Pacific Rim

A forum to discuss topics and issues outside of Star Wars The Old Republic. Warning: topics about Politics or Religion will be held to a higher standard of moderation due to the increased risk of flame wars. When in doubt be civil.
Dashl
Cardinal
Pacific Rim

Post by Dashl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:09 am

Watch and enjoy.

Bulwark
Cardinal

Re: Pacific Rim

Post by Bulwark » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:08 pm

I've heard it is amazing. I can't wait to take Bulwark Jr. To see it.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 am

So awesome.
Cuspar

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:18 am

More exciting footage before the opening title than most other movies manage in their entirety, and it only got better from there. Some flaws, to be sure, and a few goofy characters, but if I'd seen Pacific Rim when I was 11 my room would have been swarming with Jaeger toys. Gonna go see it again in IMAX now that I'm back home. The 3D was exceptionally well done too. ILM is getting all the academy awards this year for VFX.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:34 pm

OK so I watched this last night, and I have to agree with Skig about it makin me feel all childlike again. Just too awesome. I liked the goofy characters, as they did their job in offsetting the tension of the rest of the movie.

My only issue is that this just makes me want more.

First thing that came to mind.... if they can make this, then someone had better get their butt's to working on a damn Gundam Wing movie of this type!

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Marrkin wrote:OK so I watched this last night, and I have to agree with Skig about it makin me feel all childlike again. Just too awesome. I liked the goofy characters, as they did their job in offsetting the tension of the rest of the movie.

My only issue is that this just makes me want more.

First thing that came to mind.... if they can make this, then someone had better get their butt's to working on a damn Gundam Wing movie of this type!

I hate you sooo much right now that I am unable to watch a Gundam Wing moive like Pacific Rim.

TimmySchneeks
Priest

Post by TimmySchneeks » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:58 pm

This + imax + 3D = mind blown. Haven't had that much fun at the movies in a long time. Lot of over-the-top cliche nonsense that would've gotten a groan anywhere else but somehow it just works here. A++ would watch again/buy the blu-ray packaged with collectible robots with
Spoiler:
giant secret retractable arm-sword that's totally awesome
TimmySchneeks | Boccior - Gunslinger | Qixx - Sage Healer | Lagdalen - Guardian Tank | Tom'Mato - Vanguard DPS | Käylëë - Sentinel

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Spoiler:
I know, while watching it I thought they needed swords, and ten minutes later they get a sword!

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Dashl wrote:
Spoiler:
I know, while watching it I thought they needed swords, and ten minutes later they get a sword!
Spoiler:
When the first used the sword I was all "why didn't you guys use that like ALL THE TIME"?
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Dashl wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
When the first used the sword I was all "why didn't you guys use that like ALL THE TIME"?
Spoiler:
Because he had a mother fucking plama cannon! I'm sorry but if you give me the choice between a sword and a plasma cannon I'm choosing the cannon eleventy billion times out of 100.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Furiel wrote:
Blackferne wrote:
Dashl wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Because he had a mother fucking plama cannon! I'm sorry but if you give me the choice between a sword and a plasma cannon I'm choosing the cannon eleventy billion times out of 100.
Spoiler:
Well yea but even though using the ship as a sword was cool, I was confused as to why they didn't use the swords then.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:31 pm

Staris wrote:
Furiel wrote:
Blackferne wrote:
Dashl wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Well yea but even though using the ship as a sword was cool, I was confused as to why they didn't use the swords then.
Spoiler:
I think it's cuz the guy didn't know the swords existed at that point. I remember him saying they were out of ammo and they were screwed then the chick said no and the swords appeared so I think that the swords were an upgrade that was made while the dude was away and his Jeager was being rebuilt.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm embarrassed to say, but I was a little disappointed...
Spoiler:
I saw it in 3D, and I think they added so much environment (rain, smoke, etc) that it was hard to see the robots in all their glory.
I also think they focused on the less important parts of the story. I would have much rather seen the progression of the bots over the first few years and the original fights and them discovering the monsters, rift, etc.
I also would have liked to see a lot more about the drivers/bots from the other countries, rather than a 30 second intro full of stereotypes and a 3 minute fight.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Bulwark wrote:I'm embarrassed to say, but I was a little disappointed...
Spoiler:
I saw it in 3D, and I think they added so much environment (rain, smoke, etc) that it was hard to see the robots in all their glory.
I also think they focused on the less important parts of the story. I would have much rather seen the progression of the bots over the first few years and the original fights and them discovering the monsters, rift, etc.
I also would have liked to see a lot more about the drivers/bots from the other countries, rather than a 30 second intro full of stereotypes and a 3 minute fight.
I would concur with all of those points actually, nothing to be embarrassed about that. I wouldn't necessarily say that was a disappointment other than maybe point 1, but yes, I would have enjoyed those additional parts as well.

The Plush Family:

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 pm

@Bulwark
Spoiler:
I think a lot of the praise on this is because it is something new and not a reboot,sequel, or rebooted sequel (though I do love my Star Wars/Trek/DC/Marvel films). My friend Bruce said after the movie "you know this doesn't add up" and he had a list of like 15 things that were minor irritants. But your points about essentially needs more world building I think is correct.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:08 pm

Bulwark wrote:I'm embarrassed to say, but I was a little disappointed...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I did wonder leaving the theatre if/when they would fill in on the skipped over years of that in and how so book, games, comic, or movie.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 pm

There is a graphic novel called "Tales from Year Zero" that fills in some of the back story. The rumors also lean to there being prequels coming...
Cuspar