Man of Steel

A forum to discuss topics and issues outside of Star Wars The Old Republic. Warning: topics about Politics or Religion will be held to a higher standard of moderation due to the increased risk of flame wars. When in doubt be civil.
Fynn
Priest
Man of Steel

Post by Fynn » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:51 am

If you didn't have the chance to grab tickets at Wal-Mart for the early viewing tonight, go tomorrow. That good.

Now to preface this, I have to say I'm a Superman nut. I love the big blue boyscout. I've also read the mediocre/bad reviews before heading out and that may have tempered my expectations a bit. I really wanted to love it, though. And I did.

I've read a few reviews that were meh. Most of which said it was "too much action", "convoluted plot", "Strange pacing", "no HOPE". I really didn't see/feel any of that. I want to keep it spoiler free, so I'll just leave it this way: If you can forget about the Donner films, this will blow your mind. If you expect a Chris Reeve clone, re-watch "Superman Returns". As a matter of fact, it may make you appreciate "MoS" even MORE! It hit all the right points but was action packed. If anyone is in Southern New England and wants to go, I'd go again in a second!

EDIT: I can certainly give a more in-depth review if you guys want, but I figured the old "Thumbs up" was enough.
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Dashl
Cardinal

Re: Man of Steel

Post by Dashl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:53 am

I just got back from the Wal Mart screening. I loved it, I can see how a few things will piss some people off, but it did need to go in a new direction. Tons of destruction in this.

My Edit: I do have 2 complaints, but I can get over it.

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:24 am

Spoiler:
Okay things I didn't like. Everyone knows Superman is Clark Kent, yet at the end he wants to use Clark as his disguise. Lois knowing is cool, skips a lot of stupid things they had to hide that over the years. However, IHOP manager knows, the town of Smallville (what is left of Smallville anyway) and even the cop that drove Lois to the Kent house while Superman is at the house knows. Not to mention whenever she could, she called him Clark while he was in the suit.

Second thing, which is kind of two parts, is that Superman kills Zod. Now, they had it set up where that was the only way to stop him, and he had to do it, but this is Superman, and he would have found another way. The second part of this is all the destruction of two towns, it seems Superman didn't care about all the damage he was doing, and the possible deaths it caused. Kind of like 1989 Batman, everyone loves it, until you realize that Batman murders everyone (and more in Batman Returns). Batman is not supposed to kill, and neither is Superman. I did like seeing a ton of action, since all he did in the last movie, which I hate, was lift things.

You had to look quick, but that was a Wayne Tech logo on the satellite Zod destroys.
Dr. Emil Hamilton from Smallville had a scene with the movie Dr. Emil Hamilton. Amy Adams was in Smallville, and Old Clone Lex Luthor from Smallville was Zod's scientist Henchman.
I sat through the end credits, but no Marvel style post credit scene, so don't wase any time waiting for one when you go.

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:21 pm

Dashl wrote:
Spoiler:
Okay things I didn't like. Everyone knows Superman is Clark Kent, yet at the end he wants to use Clark as his disguise. Lois knowing is cool, skips a lot of stupid things they had to hide that over the years. However, IHOP manager knows, the town of Smallville (what is left of Smallville anyway) and even the cop that drove Lois to the Kent house while Superman is at the house knows. Not to mention whenever she could, she called him Clark while he was in the suit.

Second thing, which is kind of two parts, is that Superman kills Zod. Now, they had it set up where that was the only way to stop him, and he had to do it, but this is Superman, and he would have found another way. The second part of this is all the destruction of two towns, it seems Superman didn't care about all the damage he was doing, and the possible deaths it caused. Kind of like 1989 Batman, everyone loves it, until you realize that Batman murders everyone (and more in Batman Returns). Batman is not supposed to kill, and neither is Superman. I did like seeing a ton of action, since all he did in the last movie, which I hate, was lift things.

You had to look quick, but that was a Wayne Tech logo on the satellite Zod destroys.
Dr. Emil Hamilton from Smallville had a scene with the movie Dr. Emil Hamilton. Amy Adams was in Smallville, and Old Clone Lex Luthor from Smallville was Zod's scientist Henchman.
I sat through the end credits, but no Marvel style post credit scene, so don't wase any time waiting for one when you go.
Spoiler:
I agree, Lois knowing Clark is Superman is pretty cool, and Pete knowing is pretty lame. You could argue that the other characters mentioned PROBABLY know, but you could also argue they don't. One of those superhero machinima things. I can live with that!

Superman killing isn't anything new. As a matter of fact, it really is part of his history. Heck, you could argue Superman kills Zod (yup) at the end of Superman II. I know there were scenes shot with "Arctic Police", but they weren't used in either the theatrical release or the Donner cut. Not used=didn't happen. Sure, you never see Zod, Non, or Ursa die but come on! Heck That's three Vs one. I agree it wasn't entirely necessary, but I think it was used as his final act of commitment to humanity. It may also set up some interesting issue in a sequel. I can live with it. I understand some of the musings, but people losing their top over it makes me scratch my head (not implying you are Dashl).
That said, I COMPLETELY agree that he was a bit lazy with urban protection. He smashed EVERYTHING! That seemed more than a little careless, enough so that I said it to my wife on the car ride home and she completely agreed.

I LOVED the Easter egg stuff. One more nod was at the final battle Zod throws Superman through a pair of Gas trucks with "Lexcorp" plastered on the side.
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:25 am

That was awesome.
Cuspar

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Fynn wrote:
Dashl wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I agree, Lois knowing Clark is Superman is pretty cool, and Pete knowing is pretty lame. You could argue that the other characters mentioned PROBABLY know, but you could also argue they don't. One of those superhero machinima things. I can live with that!

Superman killing isn't anything new. As a matter of fact, it really is part of his history. Heck, you could argue Superman kills Zod (yup) at the end of Superman II. I know there were scenes shot with "Arctic Police", but they weren't used in either the theatrical release or the Donner cut. Not used=didn't happen. Sure, you never see Zod, Non, or Ursa die but come on! Heck That's three Vs one. I agree it wasn't entirely necessary, but I think it was used as his final act of commitment to humanity. It may also set up some interesting issue in a sequel. I can live with it. I understand some of the musings, but people losing their top over it makes me scratch my head (not implying you are Dashl).
That said, I COMPLETELY agree that he was a bit lazy with urban protection. He smashed EVERYTHING! That seemed more than a little careless, enough so that I said it to my wife on the car ride home and she completely agreed.

I LOVED the Easter egg stuff. One more nod was at the final battle Zod throws Superman through a pair of Gas trucks with "Lexcorp" plastered on the side.
Spoiler:
I think it is important to remember this isn't Superman at the peak of his power or identity. You have so much of the start of the film about him trying to figure out who he is, and even when he wears the suit for the first time he doesn't even know he can fly. It takes a few tries before he kinda gets it. So the complaint that he let so much of Metropolis suffer and get hurt is not very Superman, I think can be partially excused by that. And if anything this gives a perfect in for Lex Luthor in Man of Steel 2: The Hardening. A charismatic billionaire goes all Haliburton and gobbles up reconstruction contracts and opts to build the city of tomorrow, but also starts articulating that Superman is a threat to humanity. His failure to stop the amount of killing that happened with collapsing buildings in his battle with Zod is proof that we should protect ourselves from this menace. Action Comics taps into this xenophobia and it should remain a constant tension for Superman.

I want to give mad props to Faora. She was bad ass. I really hope a few films later (assuming a healthy franchise) they could bring her back in a JL setup or something.

Overall I liked the movie a lot. I think Clark/Kal lacked some confidence I expect in Superman, but by the end it seemed he had it. I think it can work though Tom Welling will always be my Clark.

As for the Pete knowing, I'm not that upset since Pete Ross knows in various Superman comics, shows. I object more to the future vice president of the US working as the assistant manager at IHOP.
Like. Would see again.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum