The Hobbit Thread

A forum to discuss topics and issues outside of Star Wars The Old Republic. Warning: topics about Politics or Religion will be held to a higher standard of moderation due to the increased risk of flame wars. When in doubt be civil.
Dodd Formeianna
Priest
The Hobbit Thread

Post by Dodd Formeianna » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Anyone go to the midnight screening last night? Myr, Maizan and I are going this afternoon - I haven't been this stoked about a movie since Star Wars.

Spoiler alert from the 70s by Leonard Nemoy below with pointy-eared go-go dancers...your argument is invalid.

Furiel
Cardinal

Re: The Hobbit Thread

Post by Furiel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 pm

I'm seeing it Sat night.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm seeing it at the Showcase Lux Level tomorrow at 230.

Leather recliner, booze and actual food served? Yes please.
Cuspar eats dead people.

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:48 pm

In the spirit of the above diplomacy thread.
This is a horrible movie and you should not go see it!
:liessign:

Maizan.

But seriously love this movie better then lotr.
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Dodd Formeianna
Priest

Post by Dodd Formeianna » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 am

Maizan wrote:
But seriously love this movie better then lotr.
Ditto

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:16 pm

A lot of people complained about 48 FPS being horrible. While I despise 3D anyway, since it is never used to as good an effect as I think it should be, I didn't detect anything negative in this instance. Just seemed like a regular movie with some things just seemed out of place, but not able to really put your finger on it.

A lot of people complained about the pacing as well. I /really/ don't understand this argument and wonder if any of these idiots have actually read any of Tolkien's novels. It's not like the guy stuffed them with wall to wall action. The movie followed the pace of the novel excellently, I thought and picked up the epic feel, just...amazingly. The cinematography was exquisite.

The next complaint was that certain things were added that weren't in the novel. I honestly thought that it added to the characters and gave them a lot more depth.

I'm gonna have to reread the novel to really refresh my memory, but as for the movie overall, I enjoyed it immensely. I took my 9 year old daughter to it when she expressed interest in it. I figured it might be a little violent for her, but also that she would get bored because it was mostly talking. She surprised me by being engrossed the whole movie and didn't express boredom at all. By the end of it, she was excited and thought it was really good as well. I confirmed she wasn't going to pick up a sword and start slashing at people, so I think we're good on that front.

I thought the movie was well done, excellently paced to reflect the source material, and it didn't seem like it was 3 hours. It didn't make me question the length at all and I was simply trying to guess where the cutoff point was going to be. I would say that it's not really worth seeing it in 48 FPS as it didn't seem as anything worthwhile was added to it.

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 pm

I was under the impression that the stuff added was from The Silmarillion. I think it is time to do a re-read of the hobbit... :)
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:38 pm

Maizan wrote:I was under the impression that the stuff added was from The Silmarillion. I think it is time to do a re-read of the hobbit... :)
QFE.

And the Similarillion as well.
Cuspar eats dead people.

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:24 am

Maizan wrote:I was under the impression that the stuff added was from The Silmarillion. I think it is time to do a re-read of the hobbit... :)

Entirely possible, but I never finished the Silmarillion as it was boring as hell. More history than novel.

Skiggity
Bishop

Post by Skiggity » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:16 am

I came away quite pleased. Mostly it makes you wonder how New Zealand got so damned beautiful. Just once I wanted there to be a graffiti-scrawled 7-11 in the background.
-Skiggity, Sage DPS
Multiple Personality Disorder: Anna'Molie, Trooper Healer --- Alephia, Jedi Guardian Tank --- Butterchubbs, Jedi Sentinel DPS --- Little'Lincoln, Scoundrel --- Doctoracula, Operative Healer

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:01 am

Skiggity wrote:I came away quite pleased. Mostly it makes you wonder how New Zealand got so damned beautiful. Just once I wanted there to be a graffiti-scrawled 7-11 in the background.
I think you are confused, it was shot in New ZEALAND, not New JERSEY
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Furiel wrote:
Skiggity wrote:I came away quite pleased. Mostly it makes you wonder how New Zealand got so damned beautiful. Just once I wanted there to be a graffiti-scrawled 7-11 in the background.
You'd know, didn't they hire you and your sister to serve as models for the troll costumes?
Cuspar eats dead people.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Vespasian wrote:
Furiel wrote:
You'd know, didn't they hire you and your sister to serve as models for the troll costumes?
Says the guy who showed up in only a loin cloth and no makeup to play the goblin king...

The Plush Family:

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:41 pm

I am guessing it was half New Zealand, half Australia
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Dodd Formeianna
Priest

Post by Dodd Formeianna » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Maizan wrote:
I am guessing it was half New Zealand, half Australia
I couldn't help but notice that some of the Trollshaws...specifically...
Spoiler:
where the wargs/goblins cornered the party right before they took the back door to rivendell
...looked surprisingly like Rohan where Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn encountered the Rohirrim in TTT. And the mountain backdrop in the distance looked damn close to the kingdom of Gondor. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if at least some of the scenery/locations scouted were recycled from the previous movies.

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Furiel wrote:
Vespasian wrote:
Furiel wrote:
Says the guy who showed up in only a loin cloth and no makeup to play the goblin king...
Don't hate me because I don't need makeup to make a loin cloth look sexy.
Cuspar eats dead people.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Vespasian wrote:
Furiel wrote:
Vespasian wrote:
Furiel wrote:
So how much vaseline did they have to throw on the camera? Are we talking Barbara Walters levels?
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Blackferne wrote:
Vespasian wrote:
Furiel wrote:
Vespasian wrote:
Furiel wrote:
So how much vaseline did they have to throw on the camera? Are we talking Barbara Walters levels?
That's only the amount N'Jessi requires to copulate with you.
Cuspar eats dead people.

Fynn
Priest

Post by Fynn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:03 pm

So after nearly a year with the guild, I've come to the conclusion that Verpie is a douche. A hilarious, giant douche.

All hail Vercanian!
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Fynn wrote:So after nearly a year with the guild, I've come to the conclusion that Verpie is a douche. A hilarious, giant douche.

All hail Vercanian!
Verpie?
Cuspar eats dead people.

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Vespasian wrote:
Fynn wrote:So after nearly a year with the guild, I've come to the conclusion that Verpie is a douche. A hilarious, giant douche.

All hail Vercanian!
Verpie?
It's short for Vesp has herpies

The Plush Family:

Vespasian
Cardinal

Post by Vespasian » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Furiel wrote:
Vespasian wrote:

All hail Vercanian!
Verpie?
It's short for Vesp has herpies
Yes, I have herpies. Thats what happens when your sexually active.

By the way, you have to have another partner for you to be sexually active. This isn't like your high school and college years where you used your left hand and favorite sock.
Cuspar eats dead people.

Dodd Formeianna
Priest

Post by Dodd Formeianna » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Sorry to necro this thread, but in case you missed it in Theatres, the movie is now available in its entirety on youtube! Unfortunately it's in Russian with English subtitles...but I think they managed to translate the dialogue quite well. Enjoy!

Maizan
Priest

Post by Maizan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Dodd, you really are a sick bastard!

Gandalf's eye are crazy and I think he said Timmah owes him some money. :-)
___
Sorry, got nothin.

Dodd Formeianna
Priest

Post by Dodd Formeianna » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Maizan wrote:Dodd, you really are a sick bastard!

Gandalf's eye are crazy and I think he said Timmah owes him some money. :-)
I take that as a compliment.

...So does Gandalfski and Bilbov.

In soviet Russia, vee do not seek de dragon. Dragon seeks you.