Crits and Botches

Grab your 20 sided die and players handbook. A forum dedicated to forum based games. D&D, classic board games, or even games of your own design.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Crits and Botches

Post by Blackferne » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Okay since we are looking at some combat fun for the next little while here is a breakdown of crist and botches.

If on an attack roll you roll a 20 it is an automatic hit and the dmg escalates.
On a percentile die
1-75%=Max normal damage. So if you are like 1d8+5 you did 13 dmg.
76-95%= Double max damage so that 1d8+5 now is 26 dmg.
96%+ is Triple max damage so that 1d8+5 is now 39 dmg.

If you are using the forum die roller specify a tens digit and a ones digit and roll two 10 sided dies. 10=0 and 10,10=100.
If you aren't using the forum die roller, I'll do it for you.

To keep the same percentiles relevant the botch table (a 1 on an attack roll) is very similar.
1-75%=miss. Your spell or fancy sword move was just wasted energy. Also you looked like an idiot.
76%-95%= Self inflicted harm. The dmg you rolled is on you. Your fancy sword move stabbed your leg. That spell ricocheted off the wall somehow and hit you in the back.
96%+ is double damage roll.

So you can see there is some chance for awesome hits and awesome misses. This breakdown is statistically more offensively favored since the dmg output for 20s is max times a factor, while the 1s are miss, a rolled damage (which generally won't be max) or double that rolled damage.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Furiel
Cardinal

Re: Crits and Botches

Post by Furiel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:36 am

So here is the one thing that concerns me about this...it's that statistically speaking crits favor the bad guys. PCs absorb alot more attacks than they perform, so over the life of the game it's MUCH more likely that a PC is going to get one-shotted than a bad guy. And yes, I've had combat's where 1 lucky crit saved a TPK, but I've also seen what should be an easy combat turn into a near TPK because of a luck crit as well.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:56 am

No the mobs do not get the crits or botch at all. So a 20 by a mob still roles for dmg.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:15 am

I always like the crit on area of effects. The blast radius is also increased. So that strategically place fireball takes out a party member or two. :)

Sent from my Windows8 phone using Tapatalk
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:17 am

I think my dog just critted his fart....
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel