Game of Thrones Discussion Thread ***Spoilers Abound***

A forum to discuss topics and issues outside of Star Wars The Old Republic. Warning: topics about Politics or Religion will be held to a higher standard of moderation due to the increased risk of flame wars. When in doubt be civil.
Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:37 am

It's here, it's spectacular, and here's our discussion thread. Don't bother with spoiler tags because if you haven't already read the books... Piss off and go read them.

My take on episode 1...

The characters are amazing portrayals. For the most part, they are exactly as I pictured them. Some comments:
Ned - bang on
The Stark boys - bang on
Jon Snow - perfect
Arya - perfect
Sansa - something wasn't quite right, but I can't put my finger on it
Catelynn - perfect. Already picturing her walking around... Um... Dead.
Robert - perfect
Cersei - not hot enough
Tyrion - pretty damn good. Something about Peter Dinklage with blond hair was odd.
Daenerys - great
Viserys - probably the closest to my minds eye of all the characters. Just a perfect worm of a character.
Jamie - the least close to my minds eye. I kept thinking it was Nathan Fillion.
Drogo - again, pretty much perfect.
Jorah Mormont - a little less weathered than I'd pictured him
Joffrey - what a twerp
Illyrio - perfect
Then Greyjoy - tiny part, but did well to set him up (as a snake)

Other notes

- they really made a point of NOT making Daenerys' age known
- the dragon eggs looked lame
- wasn't Ned already at King's Landing when Bran fell??
- the Godswood tree was underwhelming
- the pacing was really good - it didn't feel rushed. I assume people who haven't read the books were totally lost though. - My wife quit watching 3 minutes in. She is more bothered than most by dismembered heads.
- generally, I was thrilled with the fidelity to the book. I can't wait for next week.

Soon to happen things I'm looking most forward to:
- the three eyed raven
- intro of the Hound
- Syrio
- the dragon skeletons
- how creepy they make Mirri Maz Duur (sp?)
:rave:

-
-
-
Cuspar

Gandolfini
Priest

Re: Game of Thrones Discussion Thread ***Spoilers Abound***

Post by Gandolfini » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:54 am

Cuspar wrote:the dragon eggs looked lame
I agree with the dragon eggs. C'mon, scales on an egg?
Cuspar wrote:wasn't Ned already at King's Landing when Bran fell
No. I remember thinking that Ned was selfish for going off to King's Landing and abandoning his family.
Cuspar wrote: I assume people who haven't read the books were totally lost though.
I'm not so sure. While they crammed a lot into the pilot, I think some people will stick. At the very least to see what happens to Bran next week.

There were a lot of beheadings. And on that note... :fett:
Spelt chick it fur putties!

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:51 pm

This is the one time I regret cutting the cord, besides my birth.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Raikir wrote:This is the one time I regret cutting the cord, besides my birth.
Please explain further. Not your birth. The first part!
Cuspar

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Cuspar wrote:
I'm going to speculate here and say he is regretting giving up HBO, or maybe cable/sattelite completely...
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Furiel wrote:
Cuspar wrote:
I'm going to speculate here and say he is regretting giving up HBO, or maybe cable/sattelite completely...
No cable/satellite. Just OTA and Netflix.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Raikir wrote:
Furiel wrote:
Cuspar wrote:
I kept my HBO just for this. Are you watching it on the... um... undernet?
Cuspar

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Cuspar wrote:
Raikir wrote:
Furiel wrote:
Cuspar wrote:
I kept my HBO just for this. Are you watching it on the... um... undernet?
I AM wearing fish-net underwear. Yes.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Kitoshi
Priest

Post by Kitoshi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 pm

We've never had the cord... Just our complementary copy with the purchase of the interwebs... :Shifty:

But it was pretty sweet. Can't wait for next week.

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:32 am

Kitoshi wrote:We've never had the cord... Just our complementary copy with the purchase of the interwebs... :Shifty:
thief! :lightsaber:

Kitoshi
Priest

Post by Kitoshi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 am

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:21 am

Sansa isn't how I pictured her, though she is pretty still. Jon Snow looks a little too boyish to me.

I can't wait to see how the direwolves (especially Ghost) turn out. I'm also eager to see more of the Hound.

Catelyn Stark looks too old, I think Lena Heady would have been better cast as her. She doesn't really radiate beauty like Cersei was supposed to.

I too, was disappointed in the eggs. If I remember correctly, they were supposed to look like swirling marble. At least they got the colors right.

The walkers were effin perfect.

The godswood and winterfell's heart tree seemed about right. But, I'll hold judgement until I see the face.

I'm still hyped as fuck. I'm eager to see Viserys get his "crown of gold" in the next episode and hopefully Balerion's skeleton will look as menacing as I imagined it.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Kitoshi
Priest

Post by Kitoshi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:48 am

I agree with Raikir, I thought Catelyn looked too weathered. I pictured here being beautiful, just more subtle about it than Cersie. Sansa seemed... Different somehow. The eggs were okay, I imagined them more as jeweled rather than scaled.

As for the Rob and Jon, Jon looks as I had pictured him but Rob seems older than I thought. I had imagined them both about 17ish. Maybe the book said they were older, it's been so long since I've read them.

Aside from those small things I feel this is the best book adaptation I've ever seen. I'm very happy with it so far.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:39 pm

Kitoshi wrote:IAs for the Rob and Jon, Jon looks as I had pictured him but Rob seems older than I thought. I had imagined them both about 17ish. Maybe the book said they were older, it's been so long since I've read them.
They adjusted the ages, according to a blog I read, so there was less... um... need for "To Catch a Predator".

As for Cersei, Raikir is right. She definitely doesn't "radiate beauty". She's an attractive older woman, but I think every person who read these books had a VERY sexy picture of Cersei in mind.

The "Crown of Gold" is gonna be great. I'm scared that Balerion is going to be a let down...
Cuspar

Dodd Formeianna
Priest

Post by Dodd Formeianna » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Cuspar wrote:The pacing was really good - it didn't feel rushed. I assume people who haven't read the books were totally lost though. - My wife quit watching 3 minutes in. She is more bothered than most by dismembered heads.
I am probably one of the only ones who hasn't read these books yet. They looked very political to me, which was a deterrent from reading these - I have plenty of politics daily in the corporate sector...but the show may turn me back towards picking them up.

That being said I found the show interesting, although I was admittedly a bit lost. The production value of this show alone is likely going to keep me hooked to see what happens next. Incidentally - the queen - who was she fornicating with in the tower at the end?

Gandolfini
Priest

Post by Gandolfini » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Dodd Formeianna wrote:
Cuspar wrote:The pacing was really good - it didn't feel rushed. I assume people who haven't read the books were totally lost though. - My wife quit watching 3 minutes in. She is more bothered than most by dismembered heads.
I am probably one of the only ones who hasn't read these books yet. They looked very political to me, which was a deterrent from reading these - I have plenty of politics daily in the corporate sector...but the show may turn me back towards picking them up.

That being said I found the show interesting, although I was admittedly a bit lost. The production value of this show alone is likely going to keep me hooked to see what happens next. Incidentally - the queen - who was she fornicating with in the tower at the end?
Her brother.

Kitoshi
Priest

Post by Kitoshi » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:15 am

Season 2 has been signed.

Dodd Formeianna
Priest

Post by Dodd Formeianna » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Gandolfini wrote:
Dodd Formeianna wrote:

Her brother.
Whoa - incest.

Gandolfini
Priest

Post by Gandolfini » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Dodd Formeianna wrote:
Gandolfini wrote:
Dodd Formeianna wrote:

Her brother.
Whoa - incest.
That was the reason Bran was tossed out the window.

That was when this writer was a bit different. He has no problem fucking up or killing a major character to move the story along.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Gandolfini wrote: That was when this writer was a bit different. He has no problem fucking up or killing a major character to move the story along.
Uhhh. Most recent book in series = Feast for Crows. Feast for Crows = Red Wedding. Just sayin'.
Cuspar

Roza
Priest

Post by Roza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:54 pm

Cuspar wrote:
Gandolfini wrote: That was when this writer was a bit different. He has no problem fucking up or killing a major character to move the story along.
Uhhh. Most recent book in series = Feast for Crows. Feast for Crows = Red Wedding. Just sayin'.
You sure? I would have bet my life that this particular scene was in the third book...

Roza
Priest

Post by Roza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Yep. I checked. Its in a Storm of Swords.

I remember because that was probably the single most unbelievable, painful, memorable scene of the series for me thus far.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:02 am

I stand corrected. My point was just that GRRM doesn't shy away from killin' a man. Or dozens of men.

There have to have been notable deaths in AFFC.
Cuspar

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:11 pm

My thoughts on episode 2:

The direwolves just aren't big enough. If i remember correctly, they were already full grown by this time in the story. I know that in order to make them bigger, they would probably have to emplou some heavy CGI, which would kind of cheapen the production. But, IMO, having them appear as normal wolves, albeit smart, kind of takes away from the story.

Joffrey's portrayal is perfect. I cant stand the little shit.

The Hound is good. Cant wait to see the byplay between him and Sansa.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Arrican
Deacon

Post by Arrican » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:18 pm

God I want to throw that little blonde haired twit off the fucking wall of the north... covered in whatever the white walkers would consider a condiment... fucker...

Everything else has been dead on, and I'm fucking enthralled. If they could pull this shit off with wheel of time I'd probably just quit my job and get sent to a jail /w HBO.