My desired Tanking Spec

A forum to discuss topics and issues relevant to the Republic Trooper class in Star Wars The Old Republic.
Blackferne
Archbishop
My desired Tanking Spec

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:54 pm

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801Go ... zZMcbZ0c.1

If I could get feedback I'd appreciate it. The idea is basically a PVE survival build. I'm not worried about threat gen so much as survival.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

Furiel
Cardinal

Re: My desired Tanking Spec

Post by Furiel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Only thing I can think of that you could do to increase survivability would be to move 2 points at the bottom of the tactics tree into the Cryo grenade cooldown reduction, probably take them from focused impact. A stunned mob does no damage to you, and a 10 second reduction on that CD means it's up at least once per fight.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Yeah I was pondering that. I guess I was banking on the CC being handled by the rest of the group and trying to pump up threat (since the rest of the spec kind of ignores it).
Jounville Blackferne

Furiel
Cardinal

Post by Furiel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Blackferne wrote:Yeah I was pondering that. I guess I was banking on the CC being handled by the rest of the group and trying to pump up threat (since the rest of the spec kind of ignores it).
Well one thing to keep in mind about the CC in ToR is that it seems to be like the Shaman Hex from WoW, the duration and the cooldown are about the same, so if someone breaks it early, there is no re-CCing unless someone didn't use theirs.

Like concussion shot (the commando CC) lasts 1 minute, with a 1 minute CD, so if I open with it then someone AoEs and breaks it early, I'm not reapplying because it's still down.
They say when you go on a quest for vengence to dig two graves. They underestimate me.

The Plush Family:
DPS - Furiel: Commando, T'ony: Slinger, Kessilee: VG, Ziraava: Sent
Tank - Montae: Shadow, Gaen: Guardian
Heals - Kam'ryn: Sage, Sabran: Soundrel

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Good point.

I won't be spending those points for a while though so I have time to see how habits+threat ramp up.
Jounville Blackferne

Reese
Priest

Post by Reese » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:51 pm

After taking on Vangaurd by accident, I will say that more of your points tend to flow to sheilding because, well, tank.

However, Furiel has a point, the cooldowns and gaps between being able to use certain bolts and shots can really hurt, even with the little damage you end up taking.

I have found that the one off bolt shots or cell enhancements are not that helpful, focus on getting a really kick ass rifle, and decrease the damage you take. Then pour the rest of your points into removing cooldown wait times so you can fire faster not necessarily harder.

Not sure if that makes sense.
This... I Command!

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:14 pm

This is what I'm currently rocking.
Jounville Blackferne