Alts: Woe is Me

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Durai
Altarsquid
Alts: Woe is Me

Post by Durai » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Hello everyone!

As some of you may know, I'm a Vanguard. I also have a Sent that I shelved, originally my main, it's not even in the Church. Half the Republic classes down.

I was thinking last night during a round of Huttball (most likely why I lost) about what to do next. Of course, my Vanguard is my main and I love him (In a completely consenual way). But most of us have alts, whether for a change in playstyle, already got to lv50, whatever. My Vanguard is still my main focus, but...

I want to make a healer. I was thinking about making a Sage. I love the thought of being a healer with a red lightsaber. So I made one a few nights ago. I immediately deleted my first one because the male voice acting sucked so much ass.

I made a female Consular and it's not much better.

Does it ever get better, or is Smuggler the way to go? I also heard the Consular story sucks in general, which is another detractor, but I don't want to do non-Force classes back to back with Vanguard/Scoundrel.

What can I do?

Furiel
Cardinal

Re: Alts: Woe is Me

Post by Furiel » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Is it the actual voice acting that you don't like, or the responses and story as written? This is a subtle, but important difference.

If it's just the voice you can always go old school MMO and mute the sound and turn on subtitles so you still get all the story, but don't have to deal with the voice acting.

If it's the story then your choices are suck it up, roll a scoundrel or redo the whole trooper story with a combat medic.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Durai
Altarsquid

Post by Durai » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Furiel wrote:Is it the actual voice acting that you don't like, or the responses and story as written? This is a subtle, but important difference.

If it's just the voice you can always go old school MMO and mute the sound and turn on subtitles so you still get all the story, but don't have to deal with the voice acting.

If it's the story then your choices are suck it up, roll a scoundrel or redo the whole trooper story with a combat medic.
I think it's all of it, honestly. The story, the dialogue, and the acting.

I'm thinking the Scoundrel might be the best route on this one. I'll give it a shot sometime in the next few days, when I have a free moment. Gotta do some research on the class and story in general.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Durai wrote:
Furiel wrote:Is it the actual voice acting that you don't like, or the responses and story as written? This is a subtle, but important difference.

I think it's all of it, honestly. The story, the dialogue, and the acting.

I'm thinking the Scoundrel might be the best route on this one. I'll give it a shot sometime in the next few days, when I have a free moment. Gotta do some research on the class and story in general.
My scoundrel is only level 13, but I have a gunslinger at 19 that I've played all the way through Coruscant and I can tell you a few things right away...
The smuggler really does get some of the best lines in the game.
I have enjoyed the story thus far.
Killing people by shooting them in the back of their head with a blaster shotgun is REALLY fun.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey now, the male voice actor is Nolan North, voice of Nathan Drake, and pretty much in every game out right now.

Durai
Altarsquid

Post by Durai » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Dashl wrote:Hey now, the male voice actor is Nolan North, voice of Nathan Drake, and pretty much in every game out right now.
For what class? Consular or Smuggler?

North is good, and so is Hayter (male Knight and Solid Snake), but Hayter did a bad job at voicing the Knight. Just because someone is known for other good work doesn't mean they did a good job here. Everyone makes a clunker now and then.

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:46 pm

My main, and only, character is a Scoundrel Smuggler (30). The story is fun, the responses are AMAZING, the VO is perfect. If you don't mind a bit of that 'errand boy' feel, go Smuggler. It's a blast...no pun intended.
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:38 pm

North is the voice for the Male Consular.

Leth
Priest

Post by Leth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 pm

I deleted all my alts. I just could not concentrate on my main. I am an altoholic.

Also I want to have one of each class so my empire alts have to be the opposite of my republic alts.
The Deacon of DPS

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:16 pm

I have a consular alt sitting in the starting room on Tython - I'm not sure I'll ever do anything with him.

I LOOOOOVE my vanguard. It fits my play style perfectly. I think the only other class I'd really like would be a DPS commando, but why see the same story again?!
Cuspar

Durai
Altarsquid

Post by Durai » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Cuspar wrote:I have a consular alt sitting in the starting room on Tython - I'm not sure I'll ever do anything with him.

I LOOOOOVE my vanguard. It fits my play style perfectly. I think the only other class I'd really like would be a DPS commando, but why see the same story again?!
I have to be honest, Cuspar, I was in the exact same boat as you. I know the Trooper, I like it, I like the characters, the companions, the story, everything. I especially love how I don't need to gear companions; they get outfitted with hand-me-downs. I don't need to go diving into the bargain bin for Heavy Armor for Corso Riggs, everyone of the Trooper companions needs the same armor (save for M1-4X). The only thing that prevented me from making a Commando Medic was the same thing as yourself: The same exact story.

Well, I began a Smuggler last night. Level.. 6 I think? Balbanes. He's in the guild. I'm wondering when someone will begin sensing a theme with my toon names.

I'm liking the snarky remarks so far, and my characters attitude. So the story part seems to be set.

The cover mechanic? The game seems slow to recognize cover. I'll begin by throwing a Thermal Grenade (I haven't actually moved my character) and then cover will pop up. I already had the enemy targeted, but why wait so long for the cover option to come up?

I'm going Scoundrel anyways, which I hear is much less reliant on cover, so we'll see how that develops.

Jeezbus
Priest

Post by Jeezbus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:31 am

my scoundrel hasnt used cover since level 2

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 am

Jeezbus wrote:my scoundrel hasnt used cover since level 2
Nope. I generally stealth, hit them with an incap, b----slap him, blow a hole in their back, and heal my partner when necessary! Tons o' fun
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:36 am

Which companion do you use when questing and why?

The Plush Family:

Durai
Altarsquid

Post by Durai » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Update:

Last night was my first night on Vent. It was during what I believe to have been the first Initiation Ceremony of TOR.

Due to Vent, I am deleting my lv7 Zabrak Smuggler next time I'm online.

I will re-make a Smuggler as a Cyborg, since there is no Robot species.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:54 am

Durai wrote:Update:

Last night was my first night on Vent. It was during what I believe to have been the first Initiation Ceremony of TOR.

Due to Vent, I am deleting my lv7 Zabrak Smuggler next time I'm online.

I will re-make a Smuggler as a Cyborg, since there is no Robot species.

Everyday I'm shuffling.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum