Orus chapter 1: Strangers in a strange land

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Re: Orus chapter 1: Strangers in a strange land

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:06 pm

Maeve waves her hands in a 'calm don' manner. "If we are meant to be engaging goblins, I would ask that we attempt peaceful compromise first. The harvest is largest when everyone helps as my dad used to say. No sense jumping to violence."
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:02 am

Quawff smiles Excellent idea. I think Wacko over there should be chief negotiator, you, Dot can translate for him. Myself and Yacko will be moral support.
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:30 pm

"I note the sarcasm, but think we should try peaceful resolution first. In my experience a well placed word can do more than a well placed sword." Maeve says.
Jounville Blackferne

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Mardak will perk up a bit in his corner "I don't know if the goblins will be willing to come to a peaceful solution but I'm willing to try."

Tilting his head slight to the right like someone was speaking loudly in his left ear. "Daren thinks this a doomed to fail but thinks it will be entertaining to watch at least."

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Quawff says. "Lets not assume anything about goblins just yet. Xur, we are here in the secret meeting, what is the plan for us. And why and who are we hiding from? We were doing some extensive training prior to evac, will we be going to do more of that?"
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

"Well, your training and education were to be Teringal's responsibility, with him no longer in the picture the plans he had for you are no longer valid. For the moment I'm going to take advantage of this situation and appoint you all as the representatives of the Nine to deal with the goblin crisis here. While you deal with that the Nine will be busy determining what happened to Teringal, who and what those things are that attacked Greystone Keep and what to do about them."
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Mardak can't help yawning a bit, though mid yawn appears to get another earful "Ah, Daren wants assurances there will be compensation or payment for helping, whether peaceful or not."

"Also how will sleeping arrangements be made, with the town so full inns are likely to be rather packed at this point, and will we be expected to pay for it or as representatives of the nine will that be handled for us." after a short pause to his left in a somewhat mater of fact tone "It would be perfectly logical for them to reduce the payment due, should they handle our accommodations."

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:38 pm

"From my experience the job itself turns out to be all the compensation one needs and more. However as you are all new here and as you pointed out, it is a bit crowded in town I believe the Nine can afford to part with some coin to ensure you are able to sustain yourselves here until my return."

Xur will open a small bag he was carrying, reach into it and withdraw a smaller pouch that clinks when he moves it.

"I believe this should keep you in good stead until I return. Why don't you hold onto this Maeve." And Xur will offer the pouch to Maeve.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:01 pm

Maeve opens the pouch and starts to count the coinage.
"What do they call the money here? Galleons, sickles, knuts?" She asks as she starts sorting by type.
Jounville Blackferne

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:28 am

"I don't know about you lot, but I am looking forward to a good night's sleep and the chance that I'll wake up somewhere else"
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:54 am

"We are simple folk, money is called by the type of coin it is. So a coin made of gold would be a gold piece. Copper is the lowest form of currency, 10 copper is equal to 1 silver piece, 10 silver is equal to 1 gold, 10 gold is equal to 1 platinum. I'm not sure how long exactly I'll be gone, but I am entrusting you to deal with this crisis and to have it resolved by the time I return."

The pouch has 45 gold pieces and 50 silver pieces in it.

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:27 am

"Darren asks if we will have anything to show we are agents of the nine or are we to just help out and hope people are cooperative for information as well as should aspects of peace start to prove fruitful requiring bargains to be struck."

After paling slightly and showing he doesn't want the item in his possesion should they be getting it "Obviously to be in the care of Maeve or one of the other gentlemen." leaving little to the imagination that Daren showed interest in abusing the tokens power.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:17 pm

"One more quick question regarding the money before we move on. What should I expect to be a fair price for a bushel of wheat, a simple meal at an inn, a room for the night, and a horse? I'm just trying to understand comparative value of goods to money. Also Mardak makes a good point regarding how to present ourselves on the nine's (she rolls her eyes slightly) behalf. I don't want to throw around association if not authorized to do so." Maeve says placing the sorted money back into the pouch provided and placing it safe upon her person.

[ooc Maeve is just trying to make sure she isn't loose with coin due to not knowing expected transactional costs since she is from a different economic area. Her wisdom would be high enough that she knows tehre are things she doesn't know. I assume the PHB prices would be standard expectation but I'm just going through the mundane details one would expect from an agricultural bureaucrat in training]
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:23 pm

"You will find that the prices here are equivalent to where you came from. Although you might find some inflation here right now because of the invasion situation. When I leave town I will speak with the mayor and town constable to ensure they are aware of your affiliation. Do you have any other additional questions right now?"

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:08 pm

"I've got no other questions at the moment." Maeve says.
Jounville Blackferne

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:58 pm

Ok. So let get our rooms and call it a night. Meet here for breakfast in the morning. says Quawff.
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:23 pm

"I would suggest we double or triple up if possible to reduce room costs." Maeve says.
Jounville Blackferne

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:50 pm

You can sleep with whom ever you like. I am sleeping in my own room, behind a locked door.
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Mardak will look to Quawff "Some of that could be determined by what is available." Looking to the whole group. "I don't mind rooming up with others but I will understand if there is no one that wishes to room with me."

He will then settle on Maeve "Won't mind sleeping in the barn or animal pen if necessary, won't be the first time I've had to sleep on the street but since this area is new not sure how cold its getting now so a roof would be appreciated."

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:42 pm

@Qwaff "Given the over crowding of the town, we may not be in a position to secure multiple rooms." Maeve says then turns to Mardak "I trust you can control yourself, and know that should some unpleasantness transpire, I do have a history with livestock control which I'm sure I can adapt to our current company." She smiles a self satisfied smile.
Jounville Blackferne

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:54 pm

"Come now, is this really the time for arguing about sleeping arrangements? Alrek says, taking a moment to look at each of them in turn. "Let's at least see what's availabe first, like my dad always used to say, 'look before you leap'!
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:36 pm

"Xur have you made accommodations for us? If not, would please be so kind as to take care of it through your connections here or in the city"

"Thank you"
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:36 pm

@Alrek "Planning is important. If you don't plant the right seeds your harvest will suffer. And we have no idea how long this money Xur gave us is expected to last. If we spend too much now, we may be left wanting later. It is like the parable about the ant and the grasshopper if you happen to know that one." Maeve says gently scolding in tone.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:33 pm

@Qwuaff "I have not made arrangements for you. I do not think the mayor would have space in his home for you. I could however talk to the constable about somewhere for you to stay, however you would probably have to share and I don't think the arrangements or company would be much to your liking."

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:25 pm

"Let us ask this inn first, " will look to Zur "may ask you wait to leave before we try here first. If there are rooms here no worries, if not regardless of the enjoyment they may be the only option we really have."

Mardak will than shuffle his way towards the group and presuming the group heads to get rooms will follow behind but he will not want to be the one leading the group.