the document or will that need to be put on hold until someone from the Nine returns."

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:50 pm

"Darren's assessment seems pretty spot on. Base don the living conditions and the actions taken at the various farms, they don't strike me as planners so much as followers seeking a payday. Which again is why I'm thinking that we cannot assume that the peril has passed even if we did manage to eradicate all the goblins in the county." Maeve says.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:33 am

"I am not aware of anyone who could translate if you cannot. So of you believe the danger has not passed what would you suggest, short term mind you, that we should do to shore up those defenses? Although from what I know I'm not as sure that we need to worry in the immediate term..."
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:39 pm

"Direct danger is probably minimal but the lack of knowledge means we have whole cardinal sections of fields that are untended potentially needlessly, with food being a long term concern I would suggest working to fix that problem as soon as possible. Is there in chance we can meet with the Constable as I'm assuming he would be the one to collect the volunteers needed to scout the areas for any danger?"

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:20 pm

"Your honor I'd like to build on my comrade's sentiment that you need to get people back into the fields working building up the food supply, and it would be imperative you set aside some food from the upcoming harvest for a food bank. Mostly grain as it is less likely to spoil in the long term. In addition you should assist the constable in establishing security relays, so a rider can ride from one side of the county to another quickly to marshal forces as needed. I've got a larger plan for longer term growth that I'd like to talk to you about, but focusing on the issue at hand, you need to have men not working the fields gathering lumber as they can so you can fortify the city walls. In addition you can task women and children to the task of fletching arrows for the town's defense. Back in my village sunday afternoons were spent practicing archery, and a similar edict for practice of archery would allow you to have a defensive force able to shoot from the walls in defense of the town. In short time not spent towards the collective effort is time wasted. Everyone needs to chip in with money, work, or materials to help preserve teh town from the looming threat ahead." Maeve says.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:07 am

"So it is your professional opinion that it is safe for my people to return to their homes. Correct?"

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Darren will be a bit put out, almost loosing control, with Mardak mentally pocking him to get him back to action. He will cough / chuckle behind a fist before responding "A little too early to give the all clear just yet, as the force we've already dealt with could have been all or most of the force if we are lucky or just the tip of the spear. We also don't know if they have expanded beyond the area that was first at issue."

"What I do believe is that is is safe to explore the possibility of working towards the all clear. First by sending volunteer scouts out, with the express order that should they see anything that they do not engage but report back, presumably for us to investigate more thoroughly those and any areas where the scouts did not return. As having just our group doing that will take far too long and be a waste if areas like the south-west section are completely free and safe."

"Presumably we head back out towards the area we wish to further investigate, with the scouting parties getting setup or sent out at the same time and that the time it takes to finish the scouting get presumably be around the time we get back."

"Any area that passes the scouting can be opened up to volunteer men only, preferably residing in centralized locations grouped together and keeping watch at night, best case scenario having a guard that has some farming background included. As well as live stock like the sheep transported closer to town to be available if needed."

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:21 pm

"I'd largely concur. Anything 2 days walk from town seems likely safe. Anything in the woods ro woods adjacent should be scouted first with relays reporting back as needed. We can go investigate the path not taken as a check to make sure we did not miss a secondary goblin threat. In the meantime we need to find someone literate in abyssal to translate that note. Mayor I think it is important that you should consider your town and surrounding area in the ealry stages of trouble similar to if not actually a war. You might have a reprieve, but it is important to take the steps necessary to maximize your defensive posture, and secure your resources. I'm from a farming town, and studied agriculture under guidance of teh Church of Chauntea. One of the lessons I learned from a visiting monk from another church for a war god, was that logistics like roads, food, and shelter were just as important as proficiency with a spear. Take this opportunity to transform your town into somethign capable of weathering the coming storm." Maeve says.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:39 am

"That seems a solid strategy. I can talk to Constable Ruarc when he is free to arrange for his deputies to do some additional scouting. Our last intelligence said that the Goblin village was about 4 to 5 days trek deep within those woods. It would be good to know if they have decided to move closer or if this was an isolated group who was not affiliated with them or if there was some other cause."

The Plush Family:

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:34 pm

Oh Really, we had asked about a Goblin village before we left on our trek and absolutely everyone had no clue as to where the goblins may be located. When did you come by this intelligence? and why was this no shared with us? and what other "Intelligence" do you have?
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:20 pm

"Let me answer your question with a question. How do you think the people of this area would react if they knew for a fact that there was a village of goblins living only a few days outside of town?"

The Plush Family:

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Like they always do. Nothing. - Oh then Nine will protect us! I answered your question, please answer my questions.
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:00 pm

Darren will look to Quawff "Its ok Quawff, if there is a town there is no guarantee that they are responsible directly and a fair bit of likelihood they aren't unless heavily fortified which would have raised red flags long before now, but that wouldn't stop people from grabbing pitch forks and the like demanding retribution."

"One doesn't blame the next town over should some humans decide banditry is the life for them, they punish the bandits. The fact they have a town means they likely have some levels of civility and self sufficiency. Doesn't mean we don't look into it, and likely where the goblins came from but just as likely a radical faction, quite possibly adolescents as I would assume they would have been responsible for the thefts before hand."

Mardak will speak up looking to Maeve in his best Darren voice as he slip control from Darren momentarily "This may well mean when we deal with the outside influence as seems to be the case for the change in the goblins behavior, we might not need to remove all of the influenced goblins like had been assumed but have the town correct the behavior." Darren will agree internally but can't help feeling this might not be the best thing to say to her as he fears she will stubbornly latch on this this hope.

Performance on how well Mardak does his Darren
[dice]0[/dice]

Darren will than look back to the Mayor "Though that does beg the question if any emissaries have been sent and what they may have learned."

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:22 pm

What does it matter? It sounds like there are more goblins to kill and there's a few things I haven't tried out" Alrek says happily.
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:09 am

Mayor Niall looks at Darren "Exactly right my friend. We are farmers, tradesfolk and fishermen, not warriors. We have no militia, only a small constabulary to ensure we keep the peace and to settle disputes when they occur. If your neighbor were to tell you that one of his dogs may be rabid would you rely on the fence you have already built to keep the dog out, or would you insist that the dog be put down? Simple fear would dictate that most people would insist that the dog be put down. And I am not so bloodthirsty as to need to see them wiped out. They had been a nuisance at best to this point and it was best to let sleeping dogs lie. And as to why you weren't told, only 3 people knew of their village prior to the last couple minutes. None of which were people you talked to previously. And the best way to keep a secret is to tell no one. Now 7 people currently in town know and I trust to your discretion to not start a panic.
We have not had any previous dialogues with the goblins. If you desire to have one with them I wish you luck. However they may not be amenable to dialogue after you slaughter some of their kin..."

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:12 pm

"The goblins we encountered initiated conflict with us. And I did try to reason with them but I believe they didn't speak our tongues. I'm perfectly willing to attempt to envoy peace with this village, but I fear the language would be an issue. Any suggestions on how that might be resolved?" Maeve asks.
Jounville Blackferne

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Darren will put his left hand up to his face in disbelief with his right pull out his flask and taking a pull, more so as the info it got making him need a drink rather than just to stay in control. Putting his hand down and flask back as the says in a slow and clearly frustrated voice slowly walking up to the desk "So your telling me, that you've had a potential threat, this close to home, didn't bother to ensure peaceful intentions, or even to implement defenses against that treat. Leaving yourself wide open, and for all we know the goblin town may well be directly behind this attack without any needed third party as they decide the humans are ripe for the peaking." slapping his hands on the desk for the last part.

He will than pull out a copper coin presumable showing he is not of these lands "So where can we meet the constable because right now I am a coin flip away from washing my hands of this place, and if he can't improve that outlook." He won't say it verbally but show with body langue the threat he would be half a mind to walk right up to the goblins to ask if they want help Storming the castle.

Intimidation
[dice]0[/dice]

Before the Mayor can respond, presumable in shock to the sudden turn of events, Darren will turn around taking steps towards the door has he puts he left hand up to this face again comment "Tymora almighty, if the rest of these lands aren't in much better state, this returned hero to fight the darkness returning can't help question the sanity of getting involved with the coming conflict."

Darren will look to the group "I'm needing some fresh air to cool off don't bother getting me for a while unless it's to head to the Constable." taking another pull from his flask as he heads outside. He won't stop others from following but will insist on some distance so he can be alone for a bit.

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Quawff will also get up and leave. "I had a feeling this would be pointless"
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:52 am

Alric, Maeve, your reaction?

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:12 am

Maeve will watch them leave, then turn back to the Mayor. "Our priorities need to be first getting someone who can speak goblin to serve as a translator for us. Second getting the note translated, and finally heading to this secret goblin village to prevent any escalation. We need help from you on each of these measures. Your priorities after that need to be preparing people to get on war footing. Dark forces are approaching this realm per the nine and it would be foolish not to do whatever can be done to prepare to weather the storm. Are we in agreement on these point your Honor?"
Jounville Blackferne

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Alrek will watch them leave then look to Maeve and stays until she leaves.
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:01 am

While Maeve is speaking Mayor Niall stares at the backs then the door where Daren and Quawff just left. After you pause after a couple seconds he orients back on you...

"What? Oh yes, of course you are right we must make preparations. If The Nine say that there are dark times ahead then those times are certain to come. What is it you said you needed of me?"

MEanwhile outside what are Quawff and Daren doing?

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:40 pm

When Darren gets outside will take one more swig from the flask, let Quawff know he needs a bit of space or can't be held responsible for any actions, and will lean up against a wall where he can see the door the rest will come out of flipping the coin he had pulled out in his hand catching it as a sign he is still likely that coin toss away from walking away from this town.

Image [OOC the irony is not lost on me.]

For any observing it will seem he is having a conversation with himself as is the case as Mardak isn't ok with just walking away but will coincide the real possibility that the goblin town has decided the area is rip for the picking since the humans have shown themselves weak and just asking to be attacked. Darren will however feel a touch conflicted as a war orphan on the town seemingly drunk of the peace the Heros presumably paid for but at the same time not wanting needles warring.

He will smile for a moment as he watches the coin flip in the air at the thought of flipping to see if he strangles Xur if he is the one the Nine has come retrieve them or check up on them.