Discussion: Future of Alvis in SWTOR

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Discussion: Future of Alvis in SWTOR

Post by Blackferne » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Introduction

Yesterday I talked with Furiel, Bulwark, Skiggity, Timmy, Premmat, Starel, and Maizan about the future of the Church of Alvis in SWTOR. I want to stress that regardless of what happens to Alvis in SWTOR, as a community of friends we will still exist via these forums and in whatever collective games we play (Marvel Heroes, Star Citizen, XBox, etc etc). This thread is to talk about what to do about SWTOR in particular.

The Situation
The reality is that SWTOR has failed to hold the interest of the majority of our community. Our attempts to recruit or ally with other parties for activities has been really tough. Skiggity mentioned last night that in his PUGs he has seen various guilds on the server evaporate over time. Players have gradually drifted towards larger and larger guilds. Looking at who has been on in the last 10 days it is pretty much the same 4-5 people.

In addition to that I know that Furiel and myself have not been in a position to be on as much due to real life commitments. I've always thought that Guild Leaders need to be playing enough that they can be around to help with issues. And while I'm still playing, the hours have decreased and there haven't been that many people on when I am on.

Due to those factors Furiel, Bulwark, and I saw three possible options as outlined below:

Option 1: Leadership Change
President Josiah Bartlet on the West Wing wrote:"We hold these truths to be self-evident," they said, "that all men are created equal." Strange as it may seem, that was the first time in history that anyone had ever bothered to write that down. Decisions are made by those who show up.
Decisions are made by those who show up. And if the remaining SWTOR players want to give someone else the keys of leadership in an attempt to rebuild the guild, I would be happy to hand them over. This option could be interesting, but it would probably be a hard job to recruit and build a program up in the current state of the game. If this option were to happen I'd still be there playing (in my reduced time allowance), but the real engine of the guild would be the new person(s).

Option 2: Status Quo
People are content to do what they want to do currently. They find the activities they like in game and do them, and what's been going on for the past month or two is the new normal. I'd maintain guild leader status.

Option 3: Mothballs
We would effectively shutter the guild. Joun/Backson would remain guild leaders, but we'd liquidate as best we can the contents of the guild bank to cash, and if any of the existing active players needed the money we'd hand out "payouts". Players could leave on good terms with no one faulting them. I'd still log in those characters to keep the guild leadership active as long as I still played, but the guild for all intents and purposes would be folded unless some expansion had people wanting to come back.

Discussion
We don't have to decide now. If we choose option 2, I guess we don't have to decided ever. I just want to discuss what we should do with input from all parties.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Staris
Priest

Re: Discussion: Future of Alvis in SWTOR

Post by Staris » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:43 pm

Blackferne wrote:Yesterday I talked with Furiel, Bulwark, Skiggity, Timmy, Premmat, Maizan, and Starel/Staris
I realize that I didn't say much but I was there :evil:. That aside my knee-jerk reaction is option 2 though realistically some form of both 2 & 3 could be done, aka if we decide on option 2 wouldn't necessary stop Skig with church blessing guilding with one of the large guilds so he can do the nightmare 16 man Ops he is interested in doing.

In part I am choosing 2 because regardless of the outcome I won't be quitting the guild in game, even if everyone else decides on option 3 and its just me a joun. I did enjoy doing the Ops and progression but for me it was much more of spending time with my gaming family, the fact that we ran Ops and that there was progression was a bonus. So even if only for nostalgia purposes I don't want to loss the guild tag over my name.

The one thing I would mention that had been talk about last night that wasn't mentioned here was using the forms to do game nights. I really liked the idea and would want that to happen.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Your name is on the original post. :shifty:

Game nights would be fun.
Jounville Blackferne

Premmat
Altarsquid

Post by Premmat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:04 pm

I honestly think we should go with option 2. kind let things flow for now and see where it lead towards the end of the year. and if nothing really changes. then try a different approach. there will always come a time when a casual guild such as ourselves will take a short break from playing but im sure it wouldn't be permanent. swtor is always coming out with new FP's and Ops. we can always pug for the 55's and see if we cant recruit that way. and im pushing my nephew to gear up for the lvl 50 ops. like I said after you left vent joun. Id hate to see the guild disband due to lack of play time. I ended up going through 3 different guilds before I found you guys. and honestly it was the best thing to ever happen to me while playing the game. and im sure everyone else thinks the same. we aren't just a guild we are a family within the swtor community. but for now option 2 is my vote

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:22 pm

I said so in the chat, but I want to reiterate that Joun (and Furiel and Bul) are to be commended for acknowledging there's been a change of late, it's much better and healthier to have a discussion than to just ignore the issue. It's another reason I have crazy respect for this guild.

As mentioned above, if I have a future in SWTOR it lies in progression raiding; that's the content I crave the most. Unfortunately, such progress is very much tied to one's guild, and while I've had some success pugging you all know that much more gets done with schedules and loot lists. My vote would fall to a kind of hybrid of the 2 and 3 categories; consider the raid program mothballed and let folks who want to keep raiding head their own way, but obviously keep the Alvian flag flying and let anyone who wants to keep alts or mains intact on the list. In this case, I'd probably move my 4 primaries to whatever raiding group I ended up with, but I'd love to keep my non-raiding alts under the banner of Alvis for future shenanigans. And the forum will always be one of my home tabs.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Joun can attest to this as I said it in our chat yesterday afternoon when he came to me about this, because it hurt to admit it, but everything he said I agree with and it was something I had thought about some recently on my own, I just hadn't brought it to everyone else because in a deep down selfish part of me I didn't want to give up the friends I've made here and there has always been a comfort in knowing that when I get a little time and I make my once or twice a week foray into ToR that there will be a couple familiar faces that I can BS with. But then I also realized that feeling that way was selfish and part of being a leader is admitting that at a certain level it's over and not to ignore an obvious problem just for my own personal comfort.

My life has changed, I think for the better, I've got a girlfriend who is amazing now, I've got more activities and things keeping me away from my computer and I just don't have the time to devote to the game, and unfortunately to you all, that I used to. I don't intend to quit but at the same time like Joun I feel part of leading is being there for the people I would be leading and that's just not happening for me anymore. Like Joun I would step aside for anyone more active if they wanted to assume the mantle of leadership, or my Chewbacca role to Joun's Han Solo so to speak.

With that said I am not planning to cancel my sub, I'll still be on with something approximating the sporadicness I've had over the last couple months so you all aren't rid of me. At least not yet. I'll still be as active as always on the forums, and if we wanted to put together game nights either on the forums, via skype or vent or however we want to do it, I'm in. Ya'll are some of the best people I've met in my time gaming. To blatantly steal from General Reikkan "You're good in a fight, I hate to lose you." But I also bear no ill will toward Skig or anyone else who feels the need to remove characters from the guild so they can further persue their in-game goals. Just know that at some point I'm probably going to hunt you down, shit your buffet and shoot you right in the freaking face. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. :wink:
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Furiel wrote: Just know that at some point I'm probably going to hunt you down, shit your buffet and shoot you right in the freaking face. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. :wink:
I just see that playing out with you as a crying blubbering wavering mess.

Like this, except with blasters.

Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:33 pm

That said I do feel similar to Furiel. I've been the GM for 10 years now. It is kind of emotional.

Jounville Blackferne

Premmat
Altarsquid

Post by Premmat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 pm

anyone play Dota 2? lol

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:47 am

Wow. So I've been having my own personal issues with 'throwing it in' because, to be quite honest, I really like you guys. I obviously haven't been around...in about 2 months...and I truly miss the hell out of all of you. If not for that, my sub would have been canceled and I'd have a cool fifteen bucks burning a hole in my pocket. Time is more tight than I thought it would be. It seems that the baby set off attention starvation in my daughters. It may be that they're afraid of losing Dad to the new kid, or that they just hit a point where the big-ish goofy guy is more fun than he was 6 months ago. Regardless, if I'm not with the boy-o, doing a project, or at work, I'm playing Lego's and Barbie Dolls. Without gaming during the days, and having only a few nights a week to log, I feel like I'm losing the gear race and I don't have much of a chance to catch up. Beyond that, I really don't have the energy to grind. I do that enough in real life :twisted:. The only reason I have to log is you guys, and I feel like I would just be holding you all back in raids due to poor gear and equally poor ability!!!

Now in regards to the question at hand, I would agree that there should be a hybrid 2/3 solution. Let those that wish to leave and progression raid go with our blessing. Skigg, you would be a huge loss. You are a big part of the makeup of this guild, and I've always looked at you as our tutor. You have a great way about you, a kindness that's inviting and a coolness that inspires confidence in your leadership. I think when all this gets settled, you and me should get an apartment together...wait...

...anyway, if you DID move on, I'd ask that, at the VERY least, you stay connected. FB friend us, come to the forums, shoot us a phone call! That goes for anyone else that looked to leave for more progressive pastures. I have to say I'm happy to hear Star is sticking around. I must admit you are our other "pro" and I'd miss you as well. When/If I raid again, I want to be your sidekick. You make me look fair to moderate! Timmy, you're the third person I'm most concerned with leaving. If you do, see my ramblings to Skigg and follow suit!

I'm all for a 'game' night. I'd even be interested in another game of "Diplomacy" (one in which I DON'T blow the whole game because I didn't confirm my moves). I really want to get back into 'hanging out' with you all again. I'll echo that this really is an amazing group of friends we've got here. I don't consider you guys my internet friends, I just think of you as friends. So much so that my wife recognizes we haven't 'gotten together' and has been urging me to cut out some time to raid. I'm always happier after I do, regardless of our progress, because I always have a good time with the lot of you.

With all of that said, my sub is in all of your hands. If this great experiment gets moth-balled, I'll cancel. If we hold on, I'll keep it going: if only for the promise of logging to play SOMEDAY.
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:54 am

Furiel wrote:Just know that at some point I'm probably going to hunt you down, shit your buffet and shoot you right in the freaking face. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. :wink:
So I may be doing too much reading into this so correct me if I'm wrong Furiel, but that your suggesting in two months a game night of pvp at the Outlaws Den.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Fynn wrote:With all of that said, my sub is in all of your hands. If this great experiment gets moth-balled, I'll cancel. If we hold on, I'll keep it going: if only for the promise of logging to play SOMEDAY.
Note: You can always convert to F2P.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:35 pm

Staris wrote:
Furiel wrote:Just know that at some point I'm probably going to hunt you down, shit your buffet and shoot you right in the freaking face. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. :wink:
So I may be doing too much reading into this so correct me if I'm wrong Furiel, but that your suggesting in two months a game night of pvp at the Outlaws Den.
:shifty:

:dropcheer:
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Howdy neighbours.

I have been wondering about this for the past several weeks and whether to keep playing or not. My life has change for the better over the summer and priorities have changed some what. I love playing games in almost every shape and form and the Star Wars universe/space is very dear to me. The main reason I play mmo's is for raid nights and grouping up with people I know to complete a goal. That being said, I am in favour of option 3. In the current state of the guild, Option 1 and 2 are almost the same thing, Option 1 is just making it formal. Growing the church is almost impossible unless we find a guild or group of players in a similar state as we are now and have a large mass injection. From past experiences, what drove me away from guilds is when no one is one when I log in. And with our current roster, that is what is happening.

With option 3, we can move on if we wish, and keep a few back as well. We can also look at creating a Church Channel so we still have some form of church chat, no matter where we end up (Assuming this works in game). Ultimately I would like to see those that choose to move, move together as group. That being said, upper tier raiding requires more of a commitment that I do not have at this moment.

On a completely different but similar note. We were doing a flashpoint as guild about a month ago and everyone was using a female toon. An odd thought occurred to me during one of the interludes. "Is there something wrong with us? - We are 4 guys hanging out in a chat room with assumed names, dressing up as women." :) Time for another Drink!

Maizan
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Aww, Fynn, you had me at "bubblah."

Even if I do hop guilds I'll keep some toons on Alvis/Pod Six, and I'll be easy to find, either on the forum or online. Although this week I've been on a Mechwarrior Online kick.

And yeah, the F2P option keeps us all in the mix regardless of monetary commitment.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

TimmySchneeks
Priest

Post by TimmySchneeks » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Pretty much what Starel said. I'm sticking around regardless, might get drafted to a pug or two by Skig but I'd still rather run a FP or hunt a bounty or whatever with Alvis once in a while.

That said I have started on a few other games after becoming Alt'd-out with no raiding going on (I missed Fyyn so much I made my own Fyyn to pretend it was him. Just not quite as handsome :rodian: ).

I do count 8 of us in this thread, none of whom have said F this game I quit, so...maybe the stars will align once in a while, who knows! If anyone's looking for a 4th/8th for whatever, I'm also TimmySchneeks on Steam, it's nearly always on.
TimmySchneeks | Boccior - Gunslinger | Qixx - Sage Healer | Lagdalen - Guardian Tank | Tom'Mato - Vanguard DPS | Käylëë - Sentinel

Premmat
Altarsquid

Post by Premmat » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:16 am

Well said Timmy. I also am staying in the guild, whether i raid or not. i actually pugged in a 16 man lvl 55 ops today. honestly i wasn't satisfied. It wasn't like running with Alvis but i can still live with it. doesn't really matter if we all part ways because no other guild would be the same. we may be a small guild but no other guild would greet us when we log in everytime. these more popular guilds that most people go too im sure there roster count is so high that they don't know half the people that log on. that's what sets this guild apart from the others. and that's why i stayed. whenever im having a horrible day outside of the swtor community. i know i can hop on and things would be better. im sure a lot of you think the same. all i can really say is ill sit back and wait patiently for the day we all run raids again together. i don't care if i have to wait a few weeks, months, years, decades, or even centuries.