SWTOR going F2P this fall

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Vespasian
Cardinal
Re: SWTOR going F2P this fall

Post by Vespasian » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Blackferne wrote:It has been a bizarre year. The summary though is that Marrkin now is legally blind. Cuspar is pregnant. And somehow you are a district court judge.
And here I always thought Cuspar was a bitch.

Mostly because he's a Jets fan.
Cuspar eats dead people.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Furiel wrote:WoW has not gone fully F2P yet. You can play free up to level 20, but are capped there on essentially trial accounts.

And for all the concerns I mention I want to be clear like I've said before too, I'm not leaving any time soon if at all. I feel very confident that most or all of us will still be here in Dec of 2012 happily at level 55 and beating up the next tier raid mobs. It's whether or not that will still be true in Dec of 2013 that I am concerned about... And if I had a time machine I personally right now would use it to jump ahead a year and find out.

It has been a bizarre year. The summary though is that Marrkin now is legally blind. Cuspar is pregnant. And somehow you are a district court judge.
That's a $75 fine and time served!

*bangs gavel*

*learned everything he needs to know about how to be a judge by watching Night Court
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Furiel wrote:
*learned everything he needs to know about how to be a judge by watching Night Court
Whats night court? Is that like judge judy?
Cuspar eats dead people.

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 pm

I don't plan on going anywhere, but I wouldn't mind a cheaper plan after all this hits, like 15 for everything, 8 or so for a story tier (flashpoints and ops) and a pvp tier.

Since we don't have player houses or ships to decorate, I really don't need any other trinkets or anything, but like a room or something like Fable 2 or 3, where you can walk in and look at all the crap you have, and look at all your armor sets.

Romily
Altarsquid

Post by Romily » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:15 pm

I'd be very surprised if something like that doesn't come along soon after f2p lands, the model depends too much on vanity purchases not to have some sort of housing or display space.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
I have the death sentence in twelve systems?!

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:21 pm

I'd love to be able to decorate my ship...but not at the expense of no new content.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Bulwark wrote:I'd love to be able to decorate my ship...but not at the expense of no new content.
But that WILL be the new content. And that pretty much explains my biggest fear, is that they say going F2P is going to allow them to push out more content more frequently, but I fear that this "content" they speak of is going to be more and more crap in a cash store.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Romily
Altarsquid

Post by Romily » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:51 pm

It's a virtual certainty, but if they want to make ops pretty much the only sub perk they'll have to put something into it.

My only real experience with f2p is lotro and I think turbine has a better history with it than ea, but I don't think their endgame suffered too badly. And they've had plenty of content, both social and more traditional. I'm really hopeful that it will go that direction. Lotro has some "pay to win" elements in their cash shop but it's partly mitigated by the free cash shop currency that they give subscribers as a perk (which SWTOR will be doing too) and imo SWTOR is a good enough game to stand a little of that. /fingers crossed

I really hope ea goes that route. I'm planning to maintain my sub and keep raiding unless the game really tanks anyway.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:17 am

They pretty much said that the content dispatches will be more frequent just not as much per content. So no huge content patches. Instead We get a new raid. 6 weeks later we get a new warzone. 6 weeks later we get some crafting or social stuff. 6 weeks later we get a new FP. etc etc.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 am

But I will say this. If pay to win goes beyond the subscription price I'm pretty much out.
Jounville Blackferne

Romily
Altarsquid

Post by Romily » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:38 am

I wouldn't be surprised if we see things like time limited XP or legacy XP boosters and such like for power levelers, our something like Stims that raise your crafting crit rate for a while etc. even small permanent start boosts seem to be standard fare. As long as they're not required for reasonable success I'm cool with it. After all datacrons are small permanent stat boosts and I can't be arsed to get all the relevant ones of those either and it isn't hurting me. Stuff on that scale won't be game breaking for me. Much beyond that will hurt though. Cross your fingers i guess.

Romily
Altarsquid

Post by Romily » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 am

Sorry if I'm blabbing and monopolizing the thread, I'm interested in the speculation and snark isn't doing much talking beyond who's happy and who's mad and who's quitting and who's staying. Your thread is more fun for my imagination. :lol:

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:33 am

I hope one of the vanity objects you can buy is a toilet for your ship. I've been holding it since launch and I haven't seen a john yet. At least WoW was kind enough to put one in their expansion.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Bulwark wrote:I hope one of the vanity objects you can buy is a toilet for your ship. I've been holding it since launch and I haven't seen a john yet. At least WoW was kind enough to put one in their expansion.
WoW had an outhouse in Searing Gorge since launch.
Jounville Blackferne

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Another discussion created by SWTOR F2P; Do we limit guild recruitment to active subscribers, or will we accept free2players? Personally, and this is from a 6 month lowbie, I say if they're cool I want to game with them. Thoughts?
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Just because you don't give bioware any money doesn't mean you can't hang with us, imho.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:15 pm

I see no reason why we would not allow free account players to join. Alvis is after all a social entity first, and as such anyone that wants to join that fits in with the guild and our guild culture would and should be welcomed no matter what kind of account they have.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm in agreement with Furiel on this. Though they obviously can't run ops with us without a subscription at this time, we are social first and foremost.
Jounville Blackferne

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:41 pm

I hate it when we all agree. I want drama...DRAMA!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Go Alvis and all that.
Fyyn Cob

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Fynn wrote:I hate it when we all agree. I want drama...DRAMA!!!!!!!

Fyyn you are a horrible person and I regret ever taking you off global mute on vent. We are all worse off as a result.

That drama enough?

:twisted:
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Fynn wrote:I hate it when we all agree. I want drama...DRAMA!!!!!!!

Mr. Cob, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

The Plush Family:

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:07 pm

You want drama? Cuspar is pregnant....with Fyyn's lovechild!
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Skiggity wrote:You want drama? Cuspar is pregnant....with Fyyn's lovechild!
Common knowledge... :P
EDIT: The real drama will be the start of football season. No offspring of mine will cheer for those rotten, foot-loving Jets!
Furiel wrote:Mr. Cob, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Hahah. If peeing your pants is cool, consider Fyyn Miles Davis
Blackferne wrote:Fyyn you are a horrible person and I regret ever taking you off global mute on vent. We are all worse off as a result.

That drama enough?

:twisted:
Okay, that just got real...and now I'm sad.

Man, talk about your all-time backfires...
Fyyn Cob

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Fyyn I can't stay faux-mad at you. I was just playing. Seriously you are a great addition to Alvis and I have yet to hear one unkind thing about you since joining. And if I do that person will suffer as a result.
Jounville Blackferne

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:47 pm

Blackferne wrote:Fyyn I can't stay faux-mad at you. I was just playing. Seriously you are a great addition to Alvis and I have yet to hear one unkind thing about you since joining. And if I do that person will suffer as a result.
Yay!!! Now I'm not faux-sad!!! :rave:
Fyyn Cob