Vanguard DPS

A forum to discuss topics and issues relevant to the Republic Trooper class in Star Wars The Old Republic.
Blackferne
Archbishop
Vanguard DPS

Post by Blackferne » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:45 pm

http://dalborravindication.enjin.com/fo ... nguard-dps

I'm going to give it another go now that I can field respec. Posting this as a bookmark mostly.
Jounville Blackferne
Archbishop of the Church of Alvis
Dungeon Master of the Tabletop Forum

TimmySchneeks
Priest

Re: Vanguard DPS

Post by TimmySchneeks » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Nice, this will be useful for my new vanguard too, thanks
TimmySchneeks | Boccior - Gunslinger | Qixx - Sage Healer | Lagdalen - Guardian Tank | Tom'Mato - Vanguard DPS | Käylëë - Sentinel

Noreek
Friend of Alvis

Post by Noreek » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Here's a guide I found recently also from the writer of the ops Column on Corellia Run Radio: http://corellianrun.com/2013/02/08/oper ... -vanguard/

That guy plays a Powertech, but that should be easy enough to translate I suppose.

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Last night I added Aim augments to a good portion of my gear. I got the Gold Scalene set from the cartel market last week for this purpose. It is not a mix of a few BH level gear, some columni, some tionese, and a few tank pieces like relic or whatever until I can get good replacements.

Buffed (not stimmed) on the practice dummy in my ship I was peaking at around 1k, but probably averaged closer to 900-950. Spent time learning the priority and noticed that free high impact bolt procs (I'm assault spec) have the audio clue of a maniacal cackle.
Jounville Blackferne

TimmySchneeks
Priest

Post by TimmySchneeks » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:10 am

Running a pure tactics build now and loving it:

Everyone on the forums is either whining about Vanguard nerfs and signing really meaningful petitions about it or talking pure PVP, so I'm not sure how this build really stacks up for PVE. Any obvious missteps? The rotation feels pretty straightforward but if you miss some of the procs or hit stuff out of order, or let Gut drop off for too long, the DPS will definitely suffer.

Rotation is a bit like:

1. Sticky Grenade (as I'm running to target)
2. Gut
3. Fire Pulse (procs free stockstrike, 1 stack of pulse generator)
4. Stockstrike (procs automatic Hight Impact Bolt crit)
5. High Impact Bolt
6. Ion Pulse x2 (2 more stacks of pulse generator)
7. 3-stacked Pulse Cannon
8. Depending on ammo and what's off CD, sticky grenade/full auto/hammer shot/Ion Pulse until Fire Pulse is off CD, then back to step 2.

I try to do 2-7 in order for the procs(with sometimes a hammer shot between the 2x ion pulse), and I'll hit Gut earlier if it drops off the target. "Step 8" is obviously kind of a mess, I haven't really gotten a good timing down for the fire pulse cooldown. If I need it I will pop Reserve Powercell before Pulse Cannon to get a free 25-cell ability and 3(ish) seconds of regen.

Also, for burst/burn phase I'll pop battle focus and throw a shoulder cannon in between steps 1-8 of the rotation.

And...6-second interrupts!
TimmySchneeks | Boccior - Gunslinger | Qixx - Sage Healer | Lagdalen - Guardian Tank | Tom'Mato - Vanguard DPS | Käylëë - Sentinel

Marrkin
Bishop

Post by Marrkin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:35 pm

TimmySchneeks wrote:I haven't really gotten a good timing down for the fire pulse cooldown.
Not sure if you use it, and I know it isn't directly what you mean.... BUT I have found it very useful to alter my Cooldown options to Type 3 animation and Type 3 Cooldown Text. It tends to be easier for me to somewhat instantly crunch visible numbers to help determine what things I can fit in between cooldowns.

Also Timmeh.... YU NOT SIGNED FOR RAID?

Blackferne
Archbishop

Post by Blackferne » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Marrkin wrote:Also Timmeh.... YU NOT SIGNED FOR RAID?
Thanks for reminding me.
Jounville Blackferne

TimmySchneeks
Priest

Post by TimmySchneeks » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:24 pm

I always forget Monday is the *end* of the raiding week.

Also yes, adding CD text was a game-changer for sure (would be nice for dots, eh?), I'm just not as comfortable with the vanguard filler abilities as I am with the slinger. I think tactics has easier resource management than dirty fighting though, and I'm within about 1-200 DPS on the dummy with fairly inferior gear, so I think it's still a very powerful class.