High-Pop Server Testing

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Fynn
Priest
High-Pop Server Testing

Post by Fynn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 pm

So with High-Pop Server Testing in full swing, and 1.4 on the server, I was curious if anyone wanted to head over and take a gander? Maybe take a half-hearted swing at the new Op? There may even be an in-game reward for participating!

EDIT: 1.4 is NOT on HPTS. Still worth tooling around, though, if anyone is interested
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Skiggity
Bishop

Re: High-Pop Server Testing

Post by Skiggity » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:07 am

Can you use an existing character?
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Skiggity wrote:Can you use an existing character?
They have already done it for us. Apparently, BW copied all the available characters on all of the East Coast servers and placed them on the HP server. You won't have the last few days of progress/gear, but it is only about three days previous. I also noticed a new title (I think...I don't pay that much attention :shifty: ) ; "Deprogrammer" (again, I think that is what it is). Worth logging in if you're a "Title" collector.
Fyyn Cob

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Interesting, I might check it out. I thought Deprogrammer was the title you got for beating Directive 7 or something tho?
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:31 pm

I read the post and was thinking about this some last night and I'm betting this is going to mean ANOTHER server transfer is forthcoming. Right now they have IIRC they have noah's ark servers...2 of everything...and I'm thinking they are looking to drop that to 1 of each. So there would be 1 PVE server, 1 PVP server, 1 RP server and 1 RP-PVP server and that's it.

IF that is what they are going to do...I hope not but my gut tells me this is the plan...I can only hope that they move everyone to a new, fresh server instead of making most of the player base move to an existing, unless of course the existing is cancerous oreo, because I really don't want to have to go through the name change stress and routine AGAIN.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:22 pm

Furiel wrote:I read the post and was thinking about this some last night and I'm betting this is going to mean ANOTHER server transfer is forthcoming. Right now they have IIRC they have noah's ark servers...2 of everything...and I'm thinking they are looking to drop that to 1 of each. So there would be 1 PVE server, 1 PVP server, 1 RP server and 1 RP-PVP server and that's it.

IF that is what they are going to do...I hope not but my gut tells me this is the plan...I can only hope that they move everyone to a new, fresh server instead of making most of the player base move to an existing, unless of course the existing is cancerous oreo, because I really don't want to have to go through the name change stress and routine AGAIN.
I hate to admit you are probably right Furiel. The hope would be that they have that plan on the back-burner and will only use it when the populations dip down low enough to justify doing it.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Staris wrote:
Furiel wrote:I read the post and was thinking about this some last night and I'm betting this is going to mean ANOTHER server transfer is forthcoming. Right now they have IIRC they have noah's ark servers...2 of everything...and I'm thinking they are looking to drop that to 1 of each. So there would be 1 PVE server, 1 PVP server, 1 RP server and 1 RP-PVP server and that's it.

I hate to admit you are probably right Furiel. The hope would be that they have that plan on the back-burner and will only use it when the populations dip down low enough to justify doing it.
The only other possibility I can think of is that they are preparing for the possibility or expectation of a significant population spike coming in with F2P and want their servers to be able to handle it. This would obviously be my preference but I'm just not that optimistic usually.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Popped into the test server. Everyone of my characters was prompted for a name change, except Maizan. Also noticed the numbers are up from 8 characters to 12 characters.

Logged into Maizan for a bit, the logged out.

Maizan
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Furiel wrote: The only other possibility I can think of is that they are preparing for the possibility or expectation of a significant population spike coming in with F2P and want their servers to be able to handle it. This would obviously be my preference but I'm just not that optimistic usually.
This is my guess

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:53 am

Sounds like a combination of both...Maybe start making some Furiel's, Skiggity's, etc on a few other Destination servers, just to be sure.
Fyyn Cob

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:04 am

I hopped on, only one of my names taken, an alt I havent' used yet. So that's ok...

It was truly high capacity; I was the ONLY ONE on fleet.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Skiggity wrote:I hopped on, only one of my names taken, an alt I havent' used yet. So that's ok...

It was truly high capacity; I was the ONLY ONE on fleet.
Everyone's avoiding you.

It's not that we don't like you. It's that you have terrible foot odor. I thought you should know.
Cuspar eats dead people.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 pm

http://www.swtor.com/blog/server-consolidation

They're just doing it automatically.

If we're moved and I lose my Cuspar name, I'll cancel my account the second I'm sure of that fact.

Edit: FTR, I assume that is rather unlikely, but I'm just sayin'

Edit 2: Did WOW ever have to do this? Because it seems like this game is gonna die.

Edit 3: We are moving to Jedi Covenant. http://www.swtor.com/transfer
Cuspar

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Cuspar wrote:http://www.swtor.com/blog/server-consolidation

They're just doing it automatically.

If we're moved and I lose my Cuspar name, I'll cancel my account the second I'm sure of that fact.

Edit: FTR, I assume that is rather unlikely, but I'm just sayin'

Edit 2: Did WOW ever have to do this? Because it seems like this game is gonna die.

Edit 3: We are moving to Jedi Covenant. http://www.swtor.com/transfer
Just...effing wow.

Considering the backlash with the last transfer, this is probably gonna push more people away. Even if their intent is to create more populous communities, I am not entirely convinced that they have handled the "management" of the community and servers correctly from the start. I still maintain this game should have been held back about another year for polish and so on.

Personally, I don't really care about name changes too terribly much, but I have never ever been part of a server merge while actively playing a game, let alone 2 within a 6 month period.

Cusp, SWTOR has been hovering one foot over the gravesite for months. No need to sugar coat it, and it has been somewhat well publicized. I've closed out a couple MMO's, but I'm not really wishing to do it again here.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 pm

ToR isn't giong to die, but it's rapidly pushing itself into niche game status.

I'm just...I have no words for my irritation right now. I KNOW I'm going to lose names in the change, and if I have to try to rename T'ony yet again....GRRRRR...and if I lose Furiel too...I just...yeah...MUCH irritation currently.

The Plush Family:

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 pm

The only consultation is the increase in character count to 12 and its totally not worth the headache this will cause for people.

I'm just hopefully I get as lucky as I did with the only ones affected where the random generated names but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Well that was quick.

Unrelated I've started enjoying the game again playing sith on backson, olyvia etc and doing FP.

However since the first move my faith in the durability of the game has increasingly been shaken. This does not help that sense of unease. I'm just gonna keep playing and then one day I won't when I stop having fun. And I'll start my own SWTOR with blackjack and hookers! Forget the blackjack, aww forget the whole thing. :woe:
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Sort of a sneak attack on this one, too. Am I reading correctly that tomorrow we'll be on yet another server?
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Yessir, you got it right...

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Yowza. I did love everything about the previous server merge, minus the name-related headaches. The quick groupfinder finds and stuff were a big plus however, hopefully this will be even more of a positive. Turmoil will abound to be sure, hopefully the names won't go too nuts. I do wish they'd give some priority to high-legacy characters. I think I'll be mostly OK if the recent test server merge was any indication.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19 pm

So something just clicked with me this evening, BW said they didn't care much about people playing on the high pop test server, which confused me until it hit me thus evening. That server was a lie, it wasn't to test population, it was to test their copy scripts for tonight.

The Plush Family:

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 pm

Keen deduction, Furiel!
-Skiggity, Sage DPS

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:27 pm

I have to ask is anyone surprised that the maintenance has been extended with no ETA.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Staris wrote:I have to ask is anyone surprised that the maintenance has been extended with no ETA.
:-| :-| :-| :-| :-|

The Plush Family:

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:42 pm

I wonder if they will start doing low pop server testing to see how things will be running in three months?
Cuspar