Forum bug thread

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Reese
Priest
Forum bug thread

Post by Reese » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:22 am

Blackferne wrote:Update on the 500 errors.

I've been going back and forth with our host. They do not seem to have very capable techs. I've been referred to our data transfer as a possible source despite out plan saying unlimited. They have also said we might be utilizing too much memory (30mb limit for our plan). But I have no way to be able to see what we have done that uses so much memory (they referred me to daily data transfer logs).

Dood seems to think it might be a PHP bug in either Alvis, the forums, or MP,. I'm going to call tonight and hopefully speed this up a bit.
Though fDood is an expert or something his diagnosis means nothing to me. I therefore submit that the cause is dragons and the solution is a combination of Christian Bale + Matthew Mconaghey - shirts. Don't judge me it works in the future.

I also believe that the forum not knowing the appropriate spelling of either of their names should be considered a bug.
This... I Command!

Blackferne
Archbishop

Re: Forum bug thread

Post by Blackferne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 am

Currently waiting on a graph or chart showing CPU usage over the past 60 days. If we need to upgrade we will, but I want to make damn sure this is a "our problem" and not their problem.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Soooo in case anyone has been wondering how popular we are. Since Sunday we have had 3,336 page views on any Alvis page. Of these the most came on Tuesday with 1,049.

Our most popular page is thechurchofalvis.com/forum/phpBB3/index.php with 593 views since Sunday.

By comparison www.murlocparliament.com has had 1,362,867 Page Views with 376,588 views Wednesday.

Their most popular page was murlocparliament.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php with 1,343,602 views since Sunday.

I think I found the source of the problem. I have since put up a /robot.txt file blocking any robot from looking at that file. We shall see if that cuts down on significant server strain and reduces the 500 errors.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Blackferne wrote:Soooo in case anyone has been wondering how popular we are. Since Sunday we have had 3,336 page views on any Alvis page. Of these the most came on Tuesday with 1,049.

Our most popular page is thechurchofalvis.com/forum/phpBB3/index.php with 593 views since Sunday.

By comparison http://www.murlocparliament.com has had 1,362,867 Page Views with 376,588 views Wednesday.

Their most popular page was murlocparliament.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php with 1,343,602 views since Sunday.

I think I found the source of the problem. I have since put up a /robot.txt file blocking any robot from looking at that file. We shall see if that cuts down on significant server strain and reduces the 500 errors.
That's like, a lot of views.

By comparison, RumDood.com has had 468,954 pageviews in that same timespan - assuming that time span was the past three years instead of the last three days.
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

njessi
Scribe

Post by njessi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Those aren't real views. I mean, google analytics has nowhere NEAR those numbers.
Mistress of Hawtpants

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Yeah I was going off our hosts webstats pages.
Jounville Blackferne

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:36 pm

njessi wrote:Those aren't real views. I mean, google analytics has nowhere NEAR those numbers.
Analytics also doesn't usually count your WP-Admin area, which it would appear was getting slammed. That looks to me like a hacking attempt via brute-force, but I'm not looking at all of the data.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Dood wrote:
njessi wrote:Those aren't real views. I mean, google analytics has nowhere NEAR those numbers.
Analytics also doesn't usually count your WP-Admin area, which it would appear was getting slammed. That looks to me like a hacking attempt via brute-force, but I'm not looking at all of the data.
Yeah looking at MPs stats over 98% of page views are attributed to that address. Total brute force haxxors.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:16 am

Update: I tweaked something a few hours back and the website hits (combined CoA and MP) dropped from 15k/hr down to 140/hr. I'm going to monitor that over the next few days and if my solution seems solid I'll do the same thing to our blogpage and Alvian bloggers will have another layer of logins.

If you see any 500 Errors from this point on let me know.
Jounville Blackferne

Gandolfini
Priest

Post by Gandolfini » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Dood wrote:
Yeah looking at MPs stats over 98% of page views are attributed to that address. Total brute force haxxors.
Piss anyone off lately? :cheers:
Spelt chick it fur putties!

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Haven't gotten any error 500's yet today, however MP is now prompting me for a userID and pwd.

The full error is: The server murlocparliament.com at Access for /murlocpaliament/wp-admin requires a username and pwd

I have a screenshot I'm going to email you from my work email as well Blackie. I accessed MP by using the favorite I have at work which is pointed to http://murlocparliament.com/ so I don't think it's me pointing at a bad spot...
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:05 pm

Furiel wrote:Haven't gotten any error 500's yet today, however MP is now prompting me for a userID and pwd.

The full error is: The server murlocparliament.com at Access for /murlocpaliament/wp-admin requires a username and pwd

I have a screenshot I'm going to email you from my work email as well Blackie. I accessed MP by using the favorite I have at work which is pointed to http://murlocparliament.com/ so I don't think it's me pointing at a bad spot...
Hmmm. That should only be happening if you are attempting to login into the wordpress back end.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Furiel wrote:Haven't gotten any error 500's yet today, however MP is now prompting me for a userID and pwd.

Hmmm. That should only be happening if you are attempting to login into the wordpress back end.
Kinda my thought as well, which I'm totally not trying to do so obviously there is something embedded in the page iteself causing it. Perhaps with the new theme you implimented recently? But it almost looks like it's not haxxorz causing the issue, but something embedded in your page that is sending repeated requests to the admin page just while people are browsing your content and that's what's causing the issue. And also why google analytics might be missing it but your host is picking it up.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:28 pm

We are in the process of doing a 1 by 1 reboot on each blog addon.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 pm

I've had MP up for about 5 consecutive minutes now and no prompt. Usually it wouldn't go for more than about 30 second so before the prompt so it appears you are making headway.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:30 pm

I know stuff has been a bit wonky this morning with teh forum and blog. Jess found some tooltip plugins so if you link an item off torhead or some swtor database site it will give a tooltip on this site. Things have not gone as smoothly as we would have liked. Please be patient.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:34 pm

test failed. tooltips still not working. :lightsaber:
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:46 pm

SWEET it works!

Okay so if you link and item from R2-db, db.darthhater or TORhead it should allow for a tooltip if you hover over the link. Examples

http://www.torhead.com/item/fRj4BGc

http://db.darthhater.com/items/3862/gaults_tech_jacket/

http://r2-db.com/article-rss/10374

Test it out.
Jounville Blackferne

Miragel
Scribe

Post by Miragel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Works in Chrome!

Friggin Nifty! Thanks Joun!

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Works in FF.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Cool feature bro!
Cuspar

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Can we get a Youtube tag for embedding vids?
Cuspar

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Cuspar wrote:Can we get a Youtube tag for embedding vids?

there is one.

replace [ for { in teh following syntax

So you have link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVzvRsl4rEM

take the part after the = and place it in the tags like so:

{youtube}sVzvRsl4rEM{/youtube}

If you do it correctly it should be like this

note: sometimes there is additional stuff like the address is like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVzvRsl4 ... r_embedded
you would cut everyting up to the = and starting with the &feature... yo'd cut everything else.
Jounville Blackferne

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:09 pm

:rave:
Cuspar