Alt D&D campaign while Joun takes a break

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Furiel
Cardinal
Alt D&D campaign while Joun takes a break

Post by Furiel » Thu May 26, 2016 12:20 am

It seems that Joun's campaign has stalled a bit for various reasons and I have offered to pick up the reigns and run something for a while. Details on the campaign are going to be sketchy by design as I intend to start things off with a bang and a huge twist. As such all I'm looking for from people who would be committing to the game to start would be a race, class, name, and some barebones background of who they were as a kid.

You can discuss in group some if you want, but at the start I wasn't planning on having any of you know each other, but trust me, the group bonding would happen pretty quick I think with what I have in mind. We'd be playing 5th edition rules, no inherently evil races are available and I'd prefer no evil alignments as well. At least to start. I have always believed that alignment is fluid and your choices guide it anyway, but as a starting point, no evil.

Ideally we'd kick off the campaign with a live session then we could transfer to the forums and have live sessions as opportunities present. I just feel that a live session would better convey how things would start. Let me know below if you are interested and if we get 4 or more I'll figure it's a go.

Interested:
Joun
Staris
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Re: Alt D&D campaign while Joun takes a break

Post by Blackferne » Thu May 26, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm toying with class/race combos at the moment.

I'm thinking either human female cleric (god undetermined), rock male gnome wizard or thief, or male elven fighter. I'm flexible based on party needs.

Flushed it out a little:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jK4 ... sp=sharing
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Fri May 27, 2016 12:41 am

I am interested in joining.

Character Concept.
Race: Dwarf
Class: Paladin
God: <Name tba (maybe Tony)>, God of Personal Success :shifty:
Name: Quawff

Maizan.
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Sat May 28, 2016 4:17 pm

I'm interested

half-elf male sorcerer Alrek
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds
Between 6-10 squares of Syric: +1 Diplomacy

HP 63 / AC 23 / FORT 20 / REF 18 / WILL 21

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Sat May 28, 2016 5:20 pm

I was thinking and instead of having to start with a live session we could start with some short 1-1 sessions with each character to set the table and get the group co-located.

We have 4 showing interest now so I'm considering this a go. I'd like to start in the next week or so so if we can either get those character origin sessions setup over the coming week that'd be great. I expect that the initial setup sessions for each character would only take 30 minutes, an hour tops to get acclimated to the world and a basic understanding of where you are, what is happening and why.

Currently I'm doing world-building while munchkin is playing in playland, and I honestly can't wait to unleash my creation on you guys.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Sun May 29, 2016 2:02 am

In-between a male human Cleric and a male half elf thief so say Joun gets first pick since he specified first.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sun May 29, 2016 2:26 am

I'll do cleric Staris unless you have a neat quirk to it that you are dying to try out.
Jounville Blackferne

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Mon May 30, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm pretty sure I can do the quirk for both. I think the interaction between both of us as clerics would be more interesting but I'm sure it could work for both. I might go ahead and build a cleric as well as my thief to see if I can build a second one so that doesn't hamper the group for DPS and such.

Though unless stated other assume I'm going thief at this point. Though will probably run both by Furiel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon May 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Funny thing about 5e, DPS isn't all it's cracked up to be. Personally I always thought that they did a good job of balancing tank/heal/DPS needs such that you could be viable if you had all healers or none. It may change the group approach to combat depending on the opposition, but there are many encounters where you can basically win by attrition and outhealing the damage.

That said I'm not advocating anyone to play any particular class. The campaign world is very...accepting we'll call it...of whatever the group composition may be.

Group makeup as I current understand it...
Maizan - Paladin, name and deity TBD
Whiteness - Sorcerer
Joun - Cleric
Staris - Cleric or Thief

Also just for the record, I will kill people. Not on purpose per say, I'll be using the dice mod for all rolls, but I won't be going out of my way to save anyone either. The last time I ran a D&D campaign I killed a player in the first 3 rounds of combat in the first session. Granted it was his own fault for charging ahead of the group and letting himself get swarmed, but I want you all to be fore-warned, my enemies aren't going to be stupid. They will act in accordance with their racial intelligence and society. Meaning say you are in a dungeon and Maizan is on point, if he walks into a room with 8 goblins in it well those 8 goblins on the first turn of combat are going to swarm Maizan. None of this 8vs4 so we pair them off 2, 2, 2 and 2. In real life they wouldn't do that, so in my game they won't be doing that either. If you do die, it's 5e so there are always options of having you brought back, if you can afford it. Or there will always be ways to bring new characters and/or players in while we're going.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue May 31, 2016 12:21 pm

I don't find killing players to be that damaging to the prospect of character advancement. :shifty:
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue May 31, 2016 5:43 pm

Should we draw up character sheets using the stock rules in 5e or are there parameters we should stay within?
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue May 31, 2016 9:35 pm

You can start making your characters if you want. I'll give you guys 2 choices for how to do stats...you can do point buy or alternatively you can let me roll up 1 set of stats and everyone has to use them.

And I'd like to start scheduling with people either the individual startup sessions (which would be 30-45 minutes per person done via IM or through roll20) or the group starting session. I have some time early tomorrow evening, from about 6-8 central, Thursday from about 8:30 to 11pm and the weekend is currently mostly open as well. Most likely I'll be busy Sat night, but that might be about it.

Let me know what people are thinking for startup and when we can do session 1.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue May 31, 2016 10:12 pm

I think I prefer stat buy.

Also I'll be free to do a intro 30 min thing thursday withing your window or over the weekend. (Friday and Saturday night are out though). Otherwise just let me know.
Jounville Blackferne

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:35 am

I'm all right with stat buy and I think Thursday works fine, maybe towards the later part of the evening.

Also, with death around every corner, how do you see the level progression going? Will it be a long duration in between them?

Also, also, since you specified "background of who they were as a kid" did you want the character ages to be under a certain age? I wasn't sure after looking at the ages on Joun's characters.

Also, also, also, are there any other assumptions for the builds or are they just level 1 characters straight out of the 5e PHB + errata with starting items and money as dictated by class and background?
Spoiler:
Within 5 squares of Syric: +1 to Healing surges, +3 Diplomacy, +2 Intimidate, +2 Speed on surprise and 1st regular rounds

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Stat buy it is then.

I'll setup the game on Roll20 and add a link to the game tomorrow evening, starting around 9pm central. Everyone who can make it we'll do character lead into the game with and then I can do 1-1 with anyone who can't make it so we can get rolling.

Under a certain age...yes and no. I want the characters to be inexperienced, not having started their adventuring career. This could manifest itself in many ways, anything from just having come of age to having lived in a rural area and while you've always wanted to leave your uncle won't let you and you promised to stay and help with the harvest, but now with the 2 new hands your uncle hired you want to leave for the academy a season early to you're 30 years old and still live with your family helping your family with their farm. Like Whitey, what you sent me for your background works, and with you I plan to literally pick up from the second that what you wrote ended.

No assumptions for builds outside of 5e and errata. Anything from the errata please let me know and give me a link because I haven't gone through it. Starting items/gear would basically be given your characters background per the above, what would be appropriate within reason. I wouldn't worry too much about the gear though really. Considering the above for the point that you are starting out at in your characters lives expect that much will be given. Of course to those who are given much, much is expected... :shifty:

Just for the hell of it though...
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]

Looks like you sacrificed stat rolls of 16, 15, 14, 12, 12, 12 for stat buy.

The Plush Family:

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 pm

May I take your rolls instead of stats buy? (Not a fan of stats buy). Please. If not, no worries.

I will be available Thursday evening for the roll20 session.

I always thought death was around the corner. I am a firm believer in consequences for your actions. (In life too)

Quawff
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:56 pm

Can you use my rolls...no. Everyone uses point by since the first 2 votes came in for it. And it doesn't subject people to the variants of good/poor dice rolls.

You, and everyone else, can however have 36 points with which to buy stats using the following chart.
8-0
9-1
10-2
11-3
12-4
13-5
14-6
15-8
16-10
17-13
18-16

4 person game at least to start so I figure a few extra stat points won't be gamebreaking. However I am forbidding anyone from having more than 1 stat at 17 or higher BEFORE racial mods are applied.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:38 am

My Character Sheet. Furiel please review and let me know if I've made any errors in accordance with your setup.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4WEg ... TI3d1QzN2M
Jounville Blackferne

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:15 pm

My stats numbers were 14,12,12,8,14,18.

My Character Sheet for your review and adjustments....

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B ... file%2cpdf

See you on roll20 at 9c tonight.

Maizan
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:27 pm

For everyone's preparation purposes, with the exception of Whitey as I know exactly where things are going to pick up with him. Think about what a normal day for your character would be. What would you be doing on a typical day, what routines do you have, where would you be, what would you be doing?

There will be a test later... :twisted:

The Plush Family:

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:40 pm

Campaign link for tonight: https://app.roll20.net/join/1446740/KayVCw

I plan to have the game room open around 8:30ish. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out why my webcam isn't working between now and then as well...

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Sorry about missing last night thought I was going to make it but didn't realize when my grandmother came down last weekend to visit that she would be staying as long as she has so had far less time than I thought I would have to build my character sheet as well as wasted a fair bit of time trying to get an updated forged anvil documents to work, I am going with my Cleric but will probably go ahead and dive right into creating my rouge this weekend so I have a backup sheet should the unfortunate occur.

By the time I was done with my sheet I was not in the right mind set to play, though in hind sight probably in line with my characters alter ego. Regardless I should be available around 8pm Furiel though should be fairly open for the rest of the weekend if your unavailable than. Will include a link to my character sheet when I get home.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:34 pm

I had a lot of fun. Good work Furiel I look forward to continuing.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:58 pm

I don't have any plans for tonight currently so I can definitely get you worked in tonight at 8.

As such I'll get the thread started for the ongoing campaign tonight after I have Staris caught up.

The Plush Family:

Whiteness
Priest

Post by Whiteness » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:04 pm

Blackferne wrote:I had a lot of fun. Good work Furiel I look forward to continuing.
This.

I'll get my character sheet up soon, I was having formatting issues and spell decision issues.

Also, is it too late to switch one of my languages from dwarven to Celestial? :shifty:
Spoiler: