The Elder Scrolls Online

A forum to discuss topics and issues outside of Star Wars The Old Republic. Warning: topics about Politics or Religion will be held to a higher standard of moderation due to the increased risk of flame wars. When in doubt be civil.
Dashl
Cardinal
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online

Post by Dashl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:19 pm

I missed the last invite I got, it was either the PS4 or Xbone weekend. Don't have an email for this one.

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:03 am

Just now got an email for it.

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:19 pm

ESO just seems to miss the whole point of what made ES so great.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:21 pm

I've heard that this game is going to be the biggest disappointment per development dollar spent in gaming history. I've not used my beta code.

Anyone comment?
Cuspar

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 pm

I only got in that first 4 hour stress test. Seemed alright then, just didn't get far. I patched it this weekend, but I have been too lazy on my vacation to do anything other than sleep and netflix.

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Cuspar wrote:I've heard that this game is going to be the biggest disappointment per development dollar spent in gaming history. I've not used my beta code.

Anyone comment?
In regards to Happyclam's comment, I am not full of the ES history so I can only comment based on my experience from Skyrim.

As far as being a big disappointment.... that may be a possibility. I have a tendency to go into things with little to no expectation, even if it is a franchise I am familiar with. This qualifies for Movies, Books, Music, Games... basically everything I try. This allows me to be a little more subjective and make those decisions to like or dislike without any predetermined prejudice toward any singular facet.

Playing this last Beta I will say this:

1. The Game looks absolutely fabulous, and in the parts of the world I traveled in I couldn't find any recognizable flaws. That being said, I also did not see anything groundbreaking either.

2. I have only played ranged DPS thus far (Archery). It feels very much like Skyrim bow mechanics, so that was a plus. Also, the visuals of the archery skills were pretty neat, but again nothing groundbreaking. However, the balance of the game seems to be towards melee and magic users. People playing archery toons were feeling pretty left out.

3. Some quest lines require you to use your own "money" to bribe NPC's to advance. I ran into no less than 3 of these instances in the 2 days I was in. At the end, I actually couldn't afford to advance my quest. I gave my opinions on this to the developers when I completed my post-beta survey.

4. The crafting looks intriguing, and I dabbled some. There is no tutorial for it so it was a bit confusing. I actually look forward to learning more of it.

5. Semi-interactive Fishing! lol, I was actually impressed.

This is what I know so far. Unless something has changed the endgame of ESO may be somewhat underwhelming as well, so I am not sure how that will play out. Also, I did not get into the PVP portion of the game, since I'm not that interested in it at this time.

Once this is out in April, I will most likely be playing it until EQNext releases though.

That being said, I will be participating in the EQNext Landmark Alpha/Beta starting in February if anyone is interested :rave:

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 pm

Can you still signup for the EQ beta?

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Yes, the Alpha wont be starting until at least the end of February I believe.

But this is just Landmark, which is the environment building program. The actual Game Beta does not have a date yet that I know of.

I could be totally confused too, don't rule out that option.

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:26 pm

Oh yeah,

I also meant to mention that the ESO beta wipes your toon completely after each Beta weekend concludes, so I most likely will not join another Beta Weekend until A: they stop doing that or B: near the very end of Beta prior to release.

2 days of questing and I got to level 7, not a real shot in the arm to keep doing it. I made that point in my survey too lol.

SWTOR Xp = too fast... ESO Xp = wayyy too slow

Rested Xp exists in ESO as well.

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:41 am

Yeah, LOTRO and SWTOR were pretty fast. I want to try the console version of ESO to see how that is.

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 am

I got an invite, but honestly, the game just doesn't do it for me. Yes, it's set in the Elder Scrolls universe, but it takes away the whole thing that made it unique, which is that /YOU/, as a player, had an impact on the world. What they've done is create a pretty generic MMO.

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Ok... I hope I'm not the only one but this Imerial Edition of getting ESO Bundled with AC IV is kinda making me interested, the only thing helping right now is that voice in the back of my head is saying that they are doing this because the game isn't selling well enough and that I'd likely only play for a couple months at best.

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Staris wrote:Ok... I hope I'm not the only one but this Imerial Edition of getting ESO Bundled with AC IV is kinda making me interested, the only thing helping right now is that voice in the back of my head is saying that they are doing this because the game isn't selling well enough and that I'd likely only play for a couple months at best.
It's not the voice in the back of your head. It's the voice in front of your Head. Just say NO to drugs!
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:29 pm

Wow, didn't see AC4 as a bundle, is that PC only or all of them?

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:13 am

Yeah, I already beat AC4.

I'm going to be playing in EQnext as well, Marrkin, so I'm up for teaming up. Also, the beta for The Repopulation will be coming around soon and I can send invites to 5 other people. Let the grovelling begin. Also, what unique/custom weapon skin do we want to create for the game?

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:38 am

Dashl wrote:Wow, didn't see AC4 as a bundle, is that PC only or all of them?
I would think pc as is seems to be through Uplay so unless the consoles have access to that.

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:46 am

Awesome, are you doing Landmark as well?

I need to read up on The Repop, I follow them on twitter so I catch some of the updates but can't catch them all.

Custom weapon skin? Hard to say lol.... it's the future but kinda tribal.... is there somewhere thats lists any limits to the shading or patterns? Id like to see some sort of photochromatic camo or nature print.

Sent from the Tab3 in my lap...

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:37 am

Staris wrote:
Dashl wrote:Wow, didn't see AC4 as a bundle, is that PC only or all of them?
I would think pc as is seems to be through Uplay so unless the consoles have access to that.

They both have Uplay, everything I have unlocked over the years on my 360 also showed up on my PS4 when I played AC4. AC4 was so much better than the third one.

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Marrkin wrote:Awesome, are you doing Landmark as well?

I need to read up on The Repop, I follow them on twitter so I catch some of the updates but can't catch them all.

Custom weapon skin? Hard to say lol.... it's the future but kinda tribal.... is there somewhere thats lists any limits to the shading or patterns? Id like to see some sort of photochromatic camo or nature print.

Sent from the Tab3 in my lap...
Here's the limits, from one of the lead developers:

One thing to note on the design anything. It would need to fit into a skill line. We won't develop new skill lines for these. But visually you have a lot of room to make it look how you have a weapon in your head. If you know a modeler or are a modeler, you could just send us the model. If you see a model in a movie or something and you'd want something similar (not exact due to copyrights), have a sketch, etc, those would all work. The main idea is to give you something that stands out. You will also be able to receive a recipe for this weapon so you can make copies, or if you prefer it to be available to other players and in-game that is also possible.

Someone also asked about particles. I'd say the general answer there is no. Because they can turn out to be quite a bit of work. But so long as it is something relatively simple (flaming, electrical, dripping acid, etc) we could probably hook it up. But we need the disclaimer otherwise because some people's ideas may be difficult to do in a particle, or may cause a performance hit. We do already have a variety of particle effects available for weapons in-game now though (the ones above all are in-game already, as are energized and some others), so basic particle designs would be easy to convert.

I suppose we need to come up with what skill line we want to follow, whether blunt instruments, pistols, rifles, polearms, etc. and then decide what we want it to look like. If we go with fist/blunt instruments, then I was thinking of a simple whiskey jug with XXX on the side.

And yeah, I'm doing Landmark.

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Just used one of the keys Curse is giving out so if anyone else is in this upcoming beta, I'll be on vent when I'm playing.

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:37 am

Not sure of times since I been architecturing my ass off in the EQNL alpha, but I will be on at some point.

When ya hop on, send me a PM or whatever. If I'm free I'll jump in.

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:35 am

I will be on.

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:05 pm

I got a key for this weekend. I loading up the game client now.
See you guys online.

Maizan
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Staris
Priest

Post by Staris » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:52 am

Apparently my ISP wants me to strangle someone so I may or may not be getting to play this weekend. Started early last night and all though today and only to 21%

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:02 am

I forgot to patch it last night, so I started today after work. I haven't even looked at it since I started.