Opinions: re: House/dogsitters

A forum to discuss topics and issues outside of Star Wars The Old Republic. Warning: topics about Politics or Religion will be held to a higher standard of moderation due to the increased risk of flame wars. When in doubt be civil.
Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:26 am

Is it acceptable for a paid friend acting as a house/dogsitter to have overnight guests (ie significant other, but not married) without expressed permission?

Are daytime guests acceptable without specific permission?

Is it acceptable to have sex in a house you are a guest in (ie. Homeowners are present but obviously in a different room, not at all participating)? How about if you are housesitting and you have permission for the overnight guest?

Would you give permission for any of the above?

If you suspected a housesitter may do any of these things and have neither given nor would give permission to any of the above, would you use them anyway and give them the benefit of the doubt?

This is to settle a debate.

FYI, I say "no" to all questions but that's as the homeowner. I assume nearly everyone in the housesitter role would still do it even if they answered "no" to the questions.
Cuspar

Furiel
Cardinal

Re: Opinions: re: House/dogsitters

Post by Furiel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:41 am

Cuspar wrote:Is it acceptable for a paid friend acting as a house/dogsitter to have overnight guests (ie significant other, but not married) without expressed permission?
No, and I've had this happen to me once as well, so I have new ground rules I make sure to go over completely before I let anyone housesit.
Cuspar wrote:Are daytime guests acceptable without specific permission?
Yes. I already give permission anyway, but even without giving it I would not expect the person to be a total hermit, so having a couple friends over would be fine with me as long as they cleaned up after.
Cuspar wrote:Is it acceptable to have sex in a house you are a guest in (ie. Homeowners are present but obviously in a different room, not at all participating)? How about if you are housesitting and you have permission for the overnight guest?
I have to say yes because I've done it, but I'm a total hippocrit in that I wouldn't give anyone permission to do so if they were watching my house, and I'd actually request they did not.
Cuspar wrote:Would you give permission for any of the above?
Yes obviously, because I gave a couple yes' and I've already demonstrated some of my hipocrisy as well, and I'm OK with that.
Cuspar wrote:If you suspected a housesitter may do any of these things and have neither given nor would give permission to any of the above, would you use them anyway and give them the benefit of the doubt?

FYI, I say "no" to all questions but that's as the homeowner. I assume nearly everyone in the housesitter role would still do it even if they answered "no" to the questions.
If I thought said housesitter would not respect the house rules I set then I would not use them because if I thought they were not going ot respect the rules above then I'm not going to trust them to to take care of my house and my dog the way I asked them to either and I'm not putting those to things in the hands of someone I don't trust.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:47 am

Cuspar wrote:Is it acceptable for a paid friend acting as a house/dogsitter to have overnight guests (ie significant other, but not married) without expressed permission?

Are daytime guests acceptable without specific permission?

Is it acceptable to have sex in a house you are a guest in (ie. Homeowners are present but obviously in a different room, not at all participating)? How about if you are housesitting and you have permission for the overnight guest?

Would you give permission for any of the above?

If you suspected a housesitter may do any of these things and have neither given nor would give permission to any of the above, would you use them anyway and give them the benefit of the doubt?

1) is it over several days? That colors it a bit but without expressed permission I would say No. And I hope they aren't sleeping in you bed. However, even paid for, I would allow someone to have a significant other over.

2) Yes. It's daytime as long as nothing is broken, stolen or permanently damaged.

3) not really ok, but it's unlikely many people would stop themselves, nature finds a way? And absolutely acceptable if you are housesitting and have informed the owners you will have company. Clean the sheets when you get home.

4) Yes, and I have. I have little interest in what people do in my house if they aren't my kid (I can say that now). We always put on clean sheets and look the other way. Especially with friends and family that are staying over or house sitting. This situation would be completely different if they were babysitting, yet still what is done behind closed doors when their no longer responsible for anything but sleeping, what they do is their business. Clean the freaking sheets.

5) no. Especially if I was concerned they would not follow my wishes. It breaks the intrinsic trust you put in someone to be in your home and abide by your rules.

At the end of the day you really can't stop anyone from breaking that rule, and in my less than humble opinion it's probably never a good topic to discuss. If they are friends and you trust they are respectful (why else would you hire them?) I don't believe any of their private actions will get in the way of their duties and obligations to you.

Go Team "Bone on Cuspars Bed"
This... I Command!

Takanudo
Scribe

Post by Takanudo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:50 am

I'm going to say yes, so long as they are clean and leave no sign of their overnight presence.
Cuspar wrote:Are daytime guests acceptable without specific permission?
Same as above.
Cuspar wrote:Is it acceptable to have sex in a house you are a guest in (ie. Homeowners are present but obviously in a different room, not at all participating)? How about if you are housesitting and you have permission for the overnight guest?
This gets a little dicey. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't hold it against a couple if they did. I don't know how the whole permission thing would work. That sounds like a conversation filled with all kinds of awkward.

"Hey, Tak, you mind if I plow my girlfriend when I stay over tonight?"

"Um, ok. Just remember to burn the bed when you're done with it."
Cuspar wrote:Would you give permission for any of the above?
See awkward conversation above.
Cuspar wrote:If you suspected a housesitter may do any of these things and have neither given nor would give permission to any of the above, would you use them anyway and give them the benefit of the doubt?
It depends on how good they are at cleaning up after themselves. If I suspected something, then they probably weren't clean enough.

"This isn't my sploodge."

I would probably lean toward saying no in this case.
Cuspar wrote:This is to settle a debate.

This all comes from the perspective of a renter. I may feel different when I actually own a home.

-Takanudo (respects a sploodge free environment)

Arrican
Deacon

Post by Arrican » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:22 am

My response to cuspar before he logged off of chat - Can I get done fucking my neighbors dog at his house while he's in the living room first?

Seriously anything in my house except my bed, couch, kitchen counters, and dining room table are fair game. Just clean up the bodily fluids with a 3:1 bleach mixture.

Arrican
Deacon

Post by Arrican » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:25 am

Takanudo wrote: "Hey, Tak, you mind if I plow my girlfriend when I stay over tonight?"

"Um, ok. Just remember to burn the bed when you're done with it."
Do you really make real people call you Tak?

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:50 pm

As long as nothing is broken, stolen or died as a result of the additional people at the house, and it was cleaned up afterwards I don't really have a problem. I'd probably ask that no more than a couple friends over at a time though.

Also joking about having a nanny cam at various places (but not saying if that was in fact true) might discourage behavior you don't want.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm

If I find out about it, I'm gonna nail their ass to the wall.

Moral of the story: Don't let me find out about it.

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:36 pm

If I'm letting a friend stay in my house to dogsit, even if paid, means that I trust them to be grown adults and to act as such. A few friends over, shagging, I don't care as long as I don't have to clean it up, the police, emts, or fire department doesn't get called to my house, my shits not broken or stolen, and I'm not responsible for any podlings that may or may not stem from said shagging.

I'd have a bigger problem if people came into my house and were doing blow, meth, or smoking in my house.
Cuspar eats dead people.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Vespasian wrote:If I'm letting a friend stay in my house to dogsit, even if paid, means that I trust them to be grown adults and to act as such. A few friends over, shagging, I don't care as long as I don't have to clean it up, the police, emts, or fire department doesn't get called to my house, my shits not broken or stolen, and I'm not responsible for any podlings that may or may not stem from said shagging.

I'd have a bigger problem if people came into my house and were doing blow, meth, or smoking in my house.
:yeahthat: :qferave:
Jounville Blackferne

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 pm

I think it's time to consider that I may be mentally ill.

My rage level with this comes from the fact that the last time we used her, I deciphered after the fact that her boyfriend was likely at our place. Now, AFAIK, he IS a nice guy but the fact remains that she NEVER made any inquiry as to whether or not it was ok if he was over. That, right there, took a giant shit on my trust level. The way I see it is:

- she lives with her parents
- he has his own place somewhere else
- my house is pretty fucking sweet
- I'm hiring her to dogsit, NOT play house with her boyfriend and get paid to do it which is absolutely what happens if he's there
- we all KNOW that if we were in the same situation, we would 100% try and bone on every piece of furniture in the house (this is an indisputable fact)
- I don't like people taking liberties with my stuff - ie. I don't mind if the house sitter watches a movie, but I don't want her boyfriend playing my PS3
- I don't like people touching my stuff (so the dogsitter is already a stretch for me)
- I don't like people touching my stuff
- and finally, I don't like people touching my stuff
Cuspar

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:55 pm

sounds like you need a kennel.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Cuspar, can I touch your "stuff"?
Jounville Blackferne

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Cuspar wrote:I think it's time to consider that I may be mentally ill.

My rage level with this comes from the fact that the last time we used her, I deciphered after the fact that her boyfriend was likely at our place. Now, AFAIK, he IS a nice guy but the fact remains that she NEVER made any inquiry as to whether or not it was ok if he was over. That, right there, took a giant shit on my trust level. The way I see it is:

- she lives with her parents
- he has his own place somewhere else
- my house is pretty fucking sweet
- I'm hiring her to dogsit, NOT play house with her boyfriend and get paid to do it which is absolutely what happens if he's there
- we all KNOW that if we were in the same situation, we would 100% try and bone on every piece of furniture in the house (this is an indisputable fact)
- I don't like people taking liberties with my stuff - ie. I don't mind if the house sitter watches a movie, but I don't want her boyfriend playing my PS3
- I don't like people touching my stuff (so the dogsitter is already a stretch for me)
- I don't like people touching my stuff
- and finally, I don't like people touching my stuff
IMHO you're naive to expect her not to have her man over and it's up to you to ask if she's having people over and to lay out your ground rules. If there is anything that you specifically don't want anyone to shag on you need to find a way to either put it in a locked room or covered with something disposable.

You need to get over your fear social anxiety. You have a podling. You're going to have babysitters, kids, parents, lots of people in your house. Your podling is going to touch things, put things in mouths, break things. I'd see a therapist, ASAP.
Cuspar eats dead people.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:37 pm

Vespasian wrote:
IMHO you're naive to expect her not to have her man over and it's up to you to ask if she's having people over and to lay out your ground rules. If there is anything that you specifically don't want anyone to shag on you need to find a way to either put it in a locked room or covered with something disposable.

You need to get over your fear social anxiety. You have a podling. You're going to have babysitters, kids, parents, lots of people in your house. Your podling is going to touch things, put things in mouths, break things. I'd see a therapist, ASAP.
I agree that it's naive not to expect a boyfriend over - but that doesn't make it ok for her to do it without asking. The onus is completely on her to ask. It would be 180 degrees different if we weren't paying her.

And I'm ok with what my kid does and the things that having him entails. He can do whatever he wants. It's his house. And there's ZERO chance that anyone not 100% trusted (ie. our parents/immediate family members) EVER babysit. Because if someone broke my trust while in charge of my son, I'd fucking rip their spines out.

I figured few would agree with me, but I'm pretty shocked about how many people are ok with visitors fucking in their house. IMNSHO, it's the most disrespectful thing you can do in someone else's home (other than obvious stuff like having parties, shitting in the fish tank, etc.)... As houseguests, you should be able to control your penis/vagina and get over the "thrill" of fucking in someone else's house. As a housesitter, you shouldn't make yourself THAT at home. Clearly, just my opinion, and not a popular one. Puritanical? Maybe. But it IS my house.
Cuspar

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Cuspar wrote:
Vespasian wrote:

I agree that it's naive not to expect a boyfriend over - but that doesn't make it ok for her to do it without asking. The onus is completely on her to ask. It would be 180 degrees different if we weren't paying her.

And I'm ok with what my kid does and the things that having him entails. He can do whatever he wants. It's his house. And there's ZERO chance that anyone not 100% trusted (ie. our parents/immediate family members) EVER babysit. Because if someone broke my trust while in charge of my son, I'd fucking rip their spines out.

I figured few would agree with me, but I'm pretty shocked about how many people are ok with visitors fucking in their house. IMNSHO, it's the most disrespectful thing you can do in someone else's home (other than obvious stuff like having parties, shitting in the fish tank, etc.)... As houseguests, you should be able to control your penis/vagina and get over the "thrill" of fucking in someone else's house. As a housesitter, you shouldn't make yourself THAT at home. Clearly, just my opinion, and not a popular one. Puritanical? Maybe. But it IS my house.
Damn dude...you know that there are other sexual positions other than missionary, right?

But I do understand where you're coming from. I guess my friends are all above the level that yours apparently is. I don't mind if they play my console, but I have my computer locked down so that no one plays on it (Plus I don't want them snooping around on it). As far as sexual thrills go, if she's not mature enough to respect that boundary, then you might want to look at having someone else dogsit or putting the dogs in the backyard and only letting her have access to the garage or something.
Last edited by Happyclam on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeezbus
Priest

Post by Jeezbus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:49 pm

two questions;

1: is she hot?

2: how many webcams do you have?

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Happyclam wrote: Damn dude...you know that there are other sexual positions other than missionary, right?

But I do understand where you're coming from. I guess my friends are all above the level that yours apparently is. I don't mind if they play my console, but I have my computer locked down so that no one plays on it (Plus I don't want them snooping around on it). As far as sexual thrills go, if she's not mature enough to respect that boundary, then you might want to look at having someone else dogsit or putting the dogs in the backyard and only letting her have access to the garage or something.
Definitely. But those (and any) positions are for people's own homes/hotels. ONLY.

And I have no idea if she's mature enough to respect that boundary - I just know how the human sexual brain works and assume that if her boyfriend is over (day or night) that they are likely fucking. On a bias of probability, I'm not ok with what she MIGHT do with her boyfriend if he's there. Because I have the easy (relatively) alternative of getting my parents to take the dog to their house (which is ideal for neither dog nor parents), it's not even worth it to ask her but have to add caveats and rules which may offend her or her parents (who we are very good friends with). (FYI, she is 28.)
Cuspar

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Jeezbus wrote:two questions;

1: is she hot?

2: how many webcams do you have?
/imagines Jeezbus as housesitter
/reconsiders current housesitter
Cuspar

Dood
Deacon

Post by Dood » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Vespasian wrote:If I'm letting a friend stay in my house to dogsit, even if paid, means that I trust them to be grown adults and to act as such. A few friends over, shagging, I don't care as long as I don't have to clean it up, the police, emts, or fire department doesn't get called to my house, my shits not broken or stolen, and I'm not responsible for any podlings that may or may not stem from said shagging.

:yeahthat: :qferave:
QFE
fFormerly fknown as fDood.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:15 pm

http://www.thechurchofalvis.com/images/ ... sitter.JPG

I'll just leave that rage comic there. May be slightly NSFW (content nothing explicit)
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Cuspar wrote:
Vespasian wrote:

Yeah, and are you the only one who lived there? Are you the only one that's EVER going to live there? Maybe you did have you're house build just for you, but if you didn't then guess what...some else has fucked in that house. And unless it burns down while you are still living there someone other than you is going to fuck in that house again. So why does it matter if it happens while you are still living there, but not home?

The more we've talked about this the more my thoughts have moved off my initial position toward being OK with people doing what they want as long as they have the decency to a) not tell me about it and b) clean up after themselves. When I have people watch my house I tell them to make themselves at home, and if that means they plow their wife/gf/mistress/pet (as long as it's not mine) while I'm gone, as long as they clean up after and I can't tell it happened more power to them. What is really more disrespectful, them doing the deed, or you trying to control them and their behaviors by telling them they can't?
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Cuspar wrote:
Happyclam wrote: Damn dude...you know that there are other sexual positions other than missionary, right?

Definitely. But those (and any) positions are for people's own homes/hotels. ONLY.

And I have no idea if she's mature enough to respect that boundary - I just know how the human sexual brain works and assume that if her boyfriend is over (day or night) that they are likely fucking. On a bias of probability, I'm not ok with what she MIGHT do with her boyfriend if he's there. Because I have the easy (relatively) alternative of getting my parents to take the dog to their house (which is ideal for neither dog nor parents), it's not even worth it to ask her but have to add caveats and rules which may offend her or her parents (who we are very good friends with). (FYI, she is 28.)
Why would you be worrying about offending her/her parents by laying down rules for /your/ property? That's like saying I don't want to offend the homeless guy eyeing my daughter by telling him to fuck off. If /you/ don't want things happening with /your/ stuff, it is /your/ responsibility to let others know, otherwise anything goes, including using /your/ toothbrush as a sexual aid to clean her anus.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Cuspar wrote: And there's ZERO chance that anyone not 100% trusted (ie. our parents/immediate family members) EVER babysit. Because if someone broke my trust while in charge of my son, I'd fucking rip their spines out.
Also I'm disappointed you wouldn't trust me to watch Ellis. I would trust you to watch Gabby. I'd trust you for 2 reasons, #1 you have a kid of your own so you understand how to deal with them and how upset I would be if anything happened. And #2 cuz you know I'd pull out one of your eyeballs and skullfuck the socket if you let anything happened to her.

The Plush Family:

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:36 pm

How about this sign waiting at the front door?

Cuspar