Ahoy, Church of Alvis

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Skiggity
Bishop
Ahoy, Church of Alvis

Post by Skiggity » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 am

Greetings! The fine folks over at Archaic pointed me in the direction of the Church of Alvis after I filled out their thorough application form only to be informed that they're an Empire guild, and my character is a Sage, and I'm an idiot. Armed with this knowledge, I come staggering into the church looking for... well, a guild, actually.

I'm new to SWTOR, and MMO's in general. I'm a fairly new dad, so my gaming tends to come in the evenings after the little one is asleep. And I didn't need to use Google to know what the Church of Alvis is; I saw that episode the first time it aired :)

I started SWTOR two weeks ago, and I've got a going-on-level-22 Sage. I've been gaming since the days of the Odyssey2 and Apple IIc, nevermind Atari, Nintendo and so on. I love performance cars and racing in general, I autocross an Integra Type R when time allows, and in the past I've road raced a variety of cars. I built my own rig (well, Intel, eVGA and Nvidia did the hard parts, but I put 'em together in the right order) and it crushes SWTOR at 1920x1200.

I'm looking for a group to game with, as SWTOR is obviously set up to be more enjoyable with friends. I'm digging the solo aspect just fine, but it's just not very Massively Multiplayer if you don't interact, is it? And I'm paying good 'Merican dollars for the privileged, so I might as well get in on the Massiveness. I'll look around for any Alvanians in game and say hey, please don't be alarmed and disintegrate my character in retaliation. He just got new boots.

My question for you: Do you want the mustache on or off?
-Skiggity
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Skiggity
Bishop

Re: Ahoy, Church of Alvis

Post by Skiggity » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 am

Oh, almost forgot my favorite gaming moment.

Back in the late 1990s, when I was in college, our dorm got a T1 line around the same time that the first Quake came out. I was the lowest of the low-ping bastards. theserver I played on most was based in Minnesota or something (I was in Virginia) and I still had a sub-20 ping, it was sublime in an era where half of the server would be dial-up in the 200ms ping range.

This server, run by a clan named Squall, had tryouts one day, and my roommate and I decided to give it a go. The test was simple: on a mirror map with small castles on each side and six of the clan's best members defending, try to score a solo capture as the offense.

It was actually a pretty good test, with a Kobayashi Maru twist: they never meant it to be beaten, the clan members figured that six-against-one was pretty difficult odds. It would show how tenacious a player could be, and whether or not they'd crack and turn into an internet dickwad when faced with defeat.

My first few attempts to storm the castle were met with pain and gibs, but I managed to score the Damage Rune (a 2x damage multiplier) from one of the clan members in the early going. I timed the next run, scoring some heavy armor and the Quad Damage just before grappling into the defended castle. With each shot scoring 8x damage thanks to the rune and the quad, I tore through the first four clanmembers with adrenaline and well-placed rockets.

The last two were defending the flag, but I squirted in and out of the flag room on the grappling chain and threw whatever I could behind me. I made it to the capture with single-digit health, but I was informed I'd scored the only point in the history of the test, which was damned rewarding.

In hindsight I could probably have been hitting on girls...
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:56 am

Tagged and or bagged. :shifty:
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:12 am

Thanks for the hospitality, guys, I look forward to spreading the word of Alvis and shooting nonbelievers right in the friggin' face.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Reese
Priest

Ahoy, Church of Alvis

Post by Reese » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:11 am

This guy. I like this guy. He seems nifty.

Sent from my JesusPad using Tapatakanudo
This... I Command!

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:03 am

BTW, can't have Moustache rides with no moustache!

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:44 pm

He's violated my "I don't read more than 5 sentences of anything" rule. Someone summarize for me.

Also of note: Reese approval is generally a bad thing.

Also of other note: Bacon.
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Dood wrote:He's violated my "I don't read more than 5 sentences of anything" rule. Someone summarize for me.

NotE: In the Rakghoul thread he posted a screen cap from Naked Gun 2 and a half (iirc) so take that as you will.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Dood wrote:He's violated my "I don't read more than 5 sentences of anything" rule. Someone summarize for me.

NotE: In the Rakghoul thread he posted a screen cap from Naked Gun 2 and a half (iirc) so take that as you will.
That is from the ORIGINAL Naked Gun you slippery slacked slapwhippel. How the fuck did YOU become Archbishop?

I move for a vote of no confidence in Cuspar.

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Dood wrote: I move for a vote of no confidence in Cuspar.
I 2nd the nomination. Everyone in favor of Cuspar continuing to not be out archbishop, please signify with a raised hand.

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:20 pm

/raiseErection

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Another vote to keep Cuspar away from being Archbishop. Also in favor of Bacon and Bacon Accessories.
Last edited by Reese on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This... I Command!

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Reese wrote:Image

Another vote to keep Cuspar away from being Archbishop. Also in favor of Bacon and Bacon Accessories.
Your image is broken (Photobucket image exceeds bandwidth).
Jounville Blackferne

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Do you bake pie?

I ask because, quite frankly, I want pie.

Welcome aboard!!!
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:05 am

No, but our yearly holiday party is a pie party, and people are required to bring pie, be it desert, dinner or whimsical. So as far as I know, pie comes not from this baking you describe, but from other humans just once a year.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:32 pm

We can make the yearly pie party on March 14th and we all eat pie at 1:59am (or pm for those who need to sleep). March 14th is International Pi day.

Maizan
- (2 + 3) is 6 right?
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Gotta wait till 2015 to do it right. 3.14.15
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 am

Skiggity wrote:Gotta wait till 2015 to do it right. 3.14.15
at 9:26 AM?

...but really, where is my pie

:cheers:
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Veela
Deacon