Bioware will release an "extra bit of info" at comic con*

Forum for discussion of topics related to Star Wars The Old Republic.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Bioware will release an "extra bit of info" at comic con*

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:38 pm

* the catch is they want more twitter followers and likes on their facebook page.

Sean Dahlberg just posted an interesting announcement on the official SW:TOR forums. Apparently, if we (the community) can help them achieve certain levels of followers on Facebook and Twitter, then we’ll get something special at Comic-Con (that we apparently will not get otherwise!)

Here’s the message:

Comic-Con International is almost upon us! You already know about the “Beyond Solo” panel being held on Friday, but we have something extra we want to announce during it. You’re going to work for this one, though. If we get at least 200,000 “Likes” on our Facebook page and 30,000 Followers on our Twitter page by Friday, July 23rd, 2010, we will bring you this cool reveal!

Well folks, you know what this means! Time to get your friends, your parents, your uncles, your gym teacher, your mayor and everyone in between up to speed on TOR, and why they should friend them on Facebook and follow on Twitter!

Ready…. GO!
http://www.askajedi.com/2010/07/14/spec ... comic-con/

http://www.facebook.com/starwarstheoldrepublic?v=wall

http://twitter.com/swtor
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Furiel
Cardinal

Re: Bioware will release an "extra bit of info" at comic con

Post by Furiel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Already a fan on FB so that's not an issue, and the fuck if I'm going to join twitter just to up their follower count. I can wait on the info if that's what it comes to...I have the patience of a hospital.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Which reminds me that the Church itself has a twitter account.

http://twitter.com/Church_of_Alvis

If you have a twitter account let me know so we can also follow you.
Jounville Blackferne

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:54 pm

Furiel wrote:Already a fan on FB so that's not an issue, and the fuck if I'm going to join twitter just to up their follower count. I can wait on the info if that's what it comes to...I have the patience of a hospital.
I only have the CoA twitter account because it is useful as an info distribution device, and if our blog goes as well as I think it will, there will be folks who prefer that as a link provider over your standard RSS feeds. Also I wanted to make sure we got our name instead of having to do some weird combo.

I do follow a few twitter feeds in my rss feeder already Conan O'Brien, shitmydadsays and DrunkHulk are the three I'd really recommend. No need for a twitter account to follow them. Though for Bioware's purpose I think it will only register twitter users.
Jounville Blackferne

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:01 pm

I think I already "like" it on FB, but not following anything on Twit(ter) - though I do read DrunkHulk occasionally I don't subscribe to or "follow" anything there and likely never will.

Shit like this makes me want to "unlike" them.

Gandolfini
Priest

Post by Gandolfini » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Blackferne wrote:Which reminds me that the Church itself has a twitter account.

Freebeer. I started following CoA
Spelt chick it fur putties!

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:15 pm

Sir Psyko wrote:I think I already "like" it on FB, but not following anything on Twit(ter) - though I do read DrunkHulk occasionally I don't subscribe to or "follow" anything there and likely never will.

It's all just a giant marketing ploy really. The more fans, followers, etc they can generate gives them bigger numbers they can take to the bigwigs to get more money for the game and allow them to influence other vendors/distributors/etc more because there is that much more "buzz" about it.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 pm

I think what Furiel is trying to say is:

The game being marketing, not SWTOR.
Jounville Blackferne

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Furiel wrote:
Sir Psyko wrote:I think I already "like" it on FB, but not following anything on Twit(ter) - though I do read DrunkHulk occasionally I don't subscribe to or "follow" anything there and likely never will.

It's all just a giant marketing ploy really. The more fans, followers, etc they can generate gives them bigger numbers they can take to the bigwigs to get more money for the game and allow them to influence other vendors/distributors/etc more because there is that much more "buzz" about it.
When a developer runs out of development money for a MMO they launch it so they get their income. Which they use to make more content rather than fix the game because the fee is supposed to cover content. It's only gotten worse in the last few years. The fanbase for ToR is similar to ST:O's in "devotion" and look at how that got screwed up. It's almost like Rick Berman had a hand in that game it was so filled with fail.

Creating more "buzz" about the game at this stage only leads me to believe there's problems... they're likely running out of money now and wanting to create more anticipation for a game that will launch unfinished, or worse... broken, so they can make back their investments.

/rant

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Sir Psyko wrote:
Furiel wrote:

When a developer runs out of development money for a MMO they launch it so they get their income. Which they use to make more content rather than fix the game because the fee is supposed to cover content. It's only gotten worse in the last few years. The fanbase for ToR is similar to ST:O's in "devotion" and look at how that got screwed up. It's almost like Rick Berman had a hand in that game it was so filled with fail.

Creating more "buzz" about the game at this stage only leads me to believe there's problems... they're likely running out of money now and wanting to create more anticipation for a game that will launch unfinished, or worse... broken, so they can make back their investments.

/rant
I see your point and the only response I can give, while kinda lame, is all I got, which is in Bioware we trust. They have yet to make a shit game and while there is always a first, I don't think this is going to be it. I hope not anyway. But if it is, at least it will be our shit game.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:07 pm

I'd give your theory credit except Bioware has much deeper pockets, and Lucas Arts is probably ponying up a decent dollar for this as well. I think Bioware learned from Blizzard, that if you want a mmo that won't be packing up servers 6 months after launch you need to have a polished product come launch. Everyone expects there to be the normal launch problems "server lag etc" but I have a hard time thinking that Bioware is short on cash at this point for this title.

The buzz is probably more about getting the launch numbers to be really spectacular so when people start saying "wowkiller" they might have the numbers to pull it off.
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:18 pm

You also have to remember that there is a 3 headed monster in charge of all of the updates and info releases. Deb the BW marketing chick, the LA marketing guy and Sean, so the two marketing people can easily push this down on Sean and make him do it even if he thinks it's a bad idea.

The Plush Family:

Sir Psyko
Priest

Post by Sir Psyko » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:31 pm

If they want buzz release some detailed information on the game. I'd like to know if there's going to be any crafting. I'm not wanting specifics on classes, weapons or anything like that but general game mechanics would be nice. And a group of 4 or 5 players (and sidekicks) is NOT "massive multi-player" so I'd like to see some actual large-scale combat, not the "tutorial" they released.

A launch date would be nice too.

Veela
Deacon

Post by Veela » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Gandolfini wrote:

Freebeer. I started following CoA
AndroidAshley
HeartlessJez
Veela
Bishop via Guild Banker | Sawbones | Black Magic Internet Witch

Yimayz
Priest

Post by Yimayz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:59 am

/followed and made a "The_greatest_things_EVER!" group just for Alvis

Leth
Priest

Post by Leth » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:45 am

Who.. or what is a "twitter"?
The Deacon of DPS