Tanking Relic?

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Skiggity
Bishop
Tanking Relic?

Post by Skiggity » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Alephia currently has a nice PVP relic that gives +97 to shield rating. Shield Chance is currently 40.58 percent, and Absorption is 50.74. Also just hit 200 daily comms, but the Campaign relic in Black Hole seems a bit meh in comparison. Is a 6-second boost in Aborb rating (albeit 405 increase every 20 seconds) better than a consistent shield perk?
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Blackferne
Archbishop

Re: Tanking Relic?

Post by Blackferne » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:00 pm

IIRC you want to try and get your shield and and absorb (passive or if there is an ability that builds one like in vanguard) to about 50% anything above that is cooldown territory and the drop off on diminishing returns is pretty steep.

Also there is another trinket I'm saving up for that is an on use +defense trinket. 200 daily comms on ilum if memory serves. That might be more helpful.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 pm

The only reason I would suggest leaning toward the Campain one is I've heard that procs aren't affected as severely as a straight up so if your Aborb is close to the limits the proc isn't make useless granted thats what I've heard and makes sense but doesn't mean its true.

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 pm

I would say it is more of a tradeoff.

Though I cannot say what diference the +97 shield rating would do to my tanking stats, but when the +405 proc goes off my absorb is now over 70% for those 6 seconds. Put into perspective, most fury/frenzy/berzerk timers are only about ~10 seconds long (not counting Toth, cuz he's dumb and cant tell time).

I have not been all that tempted to boost my Shield Rating all that much as there are known negative returns above 50-ish%, though I don't actually know the drop-curve from that point. IMHO, you can never have enough Absorption, as that is actually what reduces the damage taken but I will not sacrifice anything that drops my Shield chance below 50%

So right now Shattner has 51.8% chance to shield, and without any procs whatsoever, ~48% absorption of whatever he is shielding. Let's look at the raw optimized numbers:

So using 10,000 pts of incoming dmg as a nice even baseline, I can shield up-to 51.8% of that, so 5180 pts. Then I can absorb about 48 percent of the 5180pts, thus negating a max of ~2486pts.

Turn that around using your number:

Using 10,000 pts of incoming dmg as a nice even baseline, you can shield up-to 40.58% of that, so 4058 pts. Then you can absorb about 51 percent of the 4058pts, thus negating a max of ~2069pts.

Of course these are all "goldilocks" numbers, so I'm not tentirely convinced this is 100% accurate.

Now I can say that the +405 absorb proc tends to add about 12% absorb (4 stacks of power screen and the relic all at once is what puts me at ~70%)

So if we add say.... 10% to your absorb, and keep your shield chance where its at... that puts you at absorbing ~2475pts of dmg. That difference alone makes absorption the winner, and the numbers only get better the more often your shield goes off.

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Marrkin, you've used numbers and for that I commend you. They are a row of the keyboard I try to avoid, unless they're hotkeys for doing damage. But you have swayed me, I'm a gonna try that fancy relic and see how it feels. Might move a few augments from absorb to shield for the time being.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Oh almost forgot,

as I was discussing with Furiel last night about Guardians, the Jedi tanks seem to benefit alot more from +Defense than us VG's do, so you may wanna check into that as well, as that could make all the difference.

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Skiggity wrote:Marrkin, you've used numbers and for that I commend you.
I did no such thing, it was my calculator.... damn thing busts out every so often and I have to smack it back into the desktop.

And if someone finds me grossly incorrect please tell me!! I am new into the "gaming-math" and it makes my frickin head hurt, and my shoes are wearing out from having to remove them all the time.

Now it seems a little weird the way I did the math, as the Shield rating/Shield chance i believe is basically based on the number of times you are attacked, versus actual damage points. All in all the numbers work out. Instead of 10k pts, make it 10 hits. 5.1 of those shielded, and so on...

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 pm

In tanking there are two survival stats you can gauge. First is Effective health and the second is total mitigation.

Effective health is when armor reduces X% of damage how much health do I effectively have in the eyes of a healer.
If Tank A has 25% dmg reduction, Tank B has 50% dmg reduction and tank C has 75% dmg reduction, and they all have 10k health we would say that:
Tank A has 10k/(1-.25)~ 13.3k effective health
Tank B has 10k/(1-.5) ~20k effective health
Tank C has 10k/(1-.75) ~40k effective health

Total mitigation is similar
Using Joun as an example 18% def chance, 50% shield, and 50% absorb and let's say 45% dmg reduction from armor.
10k dmg coming in.
1. (Defense) I'll avoid 1800 off the bat.
2. Shield and Absorb Of the remaining 8,200 I'll shield up against half of that (4,100 of which half will be absorbed, 2,050), and the 2,050 that is not absorbed will be reduced 45% by armor. So I take 1,127.5 points on shield incoming attacks.
3. The other 4,100 of the original 8,200 has to go against my armor of 45% giving me 2,255 points of damage.

So out of 10k incoming: 1,800 misses, 2,050 gets absorbed by a shield, 2767.5 got reduced by armor letting a total of 3382.5pts of damage get through. Or roughly I can mitigate 66% of incoming damage.

In general you want to maximize both effective health and mitigation, but not at the cost of the other.

And total mitigation starts to fall apart if we start talking about non physical or energy damage. Zorn for instance likes to do internal dmg iirc and that doesn't get mitigated by armor (though still can be shielded) so the method changes.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 pm

^^^^ this is why Joun is my gaming-math hero.

This is also why i just use simplified numbers, cuz I can't type stuff like that lol. :rave:

Technical Writer I am not.

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Sometimes timing is everything! I just leveled my Guardian to 50 and, though I leveled him as a deeper, I'm seriously considering respec and gearing to tank. Thanks for all the info, and as soon as I finish the class quest, be ready for an invite request!
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'