Orus chapter 1: Strangers in a strange land

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Re: Orus chapter 1: Strangers in a strange land

Post by Blackferne » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:37 pm

"Blessings be upon you ma'am." Maeve says with a smile. "While we wait, maybe you could tell us a story of the history of the town perhaps?" Maeve asks like she is Heromine Granger asking for extra homework.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Alrek rolls his eyes as he looks for a place to sit or lean while he waits.
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:28 am

Quawff says nothing, smiles and nods.
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:41 pm

@Darren - you see a little glitter in her eye as she notices your attempts to not stare. The room isn't overly lavish, it appears mostly functional, however there is a nice tapestry on the wall depicting some fishermen at work. You could fetch some nice coin you believe with the right buyer. Additionally you do notice what appear to be some scuff marks made by the chair the woman is sitting in which would be consistent with the chair being moved to allow someone to get up from the desk and return.

@Maeve - "Now missy, that's not my duty and I'm very busy here. Now please wait quietly until the Mayor is ready for you." She says primly

@Alrek - There are 2 chairs along one wall you could wait in if you so choose.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:04 am

Alrek will have a seat, take out his dagger and start carving a pattern of lines in his quarterstaff as he stares off into space.
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:58 am

@Alrek - as you start to play with your staff the woman looks up at you and gives you a stare that you're pretty sure should have frozen you to death in a nano-second. "If you get wood shavings on my floor, troubleshooter for The Nine or not I'll have you here cleaning this house top to bottom. Do I make myself clear young man?"
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:29 pm

Darren will stifle a shudder when he sees the glint and wishes he could switch with Mardak now, when he sits down will give a slight nod of approve that the mayor doesn't seem to be unwarrantedly wealthy so far.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Rebuffed, Maeve takes a seat and discretely pouts.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:24 am

Who's lap are you sitting in?

There were 2 chairs mentioned above and Alrek and Darren claimed them prior to you...

The Plush Family:

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:06 pm

Alrek, slightly cowed will put his dagger away, taking care to not leave any scraps of wood.
Spoiler:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:48 pm

I revise my answer I stand near the wall discretely pouting having been rebuffed.
Jounville Blackferne

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:15 pm

When Daren sees that Maeve is pouting against the wall will give a slight chuckle as he is somewhat glad to not have to listen to what he would assume to be capable of being a rathaer long and tedious story in the right hands, will gesture to offer his seat.

Should she accept when he switches places with her will comment just load enough for her to hear though not trying to keep it a secret. "Don't worry, I'm sure we'll meet someone who will be more than willing to gab your ear off and than some on that." and will bring up his right hand as if to pat her on the shoulder but back out at the last moment in a lose fist and tries though knows fails to not look foolish not committing to the original intended action.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Seeing Daren offer the seat Maeve shakes her head like 'its fine. I'm fine. We're all fine.'
Jounville Blackferne

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Darren will nod in 'Okay' staying seated, though will mention about the ear off conversation to Maeve when they head to the mayor when told he is ready to meet them.

[OOC unless an event of note occurs assuming we are ready to jump ahead to when the mayor is ready to meet them at this point.]

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:14 am

Blackferne wrote:Seeing Daren offer the seat Maeve shakes her head like 'its fine. I'm fine. We're all fine.'
[ooc: Is that the "We're fine, we're all fine here now. How are you?" head shake? /ooc]

After waiting about 10 minutes with no warning the woman stands up and begins walking to one of the doors that leads off of this room. She stops at the door and with a look that takes you all in says "Mayor Niall will see you now."

She opens the door and gestures for all of you to go through the door into a medium sized room which is clearly an office. Seated behind the desk on the far side of the room is who you assume is the mayor. Your first impression of the mayor is that you don't think you should breathe too hard or he might just blow away. He's below average height and to call him a wisp of a man would probably almost be calling him fat. You assume he is fairly old as well judging by his white, almost translucent hair. And while it doesn't look like he's unnaturally thin due to hunger or anything, he is legitimately looks almost like a stick figure he is so thin.

As you file into the room the mayor turns his attention toward the door, "Ahhhh Amys my darling, who have you brought to me this fine morning?"
Amys responds "These are the troubleshooters The Nine sent. I believe they have a report for you on their progress."
The mayor replies "Of course, of course! Please gentlemen, lady, by all means have a seat! Would you like a spot of tea or other refreshments?"

There are a number of chairs along the wall and a couple on your side of the desk as well that you may be seated in.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:25 pm

[ooc who wants to report?]

Maeve will sit in a chair near the opposite side of the desk if available. If chosen to report she will stand while giving the report.
Jounville Blackferne

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:44 am

Quwaff will follow Maeve's lead but sit in one of the chairs along the wall but close to our side of the desk
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:45 am

[ooc Last one standing gives report]
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:04 pm

Daren will be a bit befuddled when he sees the interactions between Mayor Niall and Amys and can't help wondering who may be really running the show as he is unsure why they had to wait as well as why Niall didn't know they where the Nine's representatives when they had entered. He can't help feeling a little irritated that he has had two such events already this early in the day and be thinking to himself that's two strikes, three and I'm outta here.

His only hope is the constable being absent which he will want to confirm quickly, he will say to both with a smile on his face giving a slight bow to conceal his concerns. "Before we get started will the Constable be arriving shortly? No sense starting to give our report if we will have to restart over when he arrives." at that last part will be looking to Amys with a look of unless you are also the Constable?

Bluff if necessary [OOC I know Deception but that's a stronger word than I'm trying to do here.]
[dice]0[/dice]

It will be at that inopportune time that Mardak will awaken for the last part and let slip past Daren out load "Her?.. shhh." and will smile like that didn't happen.

Diplomacy if necessary
[dice]1[/dice]
[OOC I have no idea what replaced Diplomacy so Performance +2, Persuasion +4, or if one of the others let me know and I can say what the skill modifier for that is.

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:53 pm

Alrek will sit next to Maeve and sort of elbow her and gesture for her to speak.

[ooc - I didn't take notes last time, I just remember barely making it out of there
Spoiler:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:48 pm

"Yes the constable, is he coming?" Maeve asks following Darren's question and Alrek's nudging. She stands.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:51 am

The mayor glances at Amys quickly who gives a very slight shake of her head.

"Sorry no, unfortunately he has other duties that are keeping him from this meeting. By your return then I am to assume that the goblin threat has been dealt with?"

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Darren will look to all of the group before starting with a look of do we mention that we are the descendants of the Heros that left and the seeming return of the Darkness but won't mention it himself. "The ones we came across but we did find a document, which to me likely means that that there is a third party that has had a hand in causing this change in the goblins behavior."

Darren will indicate to hand over the document found and look to Maeve giving her the option to give a more official telling of their escapades if she doesn't will give a general telling of the events.

After the telling will add "We will want the document translated, following up where that leads us and likely want to head back where we encountered the goblins to follow the trail we didn't go down to ensure all the goblins in the area are removed as I doubt any goblins that have changed tactics are unlikely to go back to how things used to be."

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:56 pm

At the point in Staris's post where he allows Maeve to produce the document she will do so and in general terms talk about where they went, describing the farms they investigated, the cave, and the battle that ensued.

Pause allow Darren's ending comment on how the goblins haven't likely changed tactics, and the desire to go investigate the second path.

Then she will add

"I think it is also important for this village to take certain steps to improve itself to better weather the coming storm. The nine assembled us because they see a new threat emerging. The goblins may just be the first signs of greater unrest ahead. I have several suggestions which I can present to you which would improve not only the readiness of this village and surrounding lands, but if properly implemented improve crop production and economic activity, which in turn might provide the tax base to afford certain security protections against future threats. But first we need to know if anyone in this town or that you know of can translate this paper we recovered from the goblin cave."

Persuasion roll (+3)on the need to take advice regarding the civic improvements and the urgency of getting the parchment translated.

[dice]0[/dice]
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:48 am

The mayor listens quietly and attentively to your tale. At the end he looks quite flustered...

"Oh my, none of this will do at all. Not at all. What ever will the people say..."

He takes just a moment to collect himself

"You said you had a parchment, may I look at it a moment?"

The Plush Family: