Playable Races

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Scarybooster
Friend of Alvis
Playable Races

Post by Scarybooster » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:45 pm

There is 4 new races announced. http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20100806 all sound really cool. I'm executed to check them out. BioWare is doing awesome job with the lore.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Re: Playable Races

Post by Blackferne » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Executed to check them out?

We need to get better suggestive typing on iphones and droids. First food now executed.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Scarybooster
Friend of Alvis

Post by Scarybooster » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:52 pm

I was so excited I typed the wrong damn word. I'm trying to duplicate the mess up but I can't lol

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:03 pm

At least we can mock him for not being able to type. Or use spell check.

The Sith Pureblood intrests me a great deal, though as Sith Inquisitor I may end up Zabrak. I'm not sure I like the whole idea of limiting certain species to certain classes. Sure, there's racial traits that make one path more suited than another, but I'd still like to be whatever race I want...

The Mandolorian Wars entry in the Jedi Archives Video log is up too.

Scarybooster
Friend of Alvis

Post by Scarybooster » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:10 pm

I know, the Sith Purebloods are hawt. If they come out with fish guys on the Rebel side, I am going Pureblood to make fishsticks

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:16 pm

I would be SHOCKED if Mon Cal didn't appear as a playable race and was republic. I will also be shocked if Trandoshians don't appear in game though their Republic allegiance is more suspect for me.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:28 pm

Sir Psyko wrote:At least we can mock him for not being able to type. Or use spell check.

The Sith Pureblood intrests me a great deal, though as Sith Inquisitor I may end up Zabrak. I'm not sure I like the whole idea of limiting certain species to certain classes. Sure, there's racial traits that make one path more suited than another, but I'd still like to be whatever race I want...

I don't think they are limiting them just to those classes they show in the examples, I bet that the races they showed will just be restricted to the respective force using classes of each side, meaning you could be a Zabrak SI or SW, etc etc for both sides. I'm hoping Sean will give a clarification though because it sucks when reveals just lead to more questions.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Furiel wrote:
Sir Psyko wrote:At least we can mock him for not being able to type. Or use spell check.

I don't think they are limiting them just to those classes they show in the examples, I bet that the races they showed will just be restricted to the respective force using classes of each side, meaning you could be a Zabrak SI or SW, etc etc for both sides. I'm hoping Sean will give a clarification though because it sucks when reveals just lead to more questions.
The way it's written they are limiting them to certain class/race combos...
The rage of these fallen ancestors of the Sith Pureblood lives on in the Sith Warriors who dominate the battlefield with their intimidating presence and aggressive tactics.
That sounds like Sith Purebloods are only playable as Sith Warriors.
A near-human species with unrivaled strength in the Force, Miraluka can become powerful Jedi Knights.
And Miraluka only as Jedi Knights because...
As one of the most wise and mystical species in the galaxy, the green-skinned Mirialans can become powerful Jedi Consulars.
...Mirilans are the Jedi Consulars.

And just to keep quoting...
A proud species from an inhospitable world, Zabraks are among the few with the determination and ferocity to become Sith Inquisitors.

I hope that's not the only classes you can play with these Non-Human races, but it certainly sounds that way. It looks like Humans will be the only race to be able to play any class. Given how they are focused on story and every class having a different path, it may just be another way of encouraging people to try another class/race. Which makes me wonder just how many character slots the game will have standard (and how much in a micro-transaction unlocking all 8 will cost).

Transdosians are mentioned on the Inhabitants page, making it seem like they are not going to be a playable race since the Gormak are also featured (and mention the Voss) and called enemies of both the Republic and Empire. Using this as a basis, I suspect Wookiees will not be a playable race either.

Scarybooster
Friend of Alvis

Post by Scarybooster » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:11 pm

It makes me wonder if there is going to be cash shop to unlock race/class combos or ne races as the game grows. I hope they don't do what STO is doing. :lightsaber:

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Well, Sean posted an update:
There are combinations we haven't confirmed. James recently talked on this subject at Comic-Con International, though, and announced that there will be some restrictions. For the time being, the combinations we have announced you cna count on. What other combinations will there be? That's an update for another day
Unfortunately that lends credence to my theory, but also does not in any way dismiss yours either.

Vagueness FTL
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Scarybooster
Friend of Alvis

Post by Scarybooster » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:20 pm

It would be cool to have Jawa Jedis

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Scarybooster wrote:It makes me wonder if there is going to be cash shop to unlock race/class combos or ne races as the game grows. I hope they don't do what STO is doing. :lightsaber:
I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some sort of Micro-Transaction system in the game... EVERYONE has one now, and honestly it's a good way to make money as long as the items are cosmetic. ST:O went way overboard with the nickel and diming and that's one of the reasons I quit after 3 months... I saw all the stuff going to the store, no new free content or bug fixes and realized that it needed another year of development. By that time ST:O will be F2P anyway so it won't really matter. Add to that that I was RA5 in less than a month, while screwing around and mastering crafting and Tribble crafting at the same time... I got bored waiting for content.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:33 pm

I think blizzard has the microtransactions right for WoW, and I wouldn't mind them for SWTOR.

You can pay to change your gender/race. You can pay to switch servers. You can pay to switch factions (though understandably that won't be viable here). You can pay for some dumb vanity noncombat pets or that ridiculous sparkle pony(it is no better or worse than any other mount you have). They have toys you can get from the WoW Card Game (like a kite or a turtle I think).

That is as far as I'd like to see it. My gameplay won't be altered by you getting that crap (except the eye sore those fucking sparkle ponies are in dalaran, like everyone has them WTF?), and they don't seem to dedicate too much in the way of game development resources into it, so go blizzard keep on printing money.
Jounville Blackferne

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:05 pm

STO went too far with Micro-Transactions. They now have Per-Character MTs and that pissed off a LOT of people. I got fed up after 3 months of seeing Store items and not a whole lot else to fix the game...

Character slots, Playable races, ship skins... then they added costume slots, Ship Bridge Skins, Ship retrofits (to make lower level ships usable at higher levels), Ship Slots (to have more available ships), Bridge Officer Slots (to have more available trained BOs), Character Costume packs that were part of the "Exclusive" Pre-Order Bonuses, Emotes (in tiny-ass packs of 3-4 actions)... all require more money...

Basically everything that should have been going into the game for people paying for it was being sent to the Store instead to get even more money. If it was F2P I wouldn't have a problem with it (which, incidentally, I believe it will be F2P before Lifetime Subs get their value out of it).

This weekend is a Vet Player Free Return Weekend and I can't even be bothered to see what they finally managed to add that should have been in at launch.

Yes, I'm bitter about seeing Star Trek f'ed up so badly.

Kitoshi
Priest

Post by Kitoshi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 pm

I like Zabraks...

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Sir Psyko wrote:STO went too far with Micro-Transactions. They now have Per-Character MTs and that pissed off a LOT of people. I got fed up after 3 months of seeing Store items and not a whole lot else to fix the game...

Character slots, Playable races, ship skins... then they added costume slots, Ship Bridge Skins, Ship retrofits (to make lower level ships usable at higher levels), Ship Slots (to have more available ships), Bridge Officer Slots (to have more available trained BOs), Character Costume packs that were part of the "Exclusive" Pre-Order Bonuses, Emotes (in tiny-ass packs of 3-4 actions)... all require more money...

Basically everything that should have been going into the game for people paying for it was being sent to the Store instead to get even more money. If it was F2P I wouldn't have a problem with it (which, incidentally, I believe it will be F2P before Lifetime Subs get their value out of it).

This weekend is a Vet Player Free Return Weekend and I can't even be bothered to see what they finally managed to add that should have been in at launch.

Yes, I'm bitter about seeing Star Trek f'ed up so badly.
I logged back in and it gave me a level of xp. That's about the only thing I noticed.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:21 pm

I would never buy a lifetime subscription simply because if swg taught me anything is that a game can turn on its head really quick and then you'll have money lost.
Jounville Blackferne

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Blackferne wrote:I would never buy a lifetime subscription simply because if swg taught me anything is that a game can turn on its head really quick and then you'll have money lost.
The only 2 games I've played that offed Lifetimes were Hellgate: London and ST:O.

Hellgate I liked, but it wasnt a game that should have ever had a subscription to begin with (and also why it failed miserably and disappeared before the Lifers got their value.) I actually called this during Beta Test and got laughed at.

ST:O tempted me since it was from Cryptic, but after the Beta I realized it was a year from being "finished" and after capping my main and having 3 alts at various stages in the first month it was a relief that I passed.

The problem I see with Lifetime Subs is that you usually have to buy them pre-launch. Unless you're in Beta a while (a month or so) to see if you even like the game it's potentially pissing away $200+ for a game that you may hate, let alone the various issues... I like ST:O's concept... the implementation needs polished and there needs to be a LOT more content to justify the expense. Honestly, I think F2P is the way to go in the future since everything under the sun is getting the MMO treatment now (Transformers Online is in the works now).

Kitoshi
Priest

Post by Kitoshi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:38 am

Honestly, if SW:ToR offers a lifetime sub I might do it depending on the cost. If it's like pre-pay for the equivalent of 2 years I think it would be worth it.

This is, ofcourse, if I get into Beta (likely when they're doing server stress tests with my luck.) and I love it.

In ST:O what was the cost for a lifetime sub?

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:51 am

Blackferne wrote:I would be SHOCKED if Mon Cal didn't appear as a playable race and was republic
CRITICAL to the Cusp.
Cuspar

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:04 am

Cuspar wrote:
Blackferne wrote:I would be SHOCKED if Mon Cal didn't appear as a playable race and was republic
CRITICAL to the Cusp.

The Cusp? We referring to ourselves in the third person now?
Jounville Blackferne

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:08 am

Kitoshi wrote:In ST:O what was the cost for a lifetime sub?
I believe when they announced it they had a special $150 rate, but then it went up to $240 before launch. AFAIK it's still available at that price.

If the lifetime sub included the Deluxe Digital version or something I would consider it, but shelling out $60 for a game and then the sub on top of it seems ridiculous, especially when it's a download and not physical packaging.

Takanudo
Scribe

Post by Takanudo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:38 am

Blackferne wrote:
Cuspar wrote:
CRITICAL to the Cusp.

What's wrong with talking in the third person?

-Takanudo (doesn't see a problem with it)

Blackferne
Archbishop

Re: Re: Playable Races

Post by Blackferne » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:25 am

Takanudo wrote:
Blackferne wrote:
Cuspar wrote:
CRITICAL to the Cusp.

What's wrong with talking in the third person?

-Takanudo (doesn't see a problem with it)
As long as we may use the first person plural, we do not object.

Sent from my smartyphone using Tapatalk
Jounville Blackferne

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:07 am

I would not refer to "The Jonathan" but Cuspar IS a third person version of my consciousness.
Cuspar