ArmA 2 and the DayZ mod.

A forum to discuss topics and issues outside of Star Wars The Old Republic. Warning: topics about Politics or Religion will be held to a higher standard of moderation due to the increased risk of flame wars. When in doubt be civil.
Dashl
Cardinal
ArmA 2 and the DayZ mod.

Post by Dashl » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:55 am

Play this, or at least go to youtube and watch some videos on it.

Fynn
Priest

Re: ArmA 2 and the DayZ mod.

Post by Fynn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:44 am

My brother was JUST telling me about this. I'm hoping it hits the Steam sale-it will be an easy buy!
Fyyn Cob
'SWTOR Player. Healer. Scoundrel. You'll like him'

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:46 am

Looks amazing. Want.
Cuspar

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:28 am

I bought the bundle yesterday for 23 bucks. Probably will go lower, but it was 30 the day before that. I used the Six Updater and Six launcher method. I am doing pretty good by myself, I found a gun early, and a bunch of other "fresh off the beach" guys fled when they saw me. One guy on the VOIP chat told me he saw me, but didn't want any funny business. I led him to a rifle, and gave him ammo and a bear trap. I have been server hopping, because wherever the server is, it is that time of day in the game. I think an Alvis squad could be fun.

Happyclam
Deacon

Post by Happyclam » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Yeah. I've tried this out. If you want some more people to play with, check out over at http://fragtard.net/. They have a bunch of people playing who get together and help each other and such.

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:05 pm

http://www.arstechnica.com has a pretty good article on this game. It looks very intriguing. My only concern is that the grief potential is astronomical.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Raikir wrote:http://www.arstechnica.com has a pretty good article on this game. It looks very intriguing. My only concern is that the grief potential is astronomical.

Holy crap. Everything I read about this is awesome. I'm getting it today.
Cuspar

eke
Priest

Post by eke » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Two months ahead of you! :D

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:15 am

I know Leth bought it yesterday.

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:36 pm

What server are you playing on Dashl? I want to get the game and will need all the help I can get getting off the beach.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:08 pm

I play on multiple servers for several reasons. Your stats are saved on the server side, so even bouncing around, it will save your gear(if you don't die). Ping is another reason, so usually near Dallas for a server. Time of day is another reason, because if it is night here, then in the game it is night, and it is pitch black in the game, so I hop on a German server. A sniper got me, my first death to a player, so I have to start over.

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm

http://www.six-updater.net/

I used this to install the mods, and use it to pick the server I play on. Does everything for you.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Everything Windows related can fuck itself in its' fucking heart valves.

Edit: Because really, why the fuck is there even a "Run as administrator" option??? How about you just automatically damn well do it you fuckingly idiotic antiquated piece of shit operating system, huh? How about that, you shithead bitchass fucktard Windows pisshole??

PS - RUN STEAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR WHEN DOING THIS STUFF.

FUCK.

ME.

IN.

THE.

GOAT.

ASS.
Cuspar

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:36 pm

DayZ SixUpdater-Installer/Updater/Launcher (Official)

Six-Updater will automatically install the latest ARMA II: CO beta patch as well as update your DayZ mod files. It also includes a DayZ server browser.
1. If using Steam, run both ARMA2 and ARMA2: Combined Operations once to complete installation.
2. Download the latest version of Six-Updater from https://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/files
3. Run the Six-Updater exe file and install to the location of your choosing.
4. When install is complete, there will be two "Six" programs (Six Updater and Six Launcher). Run "Six Launcher."
5. You should see a DayZ themed program with a server browser. Click the Update button in yellow on the left.
6. When update is complete, select a server and pres Join.

The only problem I had was ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead wouldn't launch. I read various fixes, but the easiet way was to quit out of steam, then relaunch it as admin, and make sure you verify the files. It worked that time, then I quit out of the expansion pack, and loaded up the sixupdater/installer. I still haven't played the normal version of Arma 2.

Anyway, I told Cuspar in a text message today, this is a sandbox game. I think a lot of people will like that. If it ever comes out as a solo retail game, I will buy it on day 1. This has a lot of potential, but since it is still Alpha phase, it has some bugs and glitches in it.

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:31 am

Found two spools of barb wire. Created a semi safe place. Has a campfire in a construction building. I found four axes, and also enough parts to fix a car. No guns, food or water though. Or car.

I also don't know where I am. It tells you pretty quick what area you login at, but I missed it.

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:45 am

Installing DayZ now.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:08 am

The Alvis Death Squad of Devo, Dashl and Cuspar brought the pain to the zombies.

Cuspar
Cardinal

Post by Cuspar » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:14 am

Dashl wrote:The Alvis Death Squad of Devo, Dashl and Cuspar brought the pain to the zombies.
This has the potential to be the best game ever, it's FAR from that currently, but it's an absolute blast. I'm pretty sure I unlocked the "Crawl 20km with a broken femur and not die" achievement..

Very, very, very fun.
Cuspar

Bulwark
Cardinal

Post by Bulwark » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm

What is the long term playability like? It sounds like it would get repetitive quickly.

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Bulwark wrote:What is the long term playability like? It sounds like it would get repetitive quickly.
Well, there are still many unknowns in the game. But, since it is basically a sandbox, it is up to the players to determine. I would expect resource wars of some type (your player needs food and water or he dies), expand on the map, maybe coordinated zombie offensives from time to time.

The suspense of "any moment you can die and lose everything" makes every decision you make extremely important. Its pretty damn fun.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 pm

I should have started copying that map. The server reset left my guy in a bad place.
Swell Guy/Man's Man

Cuspar
Cardinal

ArmA 2 and the DayZ mod.

Post by Cuspar » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:43 pm

The desperation of trying to find stuff is very addictive. I really didn't want to quit when the server reset, but it was hella late already anyway. A squad of 8 people would be super fun.
Cuspar

Raikir
Priest

Post by Raikir » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Swell Guy/Man's Man

Dashl
Cardinal

Post by Dashl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Bulwark wrote:What is the long term playability like? It sounds like it would get repetitive quickly.
While items can spawn in the same place, its never the same item each time. You never start in the same place each time you die, so that really cuts down on how repetitive it can be.

eke
Priest

Post by eke » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Cuspar wrote:Everything Windows related can fuck itself in its' fucking heart valves.

Edit: Because really, why the fuck is there even a "Run as administrator" option??? How about you just automatically damn well do it you fuckingly idiotic antiquated piece of shit operating system, huh? How about that, you shithead bitchass fucktard Windows pisshole??

PS - RUN STEAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR WHEN DOING THIS STUFF.

FUCK.

ME.

IN.

THE.

GOAT.

ASS.
Why not tell us how you really feel Cuspar?