SW:ToR - RETURN OF THE LUFTWAFFLE!!!

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Furiel
Cardinal
SW:ToR - RETURN OF THE LUFTWAFFLE!!!

Post by Furiel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Darth Hater will bring you coverage of Comic-Con all throughout the day. Keep your eyes peeled and F5s stomped for incoming news on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Our Comic-Con schedule includes live blogging of the 1:00-2:00 PM PST Beyond Solo: Crafting the Multiplayer Story in Star Wars: The Old Republic panel, featuring BioWare developers James Ohlen, Alex Freed, and Drew Karpyshyn.

1:03PM PST - James Ohlen: You can customize your ship and engage in space combat. October PC Gamer will reveal more details.
1:14PM PST - James Ohlen: World quests, flashpoints, and story arcs included.

I have to be honest...I pitched a tent. :lukepilot:
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Re: SW:ToR - RETURN OF THE LUFTWAFFLE!!!

Post by Blackferne » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:33 pm

I wonder how that will play out. I don;t mind if it were a space sim like JTLS was in SWG, but I know other people get "space sick". Will they have options that allow them to bypass combat? Or is space combat that turret thing like in KOTOR 1.

Either way. Luftwaffle is back baby!
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:49 pm

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=173964

Looks to be a side quest style minigame. So those people who get space sick don't have to do it.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Probably a good way to do it. I really liked the JTL style though and wouldn't have minded seeing that. I wonder how they will go about getting ship components and upgrades, etc, or if it's just going to be everyone has X due to their ship type.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Furiel wrote:Probably a good way to do it. I really liked the JTL style though and wouldn't have minded seeing that. I wonder how they will go about getting ship components and upgrades, etc, or if it's just going to be everyone has X due to their ship type.
Well it could be that you can end up with multiple ships, or you could change ships throughout the game. I mean just because you start with CDEF Ship, doesn't mean you couldn't upgrade to the DE-10 Ship down the road. Though unless they allow multiple ships I don't see how you can have a ship full of companions AND a single person fighter ala X-Wing or TIE fighter.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Furiel wrote:Probably a good way to do it. I really liked the JTL style though and wouldn't have minded seeing that. I wonder how they will go about getting ship components and upgrades, etc, or if it's just going to be everyone has X due to their ship type.
Well it could be that you can end up with multiple ships, or you could change ships throughout the game. I mean just because you start with CDEF Ship, doesn't mean you couldn't upgrade to the DE-10 Ship down the road. Though unless they allow multiple ships I don't see how you can have a ship full of companions AND a single person fighter ala X-Wing or TIE fighter.
Unless they made it that components were swappable, so you could have guns, shields, etc that were carried on your primary ship, and when you went to the PvP plantes for example, in the hanger you could interact with an NPC and go into a customization screen where you pick the items you want from your primary to be strapped onto the fighter body they give you that is restricted just to that system, or you can launch with your personal.

Or you have a personal fighter(s) that are stored on the PvP planets/systems, and you fly to said system in your personal, then you can talk to an NPC to launch your fighter into the system and fight in it. Make fighter types incapable of inter-system flight and you could even make it so only certain fighter types could be used in certain systems.

As long as the ability to have multiple ships is built in or can be added later there are tons of options for how it could be expanded and improved on down the line, assuming it's not already awesome...which it could be.

The Plush Family:

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:36 am

I wasn't a huge fan of SWG's combat, but loved the "space" (3D movement, joystick enabled, etc.) and ship upgrades.

I loved ST:O's combat but hated the movement and crappy controls. Space combat was so much fun (especially since ground sucked horribly) that it kept me around despite the lack of anything else to do.

Hopefully this will take the best of both and make something awesome.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:18 am

I think JTL was the beginning of the end of SWG. Hopefully Bioware doesn't shit the bed with it.
Cuspar

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:35 am

Cuspar wrote:I think JTL was the beginning of the end of SWG. Hopefully Bioware doesn't shit the bed with it.
But to be fair, it wasn't JTL's gameplay that was the problem, it is how the ground game was going at that point.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Cuspar wrote:I think JTL was the beginning of the end of SWG. Hopefully Bioware doesn't shit the bed with it.
But to be fair, it wasn't JTL's gameplay that was the problem, it is how the ground game was going at that point.
Agreed...the space gameplay was sooooo much better than the ground was at that point with the CuRB having already gone in and all of the holocron grinding that was occuring. It was just bad timing IMO.

The Plush Family: